PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about that horrific teaser trailer for the Pete's Dragon remake.

JasonWrites84
02-22-2016, 06:07 PM
First off, let me preface this by saying, I LOVE the original Pete's Dragon. It's one of my favorite movies from my childhood, and I rewatch it at least six to seven times per year. That being said, I was super excited about the potential remake....

...then I read it was being stripped of all songs and musical elements....and all characters....therefore what was left? A kid and his dragon...okay maybe I could live with that. THEN I see this teaser trailer with some wild boy living in a forest jumping around like Mowgli's long lost cousin.

I have to say I am heartbroken. I'm fine with remakes, if they retain something of the spirit of the original. However, this has taken everything that made it what it was and thrown it into the trash can. I don't understand if the Beauty and the Beast remake coming out next year can be a full-blown musical why this couldn't have retained at least "Razzle Dazzle Day".

/end rant

CrastersBabies
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I too had fond memories of Pete's Dragon. Then I saw it as an adult and was really turned off b y all of the music. It was wholly overwhelming. Every 2-3 minutes came a new, annoying, awful song. The only way I would have been able to handle a remake is without all of the songs. So, for me, this is a "Thank God" moment. =)

robjvargas
02-22-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm hoping they find a way to reinstate the original magic.

But I'm sadly not expecting it. This trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUkOid3TYc) leaves me cold. Off my calendar until I hear better of it. MUCH better.

Shadow Dragon
02-22-2016, 08:21 PM
I never had an issue with the idea of remaking old stuff, but the people doing remakes should understand why the original was successful. The first movie was a cheesy musical that was largely famous for how well it blended live action with 2D animation. The remake doesn't seem to have anything that people liked in the original.

JasonWrites84
02-22-2016, 08:34 PM
I never had an issue with the idea of remaking old stuff, but the people doing remakes should understand why the original was successful. The first movie was a cheesy musical that was largely famous for how well it blended live action with 2D animation. The remake doesn't seem to have anything that people liked in the original.

I am fine with remakes as long as they retain something of the original and not just a boy and his dragon. Thankfully, I will always have the 1977 classic.

Cyia
02-22-2016, 08:58 PM
This looks like a horrible mash-up of live action The Jungle Book and How to Train Your Dragon. :(

heza
02-22-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm not so sure it's going to suck own its own merit... but, after the Jem and the Holograms fiasco, I'm growing increasingly tired of Hollywood making movies and then calling them a "remake" of an older property that seems only tangentially related.

LittlePinto
02-25-2016, 06:26 PM
I was shocked at the tone shift (assuming the teaser accurately reflects the tone of the film). I'm OK with a remake that isn't a child-oriented musical, but one of the critical components of the original was that it maintained a bright tone even in the face of some dark topics.

I'll be waiting for reviews before deciding whether or not to see it.

aleighrose
02-26-2016, 09:19 AM
I just watched the trailer. Wow, was that different from the cutesy movie I remember! Why even give it the same title? They could've passed it off as an original script.

BenPanced
02-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Disney's just cannibalizing their own properties with live-action remakes/"re-imaginings". You loved the original animated version? You'll just love the hell out of the remake! Disney: A Division of Wesayso Enterprises.