Happy Valley series 2....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone watching?

And if this does get onto BBC America, I recommend you watch it. Possibly with subtitles but definitely watch it!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter? He's in Happy Valley and this is what he looks like now:

rs_600x600-150722072939-600.Matthew-Lewis-Shirtless-Abs-JR-72215_copy.jpg

No, really. That is him. Honest.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my god.

If this comes up on BBC America or Netflix, you should watch it. In fact, watch the first series then this one. This is absolutely superb drama.

Remember Being Human and how emotionally involved I got in that? This has the same level of involvement. It is seriously brilliant.

It's set in Yorkshire so you will need subtitles.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I watch it. I really like it. The characters are admirably flawed.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I just watched Ep. 5. The ending was tough; I wasn't expecting that.
Happy Valley is one of the rare shows whose setting and characters seem real (or more to the point, believable) to me. One detail I liked: the bike tied to the rack, just outside the police station, had no wheels. Kitchens and back yards cluttered with objects that have turned into "stuff". That sort of things. Happy Valley, murders and warts and all, is not a bad place; it's not good either. It's just average.

Oh, and also:

"We've gotta show her we care... keep an eye on her."
"Yeah. ... Where is she?"

:roll:

(Do we have spoiler tags on AW, btw?)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
We're down to just a few shows we watch and looking for more. We binged and ran through Luther in just a few days. (LOVED it). Is this that kind of intensity?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yes but it's more realistic and far better acted. I would put the emotional intensity more on a level with the British Being Human.

Sarah Lancashire as the lead is amazing. She expresses so much in stillness.

And the writer, Sally Wainwright, has a fantastic ear for realistic dialogue.

If you can, get the first series before you watch the second as the story of the first feeds into the second.

And it's set in Yorkshire so you will need subtitles. And the MC does tend to talk through her teeth.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
LOL, we'll definitely start with the first season. I'm not sure we have subtitles available but I'll check. I figure if I can understand Billy Eliot, Colin Farrell movies and the announcers on EPL soccer games, I can tune my ear to "Yorkshire." Although I'm prepared to admit I might be completely deluded. :greenie

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You should be alright then if you can understand Billy Elliot. But SL does tend to mumble a fair bit.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I love Sally Wainwright's writing (I'm obsessed with Scott & Bailey) but I've only seen one episode so far of Happy Valley.

The bad guy is also distractingly good looking. They've tried to make him less so with a head tattoo, but it hasn't worked.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't have a spoiler tags. We usually just white out the text we want to hide. It doesn't always work as many people have a blueish screen and it also shows up in quote boxes.

And yeah, the ending was unexpected. And heartbreaking.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
An accent? What accent? They hardly have one! OK well maybe they do, but it's lovely.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
OK, epi 1, series 1 in the books. Hubs had more difficulty than me with the dialogue but it was sufficiently compelling to give the thumbs up to keep watching. I don't know if the villain in season 1 is the same as season 2 (no head tat that I could see, but then he's got all that hair) but he's creepy as eff. Cool as can be with his casual threats of dismemberment. *shudders*

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
OK, epi 1, series 1 in the books. Hubs had more difficulty than me with the dialogue but it was sufficiently compelling to give the thumbs up to keep watching. I don't know if the villain in season 1 is the same as season 2 (no head tat that I could see, but then he's got all that hair) but he's creepy as eff. Cool as can be with his casual threats of dismemberment. *shudders*
:D
Now I feel like rewatching series 1. Feels like it was on forever ago.
(Have just checked, was only 2 years, feels like more.)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Last night's was..... very sad. And amazing drama.

Spoiler: I'm glad things worked out the way they did for Frances and she didn't do anything drastic. I would have preferred John to be hung up by his thumbs in the town square but I guess his death is better for his kids.

And Catherine's face at the end, knowing she has to tell Ryan what his father sooner rather than later.....

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
series 2 was added to netflix this week, and i watched episode 1 last night. such good stuff.