Thinking of trying Kindle Scout for "Doe Velvet"

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am closing in on finishing a fantasy romance novella (Doe Velvet) destined for self-publishing on Kindle. The cover art is already underway. I was considering giving Kindle Scout a go as it uses up no extra rights and might be good publicity. And if it does just picked up by Kindle Publishing that comes with a nice advance payment. Has anyone tried it or have thoughts about it?

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=absowrit-20

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this for a YA title in the works, so I would love to hear if anyone's tried it. I browse the titles on Kindle Scout just to get a feel for what's there, but I don't know how hard it is to gain traction or how popular your title must be to get a contract.

But otherwise, it's just thirty days which in the long run isn't that long at all. I guess the biggest downside of 'failing' on Scout is morale loss. It would sap a lot of my release energy, I think.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Okay, now that the madness has passed and I went to look at what other authors said about Kindle Scout, it's a big fat Nope.

The terms are weighted far too much in favor of Amazon. The reversion clauses look like they're set up to be a trap from the first, with some very unclear language about earning thresholds. Unless an author already has a huge contact list they can leverage, there's no way they'll win the popularity contest. Even if they win, publication is at Amazon's discretion. That $1500 advance...could be nearly negated by the winner's contractual obligation to give away free copies to all supporters of the winning book. Since it's exclusive to Kindle, it looks like Amazon is fishing among young-author YA writers for cheaply obtained content for Kindle.

My writing will never win that kind of contest. So, nope. I use and plan to use other Amazon services, just not Scout.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I find concerning about Kindle Scout, too. You've got to cover the costs of editing and cover design yourself, so you've already got out of pocket expenses going in. If everyone (i.e. family and friends) who votes for your book gets a free copy, there go your guaranteed sales. Maybe the $1500 up front would offset that loss; maybe it wouldn't.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It's clear what Amazon gets from it, as they get authors with guaranteed audiences. But for someone with that guaranteed audience, it doesn't look like a great deal. If you have enough support to win the contest, you're not going to do badly in general sales either.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To my eyes $1500 is a reasonable profit from a short novel in many genres even if that is all it ever makes. So unless that is much less than the author is routinely making then the free copies do not seem a deal breaker, although unclear reversion criteria might be. I doubt the voters are in their thousands based on the traffic I see.

Getting lots of votes might help a book get selected, but they are clear throughout that it is a standard editorial decision. Hot books are often not selected -- and some of the selected were not hot books.

So I am not seeing this as an auto-no. I would take the $1500 in the hand over going straight to self-publishing. Which is the other obvious option for a book I already have a cover and print-ready manuscript for

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, I appreciate that being highlighted. I am going to give it a closer look. Although with edits it seems the book I was thinking to taking there will be under the minimum work count.