I have a problem with my title

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a space opera serial, set in multi-star system monarchy I named The Realm of the Golden Dawn. The name comes from the monarchy being founded and bringing stability after a dark and brutal period.

I know it's an unwieldy name, but the point is that they are big on grandiosity and somewhat impractical.

Problem is, I just realized Golden Dawn is the name of that Greek Nazi party.

Ahem.

Should I change it? Are people going to make that connection.

(EDIT: I made a slight mistake in the thread title. The Golden Dawn is not in the actual title of the serial, but the name does come up in the stories)

Last edited:

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
yeah. I would change names of people/places/etc if I came across something like that in my writing.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Crowley was the first thing I thought of, not Greek fascists. Either way I'd agree you probably ought to change it I'm afraid.

_TOG_

Registered
Reaction score
The alternative is to contact the Greeks and get them to drop their name.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Crowley was the first thing I thought of, not Greek fascists. Either way I'd agree you probably ought to change it I'm afraid.

+1; I thought of Crowley first.

If the connection makes sense (if they use occult-like rituals, or have fascist leanings), maybe tweak it - Realm of the Golden Sun, or some such.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I see here, is that you are likely to have a historical connotation already when it comes to utiziling Golden, and a reference to the sun/new beginnings (mankind is rather unimaganitive I am afraid, and since there are thousands of years prior to us, chatting here and now, sadly the fun easy ones are taken.) That being said, I'm sure everyone here would be happy to helpl brainstorm if you do decide to change your title

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a space opera serial, set in multi-star system monarchy I named The Realm of the Golden Dawn. The name comes from the monarchy being founded and bringing stability after a dark and brutal period.

If it's a multi-star system, then "Dawn" or "Sun" singular is too narrow in scope. It sounds like something that might pop up on a single planet rather than exist galaxy-wide. You need a bigger term like The Celestial Reach (as in "our reach extends to the stars") or something implying that they are the center point of the galaxy itself, like Infinite Locus.

If your power-grabbers think big, then you have to, too.

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
If it's a multi-star system, then "Dawn" or "Sun" singular is too narrow in scope. It sounds like something that might pop up on a single planet rather than exist galaxy-wide. You need a bigger term like The Celestial Reach (as in "our reach extends to the stars") or something implying that they are the center point of the galaxy itself, like Infinite Locus.

If your power-grabbers think big, then you have to, too.

^ well said. "The Realm of Neverending Light"

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
^ well said. "The Realm of Neverending Light"

That is a good one, though I want to maintain the element that the Realm was founded at the end of the dark times, as the beginning of a better era.

I'm thinking something like "The Realm of the Brilliant Dawn".

How does that sound?

Glyax

Registered
Reaction score
That is a good one, though I want to maintain the element that the Realm was founded at the end of the dark times, as the beginning of a better era.

I'm thinking something like "The Realm of the Brilliant Dawn".

How does that sound?

Dawn in to singular, as people are stating...

perhaps...

"The Realm of the Enlightened Genesis"
"The Realm of the Emerging Enlightenment"
"The Realm of the Brilliant Renaissance"

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it was an interesting title. I thought of a sunrise in rich colors. Sometimes I think people are too sensitive to word association when its not there.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to consider. If you are self publishing, it is pretty much your choice. If you have a publisher, they may want it changed for reasons you might not have considered. They may consider it a marketing decision and act accordingly. There is a thread here somewhere that talks about author's original titles and what they were finally published as.