Shut up, Brain

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have this thing my brain does when I'm writing and it's getting late, so I have to stop and go to bed. I'll fall asleep, but it's like my brain keeps problem-solving for me about where to go in the next scene or how to resolve some conflict, so I get stuck in this infinite-brain-dream-loop where it's coming up with absurd ideas that makes sense when I'm less conscious and are clearly problematic when I'm more conscious, so it starts over again with another cycle of problem-solving and prevents me from falling into a deep sleep.

Or it'll take my characters and stick them in an entirely different story with all new characters. Last night, for example, I was inside the body of one of my MCs, living in some fictional house, and some chick from this show I was watching earlier was acting as a double spy between me and this other fictional guy whose name was apparently "El Rouche" (does that even mean something???) who was mad at me for foiling his attempt to burn my dad's house down because my dad didn't do something El Rouche wanted him to do so now he was going to burn my house down, which meant I had to stay awake to keep an eye on him, where he was set up across the street in the neighbor's house, and I wanted to lock my doors but couldn't because my husband thought it was silly to lock the doors. Oh, and it's incredibly restful to be asleep and dreaming that you can't be asleep because danger, in case you were wondering. :tongue

Please, tell me what lovely things your subconscious likes to do to torture you while "sleeping"! /solidarity

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
No idea.

I used to have this problem. But I would mark the end of writing time and the start of bed time ceremoniously with a cigarette and a cup of tea. This would signal to my brain that the gears were shifting and I wouldn't be bothered by conscious thought.

Then I got a taste for wine and dropping off just isn't an issue.

As for solitude and alone time? There was a time when I knew what that was.

Actually, thinking back, my last job had me sat on the M6 and my thoughts often drifted. A particular day dream of mine had me wondering what it would be like if New York City was magically transported to a point just off shore from my village. In particular, my day dream focused mostly on how it would affect the traffic. Negatively, I concluded.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Late at night is the only time I have for writing that isn't going to interfere with what everyone else in the family wants from me. Otherwise I'd write during a different time and just read before bed. Reading is soothing, except when it's a thriller. OMG, the night I read A Darker Place by Laurie King right before bed, and couldn't stop before I finished it-- that was a long and wide-awake night, haha.

I wish I could get into little ritualistic things like tea/wine/etc. My independent streak rebels against the idea even as the uber-organized part of me loves the concept.

JamesGaberel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesgaberel.com
I am an obsessive writer, so when I'm in the groove, it's all I can think about. I envy those writers who can write 1000 words a day forever. I'm more like 20k this week, nothing next week, 15k the week after.

My brain is like yours, so I take evening walks after I'm done. Even if I finish at like 10:30, I go walk for an hour before going to bed.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That's the way it seems to happen to/for me, as well. It's like you pound on it for hours, but the answers come to you after you walk away. Nobody informed your subconscious that it was time to put it to sleep. I say embrace it. I used to take a ridiculous amount of notes at these times, like several notebooks for the first book. I'd have to get up out of bed, or stop whatever else I was doing--I was so afraid that I'd forget my 'breakthroughs'. Then I noticed that I wouldn't even have to look at the notebooks. That all I had to go was get back on the keyboard and it would come back to me. I stopped taking notes.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am an obsessive writer, so when I'm in the groove, it's all I can think about. I envy those writers who can write 1000 words a day forever. I'm more like 20k this week, nothing next week, 15k the week after.

My brain is like yours, so I take evening walks after I'm done. Even if I finish at like 10:30, I go walk for an hour before going to bed.

Yeah, I fluctuate a lot, too, though I don't generally get higher than 10K on a really good week.

Taking a walk sounds lovely. I used to go for walks with my mate at night before kids and it's always so nice and quiet and refreshing. I really look forward to them being old enough that I can leave them sleeping. :tongue

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
That's the way it seems to happen to/for me, as well. It's like you pound on it for hours, but the answers come to you after you walk away. Nobody informed your subconscious that it was time to put it to sleep. I say embrace it. I used to take a ridiculous amount of notes at these times, like several notebooks for the first book. I'd have to get up out of bed, or stop whatever else I was doing--I was so afraid that I'd forget my 'breakthroughs'. Then I noticed that I wouldn't even have to look at the notebooks. That all I had to go was get back on the keyboard and it would come back to me. I stopped taking notes.

My subconscious brain is not nearly as smart as it thinks it is and has yet to produce something worth jotting down for later. Ever seen the Heart and Brain comics by Awkward Yeti? My subconscious brain is like Heart. I nicknamed the two differences in sensibility as "Kite" and "Curie" which is probably a weird thing to do but entertains me, at least.

Inked

Registered
Reaction score
I get these dreams every once in a while but definitely not in a constant manner and not to the point my sleep's disturbed. My brain has been trained to know that when it's time to sleep, it's to treat everything with a pinch of salt. I've had wonderful ideas right before I fell properly asleep but maybe only once or twice in my life I've woken up to turn on my laptop and type everything down.

I think it helps I'm constantly thinking about my fictional worlds when I'm awake, to the point it's normal to have all these characters interact with me on a daily basis, chatting about future chapters/developments/interactions etc. Maybe they recognize it's rude to disturb my sleep too. :tongue

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the thread title read "Shut up, Brian." I clicked to see if this was about the dog on family guy or Brian Cranston.