What a Dick Move

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For serious. See it here, first from gymnast Marisa Dick.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Not so much a dick move as a highly scrotum-incompatible one.

Ketzel

Registered
Reaction score
ERmmm..... she's not the first to do that so.... it shouldn't really be named after her. Off the top of my head I can't remember who did it but I know I've seen it.

It's impressive though.

ETA: I just checked and it's in the 2013 Code of Points so... when she meant to have invented it cos the clip was posted 2016, I think.

http://www.fig-docs.com/Media/Codes of Points 2013 - 2016/WAG/2013-2016 WAG CoP.pdf

Are you sure? I didn't see anything described that looked like what she was doing. But I freely admit I can't read tiny little diagrams as well as I used to!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Page 107? Free jump to cross split? That looks like it to me but I could be reading it wrong. I'm sure I've seen it before though.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know squat about gymnastics. I just wanted to make the pun after reading about this "new" move named after the young woman.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I know but ... it is important in gymnastics. Your name survives for the rest of time if a move gets named after you. It's a huge honour in the sport.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
*Watches*
*Watches again*
*Pours another glass of wine*
*Pours a bit more*

Ketzel

Registered
Reaction score
Page 107? Free jump to cross split? That looks like it to me but I could be reading it wrong. I'm sure I've seen it before though.

Research! [I have too much time on my hands, it seems. :) ] Here's a gymnast doing a free jump to cross split mount on the balance beam.

And the description on page 107 is for balance beam mount 1.305D:"free jump to cross split sit - take-off from both legs - diagonal approach to the beam.

But Ms. Dick apparently added a new element in 2015, which the protocols for judging the World Championship in Glasgow acknowledged by amending the description of the move. So the description for balance beam mount 1.305D now reads: free jump to cross split sit, also free jump with legs change to cross split sit - take off from both legs - diagonal approach to beam. [italics in the original]

So, it's the legs change that she added to the move. It does look very like the original version, but I'm guessing it makes the thing much harder to do. Kind of like those ice-skating moves where the skating commentators are all agog at an edge change that doesn't look like a big deal to a non-skater.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
They just tuck [the nutsack] up inside to keep them out of the way. In case anyone felt like cringing.
I'm pretty sure doing that move would take care of tucking the goodies up inside, all by itself.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Research! [I have too much time on my hands, it seems. :) ] Here's a gymnast doing a free jump to cross split mount on the balance beam.

And the description on page 107 is for balance beam mount 1.305D:"free jump to cross split sit - take-off from both legs - diagonal approach to the beam.

But Ms. Dick apparently added a new element in 2015, which the protocols for judging the World Championship in Glasgow acknowledged by amending the description of the move. So the description for balance beam mount 1.305D now reads: free jump to cross split sit, also free jump with legs change to cross split sit - take off from both legs - diagonal approach to beam. [italics in the original]

So, it's the legs change that she added to the move. It does look very like the original version, but I'm guessing it makes the thing much harder to do. Kind of like those ice-skating moves where the skating commentators are all agog at an edge change that doesn't look like a big deal to a non-skater.

Ah I see! Thank you for that cos it puzzled me greatly. I'm guessing that the name won't be used by commentators very much as it's difficult to tell the difference. They will most likely call it what they've always called it. If only to avoid any awkward moments.