Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
On another thread, I spoke about a charitable Trust in India I worked with for a while. Among its many projects, the Trust founded a school for poor rural children, most of whom had no access to schooling, or even if they did, have to work to help support their families. The criteria for entering the school is the ability and wish to learn, and that the parents support the pupil's attendance by sending them to school and giving them time for homework. If need be, the parents are helped financially to make up for the child's lost labour.
The school is for children aged 3 to 18, and finishes with a leaving certificate that enables the kids to go to college. There is a free local college they can attend.
From the beginning, the school had a very high standard. It is financed entirely by donations from the West,and I believe after a while an Ameircan charity took over the running expenditures. The poorest children are supported by a Western sponsor, who paid about $30 a month for the child's education. Buildings and equipment were financed by private Western donors.
Unusual about this school is that it is English Medium. That is so special in India, and English opens so many doors, that it soon became a desired school even for the children of wealthier parents, who pay a school fee. It has science labs, computer room, library, and apart form the usual subjects teaches classical music and dance - all for free for the poor.

For the last few years the daughter of a gardener I know has been corresponding with me. I met her two years ago in her home. She lives in a one room hut with thatched roof, no furniture or running water or toilets; they all sleep on the ground, cook over a primitive fire, etc. There are only two children, the girl (her name is Uthra) and her younger brother.
Her letters are rather comical; she writes good English, but sometimes in the highblown typical Indian style, but uses teen slang such as "u" for you. She calls me Auntie, and refers to my husband (whom she's never met) as Uncle. Always very polite, with wishes for our good health, prayers etc.
She attends the above school, and is very motivated. She has just passed her final exams and is eager, not to go to the local college, but farther afield - Madras, probably - to University. She wants to study, of all things, Aeronautics. I registered this with some amazement, because this girl has probably never even seen a plane flying overhead (they don't cross that village) much less been inside one. She's had this dream for over a year now, and keeps mentioning it to me in her letters. When I offered to send her some books (I was thinking along the lines of some YA novels) she ased for a book on Aeronautics. I went to the biggest bookshop in Britain (Foyles) but could not find a suitable book.
Anyway - in a recent letter she says that her education will cost about £8000, and asked if I could help in any way. That amount is a fortune to the family - no way they can afford it, and there is no government help. Unfortunately, it's also a fortune to me at the moment, as we are going through financial straits right now. But I find this girl's ambition so quirky and fascinating, I told her I'd try and help and asked her to send a photo, which she did; I'll scan it and post it here later.
I've been wondering what I could do. First I though of starting a little charity of my own to raise the funds, but rejected that idea as it would take too long, and I haven't got the time to canvas for help. I though of writing to British Independent girls' schools: they have students from very rich families at such schools and they have such a bad conscience that they love to do their bit for others. But again, that would be a very big project for me at this time. I thought of writing an article, but it's not newsworthy enough, I feel; though I might try that anyway.
So I was wondering if anyone knows of some kind of educational charity I could turn to, that supports individual cases like this. Or maybe you have a rich spinster aunt who would like to sponsor her, or something.
She is about 18 now, and really deserves help. She's a lovely girl, very simple, humble and sweet.

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Well, this is going to seem random but...do you have a website? I heard a story of a guy who wanted to propose to his wife but didn't have the money to buy a ring. He built a website, found some advertisers, and begged people to visit the ads pages a few times a day. If you have a website with a decent amount of 'hits', that could work out...

Of course, this may not be plausible, but since I can help in no other way, thought I'd offer up that idea.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
special needs said:
Wow. Well, this is going to seem random but...do you have a website? I heard a story of a guy who wanted to propose to his wife but didn't have the money to buy a ring. He built a website, found some advertisers, and begged people to visit the ads pages a few times a day. If you have a website with a decent amount of 'hits', that could work out...

Of course, this may not be plausible, but since I can help in no other way, thought I'd offer up that idea.

Yes, I do have a website, and this was one of my first ideas... but - for one, I don't have enough hits to generate much of a fund. People might give $5 or $10, but how long would that take? Last year I did a similar thing for flood victims in Guyana and I hardly collected anything at all - I think about $40.

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
Could you possibly build a website specifically for this purpose? If some of the members of AW visited a few times a day to click a few ads, you could generate some money, I suppose. Don't have any other ideas but I'll talk to my dad and see if he can do anything.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Make this a sticky thread

What’s wrong with this web site? You’ve posted a plea, this is an international forum and viewed by many...everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------

My suggestion would be:

1. Make this a sticky thread here in “Office Party”.

2. Acquire an account at a bank as a trust fund. Post the name and address of the bank and the name of the account.

I don’t know why this can’t be done.

How much in US dollars is £8000 worth?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
An online currency converter gave £8000 as $14259

As for this website - that never even occured to me! What do others think? I also had the idea of writing an article for our local newspaper; they know me a bit as a local author and might be wiling to publish something.

GPatten said:
What’s wrong with this web site? You’ve posted a plea, this is an international forum and viewed by many...everywhere.

My suggestion would be:

1. Make this a sticky thread here in “Office Party”.

2. Acquire an account at a bank as a trust fund. Post the name and address of the bank and the name of the account.

I don’t know why this can’t be done.

How much in US dollars is £8000 worth?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound harsh, but ...

She lives in a home without running water or a toilet.

She has the chance for an education.

For some reason, she has decided she wants to study a subject which will cost $15,000 USD, and which it is totally unknown if she has any aptitude or ability for. More than that - the subject is unlikely to benefit the others in her community.

Honestly - it sounds like an utter waste of money. I'm sure she's a wonderful girl, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

For a start, how good is her matrix mathematics? Can she calculate an eigenvalue? Will it be assumed that she can do basic tasks such as locate datasheets & research papers on the web?

Does she know the difference between Aeronautics and Aviation? Does she even know enough about the subject to know that it is what she wants to study !!!?

What will happen if she struggles for a few years before dropping out - only to face the guilt of watching family & community members suffer for the want of tools & education that would cost $100, when she has used more than 150 times that getting no result?

I'd hate to be the killjoy here, but it doesn't sound like pouring $15,000 into this project will necessarily improve her life.

Wish you well, though.

Mac

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Mac H. said:
This is going to sound harsh, but ...

Mac
Not at all harsh, Mac, just realistic and down to earth; I have asked myself some of these questions myself, and in fact I fully intend to ask her some more searching questions before starting anything; it's too much money to be responsible for, without knowing more details.

Though she is poor, she has had an excellent schooling, in every way equal and even above that of a child living in an Indian metropolis, with state of the art equipment. She will have had a solid science training up to school cerfticate level, and I feel certain that she must "know the difference", however I shall ask her specifically this, and also what led her to choose this subject. I myself don't know what an eigenvalue is, but if it is required to pass her exams, she will have learned it. In India the juxtaposition of primitive and high-tech can be seen at every corner, so I don't think her background is a problem; Indians do extremely well in the sciences - especially in computer science - and many of them come from very poor backgrounds.

Though the idea od a girl from this background studying aeronautics impresses and tickles me, I too would have preferred if she had chosen, say, medicine or dentistry instead, or even just plain engineering, subjects she could well use to help her own community. She has been given a great deal, and children at the school have been taught responsibility and giving back to the community; it's part of the school ethos. They are very high on serving the community. I'd like to question her on this. Aeronautics does seem a little divorced from village life.

I don't think her life situation has much relevance to her ability to finish a subject she has once chosen; I think if she gets the money and is accepted for a specific course she'll do her level best. That's the message she sends my daughter in every letter to me: work hard and get the highest qualification. Education is held as the very highest good here. When the villagers were asked what they wanted most it was that: good schools for thier children. I don't think she would waste the gift of education, and I won't assume failure; but I do want her to be quite sure it's the right subject, and for her to have an inkling of what she can do with it. If she gets a well paying job in Chennai (Madras) then she'll be able to help her family, and she will, but that shouldn't be all.

Thanks for your sensible comments, and I'll be back with more information as soon as I get it.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Mac H. said:
This is going to sound harsh, but...
Mac

Grossly negative and unrealistic comes to mind Mac, sorry bout that.

Another thing:
For a start, how good is her matrix mathematics? Can she calculate an eigenvalue?

I’m scratching my head wondering what that all means. I’ve never heard of matrix mathematics and eigenvalue. As the boys on the streets would say, “That’s a mouthful”.

I’ve worked with people from Cuba, China, and the Philippines and they’ve all done quite well and were very eager to learn. We should be as eager to learn what the third world people are capable of learning. It may be surprising.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The website thing is a good idea. I think if at least the regular AWers clicked on the website's adds once every day, you could harvest a decent amount of money. I could do that (since I can't give donations directly *sigh*).

Also, I don't think the career of her choice is a bad one. My cousin just went to study cinematography, and in Mexico the film industry is a no-no unless you're already seriously famous. I don't see anything wrong with that. She could work elsewhere and earn more money than she would on another job here.

Motivation is everything.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, my husband is a Rotary International Member. This is a service group that is world wide and they do good works for various projects at home and abroad. For instance the club here took on a project to bring water to a village in Africa. They ve been instrumental in eradicating Polio in 3rd world countries. I m sure that you have local Rotary Club in your area, my suggestion would be to contact someone and tell them about this young woman s situation. I don t know if they take on *individuals* as projects, but they may be able to give some ideas to you.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, before you try to raise even a dime, please consider:

1) It's quite possibly $15,000 per year. Can you keep up the effort of raising funds for the length of time it would take her to get a degree? I speak from the experience here of having spent a year raising funds to help Ally and her brother go to Nicaragua on a mission trip. Fundraising can be exhausting, and consume whatever spare time you happen to have. It's not a very easy way to amass money.

2) I'd be horribly suspicious, if I were you. You met this child once, two years ago, and have been exchanging letters, but do you really know her? Have you talked to the teachers at the school to see if the request is legit and realistic?

As someone who is a caring person, willing to give my last penny if necessary, I don't like to think that "sweet, innocent" people from third-world countries are out to scam me, but the reality is that some of them are, even ones I've met.

3) What efforts has she made to raise funds on her own behalf, other than asking you? Even in India, there are churches and scholarships and such-like. Has she investigated?

Check all this out before you consider raising even a single penny. If everything checks out, and you still want to go ahead, talk to local churches and service groups, and see if any of them might be willing to take on this project, or to help you find an "angel" for this girl to help her complete her education.

I'm not certain that raising funds via the internet or a sticky in office party is such a good idea. As someone said up-thread, it's probably not very effective. It's likely the market is saturated, so unless people already know you, they're not likely to contribute, or even come across your site. You're more likely to get a response from people you can talk to face-to-face.

I'd also be aware, when giving, that the $15,000 spent to give this girl an education that wouldn't benefit her village could provide a heck of a lot of assistance for others in her village. Have you talked to her about that, and about the possibility of alternative careers that might help both her and her village.

(Though I'm mindful, too, that her whole point might be to get out of the village and never come back, which would be understandable.)

rich

This'll sound a bit callous, but I don't read posts as lengthy as yours, Aruna. No offense, but I just don't. Your cause may be just, your intentions pure, but I don't read lenghty posts. Trim it down to a third, and make shorter paragraphs and I'll read it and make whatever comments I can. Sorry, just me.

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read lengthy posts either, unless they're seperated into small paragraphs. However, I read Aruna's because I could tell by the title that there was someone in need of help...and it was 1 am in the morning which meant I had nothing to do. In any case, I think the extra information that Aruna put in leaves a bigger impact.

Basically, there's a girl that Aruna corresponds with that needs 15,000 for her education. Aruna wanted ideas for ways she could help the girl.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Now there’s another good idea

Now there’s another good idea too, I like that. I wonder if there’s a Rotary organization in the United Kingdom where Aruna lives?

Aruna, I think you might accomplish both of these things if the girl as young as she is can post a letter of her intentions and goals? You could copy them and personally take them to your Rotary organization near you; write up a formal business letter as a plea and hand them your plea and the girls letters explaining her goal.

-----------------------------------------------------

The important information that you must point out is:

1. Her age.

2. Her school accomplishment, and don’t forget to mention about hurtles she’s climbed to accomplish them.

3. Her intent on gaining her goal.

4. Her understanding of Aeronautics and the University in Madras.

5. Find out if she has any material from them on courses in Aeronautics. You need to be armed with everything you can present to them to sway them.

-----------------------------------------------------

Good luck and keep plugging.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'm going to be another wet blanket...

In this region, it's common for people to beg for money, whether they need it or not. They might beg by walking up to your vehicle and tapping on your windows or shaking a can with change until you give something up, or it might be accosting you as you leave a mall, or it could be by using a vehicle with loud speakers to drive through neighborhoods or by taking ads out in newspapers. Those begging for money make claims like they have nothing to eat, their mother/grandmother/child needs an operation to save their lives, or whatever.

There are begging rings - the ringleaders will drive their people to an area, leave them to beg all day, then drive them home at the end of the day, taking a cut of the proceeds. Some of these beggars who look indigent rent babies or children for the day (higher profits) and some of them make more money begging than they would if they were, say, working as a maid or a house servant. It makes financial sense to them to beg - there's more money in it!

There is no regulation here. Organizations can operate as if they're charitable without registering.

Who knows what any of these people/organizations do with their money.

What is known is that corruption is rampant and a lot of people will do anything to scam other people out of money. House servants will tell their employers that a family member needs an operation/family member has died to get extra days off and to get extra money from the employer.

Who knows if the man asking for money to operate on his son's leg really even has a son - for all you know, the money's so that he can finish building his house or buy a car. Yes, that happens here, and it's common. Even registered charitable organizations collect money to use for purposes other than helping people. Oh heck, government officials do it all the time, so why not others, too?

I'm not saying that this girl is corrupted or lying. I am saying that corruption and lying are a part of the culture, and it's difficult to tell what's really going on, even to people who are living in the area and are familiar with all the cultural norms.

Given that this girl has the opportunity to go to a free college, she won't lose out if she doesn't get the money to go to the expensive college. She can still get an education. It may not be in the area she wants, but if aeronautics is that important to her, she can transfer to the other university later.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
Grossly negative and unrealistic comes to mind Mac, sorry bout that.

I’ve worked with people from Cuba, China, and the Philippines and they’ve all done quite well and were very eager to learn. We should be as eager to learn what the third world people are capable of learning. It may be surprising.
Aruna got my meaning, but I obviously didn't communicate my point particularly well.

Of course I know that people in the third world are capable of learning! However, there is a lot of 'assumed knowledge' even in first year engineering & science courses. I also found it a bit of 'pot luck' as to whether people had aptitude or interest in their chosen subjects. I went to school with a friend, we both started University with the same subjects - and he dropped out and I stayed. The difference? Not that he was less capable, simply that the course happened to suit me & not him. It was luck - it could have been the other way around. We were both equally ignorant of our chosen profession.

I’m scratching my head wondering what that all means. I’ve never heard of matrix mathematics and eigenvalue. As the boys on the streets would say, “That’s a mouthful”.
Matrix mathematics (& eigenvalues) are fairly important part of engineering subjects. They are used in fluid dynamic calculations (particularly vorticies) as used in, say, Aeronautics. (I don't know the breakdown of the exact aeronautics course - I've assumed there is an element of Aeronautical Engineering in there)

Please - I wasn't assuming that she was stupid or unable to learn. However, I was worried that since she states that she knows basically knows NOTHING about the subject, it is impossible that she would know if that is really what she is suited for.

Studying aircraft sounds fun. Spending hours struggling with fluid dynamic calculations for university assignments is not.

Good luck,

Mac

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
I could learn a lot from you guys. I always just give people my money. This is strange behavior, considering my family consists of some of the cheapest -insert bad word- around. I give people money, when I know they have money. For instance, I'm not allowed to work in my dad's resturants anymore, because I kept trying to give people raises. :Shrug:

I should stop...probably.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thank you for all your comments, suggestions,and warnings - much appreciated.

I'd like to give a bit of background. I've been visiting this area for over thiry yers, and know the Indians well. I was involved with a charitable organisation that is very active in the region, and over the years we "helpers" have learned to be very sceptical when requests for help come in. All individiual requests are thoroougly researched, the families investigted, and after a while you learn to tell the genuine cases from the scammers. On the whole, it's not a very dishonect region, perhaps because it's a very famous place of pilgrimage and the people who live there, and especially those who have had contact with the charitable organisation I mentioned, are genuinly religious.

You also kind of get to know which professions you can trust, which not. Rickshaw drivers, no. Trust employees, yes.

This girl's father has been a Trust gardener for over 30 years. The Trust is extremely strict with its employees; any evidence of wrongoing, pilfering, lysing, cheating, and they are out. I've seen them come and go over the years, and those that remain for decades, well you can be sure that they are trustworthy.

At one point in my life I was going there every year for four or five weeks; it's home to me. The people, Indians who work there, are not strangers.

Solai (her father) has always been one of my favourite gardeners; one builds relationships with these people, and gets to know them thoroughly over time.
Solai has a solid job and is a hard worker; he is not a beggar. Once, he told me that the roof to his house leaked during the rainy season, I helped him replace it. That is all.
He wrote me to thank me, and expressed the gratitude of his whole family. I think that's when his daughter Uthra first sent me a little note, of thanks.

Last year in February I was back in India after a long absence, and I met Solai again; he invited me to his home. That's when I met his wife and Uthra, and that's when Uthra first told me of her ambitions. At first she wanted to correspond with my daughter, who is two years younger, and wrote her three or four letters. My daughter soon lost interest, and stopped replying, and so as not to disappoint Uthra I wrote her instead. She has never come to me with a money request until now, and I am sure that even if I can't help she will continue to write.

So you see, I am not just a naive do-gooder, and I'd never just dole out money to a stranger. As I said, I'm going to question Uthra a lot more, find out exactly what the money is for (yearly? for the entire course?) and how much will be needed in future, where she will live, etc etc.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Aruna, I'd forgotten about your knowledge and experience with India. I have a poor memory to start with, but it's even worse when I have headaches, which I've had all day - my brain short circuits or something. I'm sorry I'd forgotten that you would know all about the corruption and culture and whatnot. Thank you for reminding me. I hope I didn't cause any ill feelings because of my comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.