PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions on FaceBook Ads...

PeteDutcher
03-02-2016, 11:15 PM
...in regard to promoting individual books (fiction I guess), has anyone seen success that can be attributed to their Facebook Ads?

Second, how does the whole ad thing work there? Cost-wise?

Abderian
03-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Some good advice is available free from Mark Dawson: http://blog.reedsy.com/facebook-ads-for-authors-mark-dawson-interview

Old Hack
03-05-2016, 12:01 PM
I think several of our members have tried them and I remember more instances of people saying they didn't help than of people saying they brought in good results. You could read some of our self publishing diaries to see if there are references there.

verbaleyze
04-03-2016, 09:08 AM
There are several types of ads and the result honestly depends on your audience.

First question to ask yourself: Is your audience even regularly on Facebook? Are they the types of people who would share your post-- and if not, what types of posts might they share? If they share your posts, how can you make sure people know it's about you or from you? If your audience is younger, odds are they're most likely to spend time on Instagram, Tumblr, Reddit, etc.

While ads to boost your page itself will work for some people, you'll probably get the most for your money by boosting posts. Whenever you have a popular post taking off organically, you can keep it on people's radar (appearing at the top of their feed) and get other people's eyes on it via boost-- then it keeps getting shared and keeps generating interest.

Ads to boost your page are best when you have a specific niche and audience in mind (e.g. historical fiction from a specific period or writing about a specific subject that doesn't have a saturated market like a book with a deaf main character vs. a general fantasy novel with dragons).

You can run ads/boost posts for as low as $1, but how much you're willing to spend is up to you.

MythMonger
05-09-2016, 08:24 PM
My only experience is with promoting products for my non book related company, so I'm not sure how well that translates to promoting a book.

The main thing you want is an easily targetable audience. I remember several years back when I saw an ad for "Song of Achilles" on my newsfeed. I assumed this was because I "liked" Greek Mythology or the Iliad, or both.

There might be a way to target the fans of other books. Say you think those who like Game of Thrones enough to proclaim it on their FB profile will like your book. You could gear the ad towards them, specifying them as the target audience.

I agree with the advice about promoting a post. In my experience, these are far cheaper than the general ads and many people don't realize they're looking at an ad. Don't forget that you can promote posts beyond your own followers, with targeting methods that I described above.

Hope this helps.

ETA: just saw an ad on FB for Slaughterhouse Five and I clicked on "why am I seeing this ad?"

About This Facebook Ad

Close (https://www.facebook.com/#)

Why Am I Seeing This Ad?

Options (https://www.facebook.com/#)

One reason you're seeing this ad is that Easton Press Books (https://www.facebook.com/Easton-Press-Books-187153414657653/) wants to reach people interested inSlaughterhouse-Five, based on activity such as liking Pages or clicking on ads.
There may be other reasons you're seeing this ad, including that Easton Press Books wants to reach people ages 22 and older who live or were recently in the United States. This is information based on your Facebook profile and where you've connected to the internet.

Let us know if this topic interests you
Slaughterhouse-Five

(on my FB profile under Books I liked Slaughterhouse Five)

Dhewco
05-13-2016, 01:44 AM
I've used FB ads during a kindle countdown once.

I spent:
21 dollars

Result:
2 books at .99 cents durring the abovementioned period
1 book shortly after the ad countdown period
600 pages read posted during the countdown period

Basically, I spent 21 dollars to net 3dollars. I'm not sure I can really count the pages read. No way to tell when they were actually read.

I can't exactly call that a success, but it looks like I had five people who read my book that were not my FB friends or twitter followers. I consider that good news. Any positive, lol.

Denevius
07-04-2016, 11:30 AM
The way I see it, one can spend a specific amount of money on ads every month, or really break the bank on ads. However, if the product just isn't very good, the ads won't increase sales.

The real question isn't if FB ads work. The real question is will a well-written novel get increased sales if more people see it through increased spending on ads?