Famous people from where you are

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I live in a relatively small town in the middle of a flyover state, but it seems lots of people are from around here.

For instance, New York Times bestselling author Hillary Jordan (Mudbound) is from here. I know her a little, but I have lunch with her father at least twice a month. Keith Birdsong, a famous painter whose work has adorned U.S. Postal stamps, and who did a LOT of work for Star Trek back in the day, is from here and is a good friend.

Leaving the literary world, country music superstar Carrie Underwood is from here, too. I don't know her, but my wife is good friends with her mother.

Also, the Swon Brothers (a mid-level country music duo) is from around here. I know them, but not well.

Still, for a town of 40,000 people, that's a lot of nationally famous people.

So how about you? Who's from where you are?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My city boasts actors Taye Diggs, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Lithgow, Robert Forster, Mimi Kennedy, Kristen Wiig, Hugh O'Brian; musicians Cab Calloway, Chuck Mangione, Mitch Miller, and Lou Gramm of Foreigner; YouTube celeb Jenna Marbles, in my daughter's class in high school; soccer star Abby Wambach; autistic athlete J Mac; serial killers Arthur Shawcross plus two Hillside Stranglers; authors Andrea Barrett, Shirley Jackson, Ed Hoch, Nicholson Baker, David Cay Johnston (father of a friend of our daughter's), Linda Sue Park; social movers-and-shakers Susan B. Anthony, George Eastman, and Frederick Douglass.

Of course, that's a much bigger metro area. For 40,000 people, your town's doing great.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hm, let's see...

Durham's a pretty large city, close to the capital of NC. It's got a lot of history, such as being the place where the first sit-in of the Civil Rights movement started.

Not many people I know of born here, mostly sports stars and a few performers. Living here, though, we've got Mur Lafferty, writer and winner of the John W Campbell award, and...uh... *scans list of Durhamites on Wikipedia* no one else I know, still. Lots of civil rights activists and performers I've never heard of. We've got a Grammy-winning rapper, Big Daddy Kane, and jazz musician Branford Marsalis.For a population of 250,000, I'm kinda surprised how few people are on the list.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I live in a relatively small town in the middle of a flyover state, but it seems lots of people are from around here.

I seriously offended someone recently by using the term "flyover state." Since everybody gets offended about everything now, it didn't surprise me all that much. Glad to see the term is actually used by a person who lives in such a location.

I'm in a big city in the Midwest and I don't know of a single famous person! I haven't researched it very well though. There have to be some.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hmmm. The list is huge. Will Arnett, Margaret Atwood, Jim Carrey, Hayden Christensen, David Cronenberg, Robertson Davies, Drake, Atom Egoyan, Percy Faith, Timothy Findley, Glenn Gould, Howie Mandel, Eric McCormack, Shawn Mendes, Lorne Michaels, Joni Mitchell, Robert Munsch, Catherine O'Hara, Michael Ondaatje, Jason Priestley, Keannu Reeves, Nino Ricci, Martin Short, etc, etc, etc...

Representin' the T-DOT, yo! 416! The6!

hehe

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
<scans the wiki for Jacksonville, FLA> Lots of names, but this one really popped out at me —

Denham Fouts(1914–1949), prostitute, socialite and literary muse

:ROFL::roll::ROFL:

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
Loretta Lynn was born not far from where I live. But the most famous I guess is that the Hatfield and McCoy feud happened here.

Brian G Turner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sffchronicles.com
I live in a small town in the Scottish Highlands, and probably our most famous resident is actress Tilda Swinton. A few years ago she ran a quirky film festival, and I helped build an online community for her to support that. She always came across as a genuinely nice person.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked for the Minneapolis/St. Paul area of Minnesota, and all I could find was a list of people I feel sorry for who never really made it:

• Bob Dylan
  • Prince
  • Jesse Ventura
  • Garrison Keilor
  • Patty, Maxene and LaVerne Andrews
  • Joel and Ethan Coen
  • Judy Garland
  • Walter F. Mondale
  • Winona Ryder
  • Joe Mauer
  • Tippi Hedren
  • Roy Wilkins
  • Terry Gilliam
  • John Madden
  • Walter F. Mondale
  • Charles Schultz
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
John Forsythe.

Bruce Willis. My sister was friends with young cousins of his during high school.

And my Uncle Frank was at Pearl Harbor with James Jones.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Actors Ashton Kutcher, Elijah Wood (Frodo) and Michael Emerson (Harold Finch in Person of Interest). Golfer Zach Johnson (winner of the Master's and last year's British Open). Near-future Hall of Fame football quarterback Kurt Warner. Star NFL Arizona Cardinals rookie running back David Johnson.

And me.

Oh . . . wait . . . . . . . .

caw

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mostly athletes and beauty queens. Most notable ones are Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, Miss Universe 2013 Gabriela Isler and soccer player Juan Arango.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked for the Minneapolis/St. Paul area of Minnesota, and all I could find was a list of people I feel sorry for who never really made it:

• Bob Dylan
  • Prince
  • Jesse Ventura
  • Garrison Keilor
  • Patty, Maxene and LaVerne Andrews
  • Joel and Ethan Coen
  • Judy Garland
  • Walter F. Mondale
  • Winona Ryder
  • Joe Mauer
  • Tippi Hedren
  • Roy Wilkins
  • Terry Gilliam
  • John Madden
  • Walter F. Mondale
  • Charles Schultz
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald

Josh Hartnett
Slug (Atmosphere)
Brother Ali
Bob Mould
The Replacements
Vincent Kartheiser
Amy Adams

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Well, hi there, neighbor!

I live down by Brushy Mountain Fire Department!

SHUT UP! I go down there every month when I collect money from Jacky Branchcomb for advertising Frog Wild on MuskogeeNOW.com, which I own!

I don't recognize your name, but I think we need to get together!

==
EDIT: Just bought your book. I'll read it and let you know what I think.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Donald Trump.

Do we need anyone else?

Hey, could be worse, we've also got Bernie Sanders and we're not responsible for Justin Bieber (thanks, Canada).

aleighrose

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aleighrose.webs.com
Just looked at who's from my little town of 8,000+ people:

NFL Players: Burnell Dent, Jordan Jefferson (with whom I attended elementary school, part of middle school, high school, and college), Ed Reed, Darryl Richard, Josh Victorian, and Darius Vinnett

NFL Assistant Coach Curtis Johnson

Beauty queen Shelley Hennig (with whom I attended high school but never met because that was so not my crowd)

Margaret Taylor-Burroughs who founded the DuSable Museum of African American History in Chicago

Gary Tyler who is famous for being convicted of a murder that he may not have committed

Yep. That sounds like my hometown.

shivadyne

brushing off the diamond dust
Registered
Reaction score
baseball players, a politician, and a children's book author. i've heard of none of them before i looked up the wikipedia page which says a lot about my small town's popularity. we did have a fairly well-known union general, though...

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
baseball players, a politician, and a children's book author. i've heard of none of them before i looked up the wikipedia page which says a lot about my small town's popularity. we did have a fairly well-known union general, though...

Yeah, my town's Wikipedia page has a bunch of people I've never heard of, too. The only other one I've heard of who is also nationally famous is Robert Reed, the dad from The Brady Bunch.

Then there's Tom Coburn, senator, right-winger extraordinare, who became famous nationally for complaining that Schindler's List had too much nudity when showing the Nazis killing people. As a bonus, he used to be my doctor and had his finger up my butt once. Like two days later, I saw a picture of him shaking hands with then-President Bush, so I called him up and said, "So my butthole is like one handshake away from the president." He did not laugh.