PDA

View Full Version : Give me back my time and money cheater! A review (read rant) thread.

Another User
03-03-2016, 06:55 AM
I just have this idea of a thread where we can review bad books for fun (not sure if this is the right thread). But as the title say, the "bad book" here doesn't mean a book you can't like just at a glance (because if it is you won't read it in the first place). It is a book that has a very good setting, plot, characters... in short a book that shows a lot of protential and is promising enough to keep you hooked for a while. But as you read on and on it fails to use its protential to the fullest, or even turns out to be so bad that all of the protential seems more pretentious than promising, and in the end you realize that you have wasted your time and money for something you shouldn't have read in the first place. In short, this is a thread for books that trick you into thinking they will be good, only to turn horrible to your dismay :Soapbox:

The books don't have to be universally accepted to be bad, they can be best-sellers that just don't deserve the honor in your opinion. You can rant about any book, as long as they meet these criteria:

The book is bad in your opinion. It is purely an opinion thing.
The book actually has a lot of protential in the beginning, but just can't keep up as it goes on.

Sometimes we just need to let off steam a bit. :guns::box:

Note: this thread is purely for fun and dedicated for personal opinion, so please don't take the reviews too seriously :flag:. And please no flame-war!

be frank
03-03-2016, 07:01 AM
Believe me, I've read many bad books and plenty of awfully disappointing books, but I fear this thread may tread a little too close to the RYFW line...

JMHO, of course :)

Brightdreamer
03-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Believe me, I've read many bad books and plenty of awfully disappointing books, but I fear this thread may tread a little too close to the RYFW line...

JMHO, of course :)

+1

I tend to save my book rants for my own review blog/site, and I do my best to separate author from book when I do.

I will say that there's always something extra-disappointing about a book that has so much promise behind it - a great concept, or a neat cast, or an author who's entertained me previously - that ultimately lets me down.

jjdebenedictis
03-03-2016, 08:56 AM
I've forgotten both the title and author of this book (no loss, there), so I thankfully can't run afoul of RYFW, but this novel I'm thinking of did exactly this. It was science fiction, and it had one of the most intriguing ways of ending the world I've come across. A new form of birth control was put on the market, which seemed much safer, easier to tolerate, and more effective than other methods. It was only when the next generation of young women were trying to have kids that the world realized this stuff had made the daughters of women who used the drug prior to getting pregnant sterile from birth. There was no fixing the problem retroactively; the human population was about to undergo a slow, but massive crash.

I mean, what a great idea! Oh, the interesting sociological questions an author could explore!

Instead, the story focused on some basic white guy doing manly, heroic things with a female side-kick whose personality changed at random. I mean, wouldn't the obvious, interesting choice for a protagonist in that world be a fertile young woman? But no, it's got to be a man saving the world by finding the McGuffin.

Haggis
03-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, no. While it might be fun, it definitely crosses the RYFW line. Besides, we have a lot of active authors as members who might be using a handle rather than their name to post here. So, sorry.

Appeal to Mac if you'd like, but it ain't happening on my watch.