Two JRR Tolkien Works Found in 1936 School Annual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
From The Guardian dated February 16, 2016:
Believed to have been written while Tolkien was professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford University, the poems were found in the 1936 annual of Our Lady’s School in Oxfordshire. The discovery was made when the US Tolkien scholar Wayne Hammond contacted Our Lady’s headteacher, Stephen Oliver. Hammond had found a note from Tolkien in which The Hobbit author mentioned that he had published two poems in a magazine he named as the Abingdon Chronicle.

David Brawn, Tolkien’s publisher at HarperCollins, said that some unpublished poetry had been included in the revised edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in 2014, and that “there is often scope to add rare material to future revised editions”.

I'm excited about this. Yes, yes I am. I'm hoping to get to read them at some point.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Excellent, though my gut is telling me that Christopher's going to squat over this for as long as he can.

o.Nixie.o

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic! I will be excited to read it... if they ever let us. haha

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, though my gut is telling me that Christopher's going to squat over this for as long as he can.

Christopher Tolkien isn't the bottleneck; he's reasonable. It's the terms of the Trust and the lawyers that are tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.