911 information?

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
I'm well aware of the problems in pinpointing the location of a cell phone.

I'm also aware that the problems today aren't as great as they were a few years ago. Three or four years ago, when I called 911 on my cell phone, before I was connected to the emergency dispatcher, I had to listen to a recorded message which explained that, because of the difficulty in locating cell phones, I should, if at all possible, call from a landline. If that wasn't possible, I should be very clear and precise in giving the operator my address.

Which brings me to my questions:
1) Since the location technology has improved, do 911 services still play such a message?
2) If they do, can anyone provide me with the actual text of the message?

As you might imagine, I'd prefer NOT to call 911 myself to test it. And, oddly, I haven't been able to get the local police departments to respond to my e-mails and phone calls asking about this, though they've been very responsive with other questions I've had in the past.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Very state specific. New Hampshire and Massachusetts never played that message. I don't know how many states did.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Call or visit the dispatching center where you live. If the workload is light, then they probably will tell you more than you want to know. Ifr they don't want to talk, then you may have trouble from them, but that is very local.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
And, just to close this thread out: I got responses from police departments local to my story. They agree that location technology has improved to the point where such messages are no longer necessary.

Whether the 911 system has been upgraded in any particular place will, naturally, depend on local conditions (i.e. budget and call volume), but it sounds as though we can expect warning messages to become a historical curiosity in the very near future.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Particularly in rural areas you can have issues with the post office using a different name for your road than the 911 system. You might not realize that until you have to call 911 from a landline where you've lived for 15 years and the 911 operator insists that your home doesn't exist. There are gaps in the system

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of that. I don't even know my sister's 'street' address (it's a long way down a country road)- I send her mail to one of those multi-mailboxes with a RR number. I should ask her how 911 identifies her.

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
George: LOL! I hadn't even considered the possibility of landlines giving the wrong address. Fortunately, that's not relevant to my story.

Frimble: I hope she doesn't have to call 911 often enough to be able to answer that question for you!