PDA

View Full Version : The current state of Facebook: Profile or Page?

MarlynnOfMany
02-19-2016, 09:18 PM
I have a regular-human Facebook profile for friends & family, and I want to start something professional. I've heard conflicting advice over whether it's best to make an Official Author Page, or to stick with my profile but make sure to mark each post as "for family group" or "for fans" etc (there's a grouping option I haven't looked into yet).

Most of the info that comes up when I try to research the topic is a couple years old, and Facebook is constantly changing. Anybody have useful insight that's current? Thanks!

Curlz
02-19-2016, 09:59 PM
What do you intend to put on your "professional page"? Currently, lots of facebook people already have hundreds of friends and hundreds of liked pages, which gives them more posts on their feed than they could read in a day, every day. For an unknown author, it matters little what your page is called (it matters what you are going to post on it.) Don't expect that adding the word "author" to a facebook page would automatically make people read what you write. On the other hand, it may boost your personal confidence to see people liking your "professional page", but then again, its much easier to friend people with a personal page, if the numbers matter to you.

Abderian
02-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Having an author page makes you look more professional and it saves you having to constantly remember who you're posting for. I can't imagine how you would manage to select between fans and friends/family either. The downside of an author page is that Facebook limits who sees the posts. Depending on the amount of likes and comments, and other unknown algorithms, a variable percentage of your fans will see your posts on their feeds. You can pay to boost important posts to more viewers.

ShaunHorton
02-21-2016, 08:06 AM
An author page is definitely more professional, and easier to keep track of. That way, friends and family won't be bombarded by genre or sales, and people who follow you because of your work won't be distracted with posts about the neat trick your goldfish learned over the weekend.

Just generally speaking, it's better if you have some kind of line between your personal and professional lives.

ebbrown
03-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I use both. There are things you can only do with a page, and some things you can only do with a personal profile. I allow fans to migrate over to my personal page and many of them have turned into "super fans", which has been awesome. I know not many authors like to have their personal page accessible, but overall I just stick with having fun with it and so far I can say FB is one of my best resources.

verbaleyze
04-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Definitely a page. You can run ads, boost posts that are performing well, organize it to drive traffic directly to your website with a call to action button and pinned post-- all keys to getting people buying your work.

cmhbob
04-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Under Facebooks TOU, you can't do commercial stuff from your Profile. Plus, there are way more tools available for a Page.

You have to have a profile to have a Page, but you don't have to do anything with the Profile if you don't want to.

Old Hack
04-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Most of my friends who have books published have a personal profile, and then an author page; and they create a new page for each book they publish.

Sagml John
04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't LinkedIn be more for professional posting? Unless you are directed to your home page from outside, whatever you post would be buried by cute cats and pictures of food.

Old Hack
04-04-2016, 11:04 PM
LinkedIn is meant to be a network for finding work, not for promoting books. A Facebook page is probably more effective than LinkedIn in that regard but if you'd prefer to use LinkedIn, go ahead. Let us know how it works out for you.

KMTolan
04-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Another idea is, if you have an author's website, you can mention the domain url in the background image banner for your regular profile page. Gets you out from under some of Facebook's onerous terms of service regarding using your content.

Sagml John
04-05-2016, 12:05 AM
LinkedIn is meant to be a network for finding work, not for promoting books. A Facebook page is probably more effective than LinkedIn in that regard but if you'd prefer to use LinkedIn, go ahead. Let us know how it works out for you.

I'll trust your thoughts on that since I'm definitely not a career author. Just logged on to LinkedIn2 for the first time in a year. Nothing real evident for changing careers.