Copies or Money for Copies

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
New to the forum... Hello everyone!

I recently signed with an agent (AAR member) in NY. The agent is about to submit my novel to the major houses. The agent stated that she normally requests a number of copies of the MS from the author for submission, but in my case (I am presently out of the country), she will have the copies made and I will pay for them now (prior to the sale).

I've read time and time again (advice from Miss Snark and others) that an author should pay nothing until a sale is made. But is it common for authors to submit their own copies for submission? Is this agent doing me a favor? Or should I dispute the charging of fees prior to sale?

Thanks in advance!

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I am far from an expert, but I have heard of several very well-respected agencies who do ask for you to produce your own copies of the manuscript. I am not a fan of this trend, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker. <shrug> Would love to hear what others think.

Maprilynne

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
copies

Begbie said:
New to the forum... Hello everyone!

I recently signed with an agent (AAR member) in NY. The agent is about to submit my novel to the major houses. The agent stated that she normally requests a number of copies of the MS from the author for submission, but in my case (I am presently out of the country), she will have the copies made and I will pay for them now (prior to the sale).

I've read time and time again (advice from Miss Snark and others) that an author should pay nothing until a sale is made. But is it common for authors to submit their own copies for submission? Is this agent doing me a favor? Or should I dispute the charging of fees prior to sale?

Thanks in advance!

This is the one area of exception for giving money to an agent. An agent can hardly rip you off in this area. She should be able to make the needed copies very cheaply. . .certainly far cheaper than you could make them and mail them to her.

Now, my agents have always waitied until after a sale was made to charge me for anything, even such minor things as copies, but I'm a published novelist, so the agent knows a sale will be made.

At any rate, an agent does need multiple copies of your novel, and it's never been unusual for an agent to be paid for making these copies, or to have the writer send the needed copies.

I'm not real crazy about the agent charging for this. Writer or agent can deduct the cost come tax time, but I do understand the agent wanting teh writer to pay because he only has to do it once. When an agent must make copies for dozens of writers it could cause a bit of a cash flow problem for a small agency.

My current agency does what I think more good agents should do. They own a high end copier and can make their own copies so quickly, and so cheaply, that it really isn't an issue.

Anyway, you can tell whether or not the agent is on the level by how much she charges you. It shouldn't be very much, and will be cheaper than doing it yourself, considering your present location.