Book: The Writer's Guide to Weapons

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I feature weapons, mainly guns, in my WIP but I don't have much experience with them. Has anyone used the book the "Writer's Guide to Weapons" by Benjamin Sobieck? Is the book useful and worth the cost? If not are there any other sources or books that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it but the Amazon reviews are good. If you are a Kindle Unlimited member you can read it for free.

Other than that, any specific questions?

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
Here's his website. Seems useful. I browsed a bit and didn't see anything that looked off. His industry creds in the firearms writing trade seem solid as well.

http://crimefictionbook.com/

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for your input. I did order the book and I like it a lot. Hey, the Glock in my story doesn't have a safety! Who knew? Not me, but I know that now. I also learned about 'rack the slide'. Fun reading. Lot's to learn.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
At some point I recommend a trip to a local gun range for some hands on experience. Explain that you need to learn more about guns for writing and ask if someone can give you some hands on instruction. Or go all out and take a NRA Basic Pistol class. Writing about guns without ever shooting one is like writing about cars without ever driving one. You may think you "get it" from reading but there are parts of the experience you just won't understand until you experience it first hand.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
At some point I recommend a trip to a local gun range for some hands on experience. Explain that you need to learn more about guns for writing and ask if someone can give you some hands on instruction. Or go all out and take a NRA Basic Pistol class. Writing about guns without ever shooting one is like writing about cars without ever driving one. You may think you "get it" from reading but there are parts of the experience you just won't understand until you experience it first hand.

That is good advice. I have never fired a gun, but my grandmother was an excellent markswoman. Back in the thirties, she used to enter shooting competitions, (they let her because none of the men thought she could possible win). My grandfather arrived separately, placed bets on her to win, and that's how they made enough money to pay the mortgage some months.

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
That is good advice. I have never fired a gun, but my grandmother was an excellent markswoman. Back in the thirties, she used to enter shooting competitions, (they let her because none of the men thought she could possible win). My grandfather arrived separately, placed bets on her to win, and that's how they made enough money to pay the mortgage some months.

That's a great story! Got any photos of her/them or any of her marksmanship medals, etc?

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
That's a great story! Got any photos of her/them or any of her marksmanship medals, etc?

I have some photos. Not at the competitions. My cousin got what medals and ribbons she kept. I think he either sold them or threw them away. (He has lot's of issues.) The rifle my grandfather gave her for their tenth anniversary hangs over my parents fireplace. That gift was the scandal of the family at the time.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Decent book, sometimes a little generic and sometimes a bit dated, but a good overall primer.

Jeff