Books on everyday life in the USA

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm an italian user of this board; I usually write on the western writing section but this time I need to start a discussion halfway between the writing practice/research and the simple and genuine passion I have for the USA (I'm totally in love with the life, the land and the history of the United States).

In my way to know how much possible about the everyday life in the USA, I bought an half dozen of books about this topic. But all I have found are general books, that gather more or less detailed informations on any topic (living, driving, working, traveling, ecc.). So now I'm searching for books on any single topic: not books about the history of the topic or its social development but books about how-to (for example "how to drive an american car") or about the organization of a specific part of the american society (for example how the american roads system works [signals, exits, highways, freeways, etc.]).

A list of topics could be:
- postal service
- telephone service
- television and radio service
- schools, high schools, colleges
- healt service
- transport
- shopping (for example I'm curious about the mini mart and liquors stores and the malls)
- law enforcement and laws
- social customs
- roads system
- everyday habits (driving, dressing, eating and drinking, etc.)
- houses (how the air-electrical-heating-water-etc system works)

As an alternative are welcome general books (like Living and working in America by David Hampshire, the best book I have ever read on the subject) with a good amount of details.

I hope in good advices.

Thank you for the patience you have had reading this post.

So long!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Speaking as an American, some of these are going to vary widely depending on region, particularly things like "everyday habits", "social customs", and "houses." It's a very large country, with a huge diversity in geography and cultural roots. And that's not even taking into account the economic level you're focusing on and the era, if you're writing historical. Your best bet, IMHO, may be to ask about details. The internet might also help; for instance, states often have driver's guides online in PDF format, which outline the official rules of the road. (Example: a link to my state's guide, in multiple languages.)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Brightdreamer is absolutely correct. Different regions are different, not to mention urban vs. rural vs. suburban -- the differences can be huge, even in the same general region.

I live in New York City; my brother lives in a suburban area in New York state. Everything is very different -- the transportation system, the way we get our mail delivered, the way we shop for groceries, the school systems, our shopping and restaurant options, the way we dress. Even the stuff available at liquor and grocery stores and when they are open is different. And that's in the same state and the same general social class. I've lived in four different states and each of them was a little different -- and all of those states were in the northeastern U.S. Boston, MA was not like Buffalo, NY which was not like Washington, D.C. which was not like New Haven, CT which was not like NYC. I'm sure it's that much more different down in Louisiana or Kansas or New Mexico.

My advice is to figure out where you'd like to set your story and then look into these questions for your particular story.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
- postal service

Every residence has a mailbox, where you receive mail daily except Sunday. If you want to send mail, put a stamp on it. It costs a little less than fifty cents, but no longer has a monetary value; if the price to send mail goes up, the old stamp you bought is still good. Many mailboxes have a red metal flag that you tip up to tell the postal carrier you have outgoing mail in the box.

- telephone service

Most people have mobile phones, and I think this works pretty much the same in Europe. Dial 1 before a long-distance number, which has ten more digits, written like 1-222-333-4444. The 222 is the area code. If you are dialing a number in the same area code as yourself, you can dial just the last seven digits.

- television and radio service

There are many different options. Most people have cable or satellite for TV. Some people receive TV on an antenna, which is free. There are about five or so channels available that way. With the cheapest cable, about say 20. With more expensive plans, you can get more and more channels, up to hundreds. Some people are discontinuing their TV service, and receive programming over the Internet. These services usually have a monthly charge.

Radio is still popular by antenna, especially in cars, but satellite is also available in cars. Internet streaming music is increasingly popular.

- schools, high schools, colleges

Pretty much everywhere, children will be in school from age 5 to 18, called kindergarten and 1st through 12th grades. Schools are usually divided into elementary, middle or junior high, and high schools. The exact grades in each vary by region. The last year of elementary school is either 5th or 6th grade, and the first year of high school is 9th or 10th grade. Some children start even earlier. Free public school is available for all children, but some parents pay to send their children to private schools instead, which are sometimes better quality.

In addition to academics, all levels provide other activities, but these are especially important in high school: team and individual sports, arts, marching band (performs at sporting events), orchestra, plays or musicals, cheerleading. Most high schools will have at least an American football (boys) and a basketball (one for boys and one for girls) team, and might have other teams such as baseball, soccer, lacrosse, water polo ... whatever's popular.

College is four years for most people and leads to a bachelor's degree. Some people don't attend college, and some attend two-year technical or community colleges that grant associates' degrees after two years. Other students at those colleges transfer to four-year degree institutions. After a bachelor's degree, some students continue for a master's degree or Ph.D. (doctor of philosophy, but available in most subjects, not just philosophy). That's the highest degree in most subjects. Some subjects have their own highest degree, like MD for medicine, JD for law, DDS and DVM for dentistry and veterinary medicine. Those professions require the advanced degree.

Some colleges are operated by state governments, others are private. State colleges are cheaper, but still not free. The federal government provides loans to pay for college. Many people have difficulty paying off these loans, because some college programs do not necessarily lead to high-paying careers. Most students move out of their parents home and sometimes move many miles away for college.

The most popular extracurricular activity in college is drinking. It's technically illegal for most college-aged kids, but enforcement is lax. Team sports are also popular.

- healt service

This is not provided by the government, but most people have insurance to cover unexpected expenses. Insurance is usually provided through your employer.

- transport

Most people have cars, even one per person in a family. Cars are used for almost all travel, from going to work up to vacations hundreds of miles away. Only when traveling a distance that would take up to a day or more do most people choose to fly. Trains are almost never used; long-distance trains are as expensive as planes. Only in large urban areas do people use trains for their daily commute. Some of these are underground "subway" trains. Buses are also used in cities. A few people in cities do not own cars by choice.

- shopping (for example I'm curious about the mini mart and liquors stores and the malls)

Most food shopping is done in supermarkets, a.k.a. grocery stores. These sell meat, fish, cheese, milk, fruit, vegetables, frozen foods, bread, packaged snacks and deserts, soda, beer, wine, juice: just about any food or drink. Most have a bakery, where they bake fresh bread, cakes, cookies, etc., and a deli where they will slice meats and cheeses to your desired quantity. Many supermarkets also have products usually sold in a "drug store", such as personal hygiene products, over-the-counter drugs, and even a pharmacy.

Mini-marts, a.k.a. convenience stores, are smaller versions of the same, with less selection and more emphasis on packaged foods. They are so called because they may be more convenient to reach than your nearest supermarket. Convenience stores are sometimes combined with gas stations and/or liquor stores, except in states where liquor must be sold in a special state-licensed store.

Malls are large indoor shopping complexes with multiple stores in the same building. The kind of stores in a mall usually sell durable goods, like clothes, electronics, and jewelry. There also are often fast-food restaurants for shoppers spending a long day shopping there, and needing a meal. Customers usually drive cars to the mall, and park in a large parking lot that surrounds it. A shopping center inverts this. The stores surround the parking lot, and are entered from the outside. This form of shopping is more convenient if you are only shopping at one store.

In cities, there are stores lining streets just like in Europe, which many people travel to on foot.

- law enforcement and laws

Pretty ordinary. For most people, their interaction with law enforcement is getting pulled over for speeding or coming back to their parked car to find a ticket for parking improperly.

- roads system

Small roads in cities and towns intersect at stop signs, larger roads may have multiple lanes in each direction and stop lights, interstate highways have on and off ramps and traffic never stops, except when there's a lot of it. Then it stops a lot. Often happens in cities.

- everyday habits (driving, dressing, eating and drinking, etc.)

Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfast is the most different of the three; most people wouldn't eat what they eat for breakfast at lunch or dinner time. There is a lot of variety in what people eat for breakfast: cereal with milk, baked goods, eggs and egg dishes. Orange juice and coffee are popular morning drinks. Lunch is often a sandwich. Dinner is varied, usually including meat, and often Americans eat international cuisine for dinner and even lunch.

Most Americans dress informally, even casually, even at work. Only a few jobs still expect a suit and tie.

- houses (how the air-electrical-heating-water-etc system works)

Americans don't really think about this on a day-to-day basis. It just works. If you feel cold or hot, you adjust the thermostat. In some parts of the country most houses aren't equipped with air conditioning, since it's rarely needed. Most have central heating and/or air, so you don't see the equipment. It might be gas or electrical. Cooking is also gas or electrical.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
There is a travel writer named Bill Bryson who has couple of rather entertaining books about the US. His books are more about personal experience and consist of series of little funny vignettes. Give him a try, he's also informative.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Every residence has a mailbox, where you receive mail daily except Sunday. If you want to send mail, put a stamp on it. It costs a little less than fifty cents, but no longer has a monetary value; if the price to send mail goes up, the old stamp you bought is still good. Many mailboxes have a red metal flag that you tip up to tell the postal carrier you have outgoing mail in the box.

Most people have mobile phones, and I think this works pretty much the same in Europe. Dial 1 before a long-distance number, which has ten more digits, written like 1-222-333-4444. The 222 is the area code. If you are dialing a number in the same area code as yourself, you can dial just the last seven digits.

There are many different options. Most people have cable or satellite for TV. Some people receive TV on an antenna, which is free. There are about five or so channels available that way. With the cheapest cable, about say 20. With more expensive plans, you can get more and more channels, up to hundreds. Some people are discontinuing their TV service, and receive programming over the Internet. These services usually have a monthly charge.

Radio is still popular by antenna, especially in cars, but satellite is also available in cars. Internet streaming music is increasingly popular.

Pretty much everywhere, children will be in school from age 5 to 18, called kindergarten and 1st through 12th grades. Schools are usually divided into elementary, middle or junior high, and high schools. The exact grades in each vary by region. The last year of elementary school is either 5th or 6th grade, and the first year of high school is 9th or 10th grade. Some children start even earlier. Free public school is available for all children, but some parents pay to send their children to private schools instead, which are sometimes better quality.

In addition to academics, all levels provide other activities, but these are especially important in high school: team and individual sports, arts, marching band (performs at sporting events), orchestra, plays or musicals, cheerleading. Most high schools will have at least an American football (boys) and a basketball (one for boys and one for girls) team, and might have other teams such as baseball, soccer, lacrosse, water polo ... whatever's popular.

College is four years for most people and leads to a bachelor's degree. Some people don't attend college, and some attend two-year technical or community colleges that grant associates' degrees after two years. Other students at those colleges transfer to four-year degree institutions. After a bachelor's degree, some students continue for a master's degree or Ph.D. (doctor of philosophy, but available in most subjects, not just philosophy). That's the highest degree in most subjects. Some subjects have their own highest degree, like MD for medicine, JD for law, DDS and DVM for dentistry and veterinary medicine. Those professions require the advanced degree.

Some colleges are operated by state governments, others are private. State colleges are cheaper, but still not free. The federal government provides loans to pay for college. Many people have difficulty paying off these loans, because some college programs do not necessarily lead to high-paying careers. Most students move out of their parents home and sometimes move many miles away for college.

The most popular extracurricular activity in college is drinking. It's technically illegal for most college-aged kids, but enforcement is lax. Team sports are also popular.

This is not provided by the government, but most people have insurance to cover unexpected expenses. Insurance is usually provided through your employer.

Most people have cars, even one per person in a family. Cars are used for almost all travel, from going to work up to vacations hundreds of miles away. Only when traveling a distance that would take up to a day or more do most people choose to fly. Trains are almost never used; long-distance trains are as expensive as planes. Only in large urban areas do people use trains for their daily commute. Some of these are underground "subway" trains. Buses are also used in cities. A few people in cities do not own cars by choice.

Most food shopping is done in supermarkets, a.k.a. grocery stores. These sell meat, fish, cheese, milk, fruit, vegetables, frozen foods, bread, packaged snacks and deserts, soda, beer, wine, juice: just about any food or drink. Most have a bakery, where they bake fresh bread, cakes, cookies, etc., and a deli where they will slice meats and cheeses to your desired quantity. Many supermarkets also have products usually sold in a "drug store", such as personal hygiene products, over-the-counter drugs, and even a pharmacy.

Mini-marts, a.k.a. convenience stores, are smaller versions of the same, with less selection and more emphasis on packaged foods. They are so called because they may be more convenient to reach than your nearest supermarket. Convenience stores are sometimes combined with gas stations and/or liquor stores, except in states where liquor must be sold in a special state-licensed store.

Malls are large indoor shopping complexes with multiple stores in the same building. The kind of stores in a mall usually sell durable goods, like clothes, electronics, and jewelry. There also are often fast-food restaurants for shoppers spending a long day shopping there, and needing a meal. Customers usually drive cars to the mall, and park in a large parking lot that surrounds it. A shopping center inverts this. The stores surround the parking lot, and are entered from the outside. This form of shopping is more convenient if you are only shopping at one store.

In cities, there are stores lining streets just like in Europe, which many people travel to on foot.

Pretty ordinary. For most people, their interaction with law enforcement is getting pulled over for speeding or coming back to their parked car to find a ticket for parking improperly.

Small roads in cities and towns intersect at stop signs, larger roads may have multiple lanes in each direction and stop lights, interstate highways have on and off ramps and traffic never stops, except when there's a lot of it. Then it stops a lot. Often happens in cities.

Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfast is the most different of the three; most people wouldn't eat what they eat for breakfast at lunch or dinner time. There is a lot of variety in what people eat for breakfast: cereal with milk, baked goods, eggs and egg dishes. Orange juice and coffee are popular morning drinks. Lunch is often a sandwich. Dinner is varied, usually including meat, and often Americans eat international cuisine for dinner and even lunch.

Most Americans dress informally, even casually, even at work. Only a few jobs still expect a suit and tie.

Americans don't really think about this on a day-to-day basis. It just works. If you feel cold or hot, you adjust the thermostat. In some parts of the country most houses aren't equipped with air conditioning, since it's rarely needed. Most have central heating and/or air, so you don't see the equipment. It might be gas or electrical. Cooking is also gas or electrical.

I'd say that nearly all of this stuff varies so much that it's really not useful to generalize. If you are setting your story in a particular place/time, you need to look at that place/time.

For example, we don't all have mailboxes with a red flag on them. My parents have such a mailbox at the end of the driveway. But my brother has a slot in his door that the postman drops the mail through, directly into the house. I have a locked box in the lobby of my building. I know someone who drives to pick up her mail at a box in the post office. I know someone else who lives in a community where she walks down the street to a little cluster of mailboxes for the whole block. In some places you can put your outgoing mail in your mailbox, but in others you walk it to a mailbox on a street somewhere, or take it to the post office.

In some places (NYC is one of them) you must dial the area code even if it is a local number, and even if you are within the same area code. In other places, you need not do so. While most people have mobile phones, not everyone does. And many of us still have landlines and use them. This is particularly true in rural areas, where cell phone service is spotty to nonexistent.

What activities are available at schools and how good the public schools are is all over the map. And it's changed tremendously over the last 20 years or so -- or even the last ten (or so my teacher friends tell me). Lots of schools have eliminated a ton of activities and subjects, and are teaching to the test. My nieces go to a fantastic public school. Apparently the one across the street from me totally sucks. Depending on where and when you set your story, the school situation can vary tremendously.

Lots of people in NYC do not own cars by choice, including people with money. I am one of them. It is far easier, cheaper and less aggravating to rent one when I need it. I also did not have a car when I lived in Boston and DC, and this did not seem uncommon. However, if you live in many other areas, you need a car (or at least, it's much more convenient to have one).

I don't have a thermostat in my apartment. And plenty of people think about their heating/cooling systems -- it was one of my dad's favorite topics. But they differ.

I don't think all college kids' favorite extracurricular activity is drinking. (I have to admit I really dislike this particular stereotype.) Also, FYI, to get a law degree, you must have an undergraduate degree, but it need not relate in any way to law. I'm a lawyer, and was an English lit major undergrad, which is quite common -- it was 4 years for the undergrad degree, and then another three to get the law degree (which would have been true whatever my undergrad degree had been in, btw). I'm not sure whether the same is true for other advanced degrees, and to what extent. Again, I would really look at specifically what your character is doing and research accordingly.

FYI, many supermarkets across the U.S. do not sell wine and liquor. And others do. Depends on the area. The Whole Foods supermarket near me sells beer, but not wine -- the wine is in a separate shop right next door, which I believe is due to either a city or state law.

If you set your character in Manhattan and she's routinely driving to the grocery store and walking to the end of the driveway to get her mail, it will make many of us giggle. I really wouldn't make any generalizations about American life -- it's a huge place with a pretty diverse population.

I second Curlz's recommendation for Bryson's books, but mostly because they are deliciously fun.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It varies so much it's not useful to even really discuss, as noted above.

Think about the size of the U.S., not just the population, though stuff can also differ widely just a few miles away.

There are tons of places where people don't have mailboxes - not even counting apartment bldgs and complexes of townhouses or gated communities that have apartment-like mailboxes, there are ten tons of places, not all that rural either, in which there's no house-to-house mail delivery. You go to the post office to pick up mail.

There are lots of people who don't own cars - they live mostly in cities. Many, many people I know don't even know how to drive.

I don't think I know anyone local to me with a thermostat.

Also - this is fairly unique to NYC, but is true in places with older homes in abundance - many places have no central air, even if it gets hot. New York boasts homes that cost in the tens of millions of dollars that feature window a/c units.

Etc.

Cassandra's example reminded me of an excerpt someone once put up on AW - it was well-written, interesting, yet the family lived in Manhattan and the mother sent the teen daughter out to the market. That's normal, except the kid took a car, drove down a road at 50, wind whipping her hair, etc. The first thing some of us said to the author was: you've never been in NYC, have you?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd say that nearly all of this stuff varies so much that it's really not useful to generalize. If you are setting your story in a particular place/time, you need to look at that place/time.

Seconding; my experiences also differ from the ones listed here.

For instance, on mailboxes: I live in a suburban area on the edge of a rapidly-growing city. We used to have an old-fashioned, stand-alone mailbox. Then we started getting mail theft issues. We now have a multi-household locking mailbox thing for the whole street, which is presumably theft-proof, though a similar box near my late grandfather's house has been busted open at least once. (My uncle, who lives nearish that area, recently got a PO box - a mailbox in a designated mail center or post office - because of similar problems.) So the individual mailbox thing is kinda going by the wayside around here as more jerks and crooks come to the area; as the song says, country ain't country no more. And, despite the locking mailbox, I never mail out anything with a live check or other vital info save by driving to the actual physical post office and personally dropping it in the blue box. So you'd do well to think about the area you'd be setting your American story, and the era, to figure out what postal situation makes sense.

And anyone who doesn't pay attention to a thermostat or how their house is heated and cooled is in a much higher income bracket than I am, or living in the boonies on an old-fashioned wood stove; heating oil/natural gas and electricity cost money, after all.

As for the liquor stores, there's a bit of an amusing story about that locally. Used to be we had state-run liquor stores for anything harder than beer - they were rather bland, institutional-looking places. Then a local wholesale chain figured on making more money if they could sell bulk-level booze, so they poured money into an initiative campaign to change the law, shutting down the state-run stores and turning it over to privately-owned supermarkets (IIRC, the campaign was big on touting the evils of the Big Evil Guv'mnt controlling everything.) It was voted in - but before that chain could make their killing, out-of-state liquor store chains swooped in and set up shop, cutting into the profits. (And, predictably, supermarkets have an increasing rate of liquor thefts/shoplifting, and a less-than-sterling record of selling alcohol to minors. There might even have been an uptick in DUIs - Driving Under the Influence arrests - but I can't confirm that at the moment. Who'da thunk it?) The laws vary by state, and again by era: twenty years ago, you'd have to go to a state-run liquor store for hard liquor around here, and now you just pick it up while shopping for dinner.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are, I've heard tell tale, drive-through liquor stores in some places in the U.S. - this fascinates and sort of terrifies me.

There are states in which liquor can be sold inside regular food markets, and places, like here, in which it can't.

There are places where liquor can't be sold past 9 p.m., or on Sundays, or whatever, and places it can be sold anytime, and on and on.

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Wow! Thank you for your replies, I will take some time to read them carefully.

Meanwhile I have received a copy of Newcomer's Handbook For Moving to and Living in the USA, by Mike Livingstone. I will give a quick look to it tonight. Anyway I think it was a good purchase, it assembles a good set of three together with Living and Working in America and Stefano Spadoni's Vado a vivere a New York. Another beautiful reading was Bryson's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
While guide books may cover the basics, I think that you would get more of the nuances for daily life from works of fiction.

I could list a lot of details, but they would be my experiences and would not necessarily reflect the activities or experiences of others. For example, In college the extracurricular activities were all that interested me, and those were women and other things.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
You might want to read the thread about the furnace in the basement to get a slight feeling for regional variation based on climate amd on how the mechanical systems of residential buildings have changed.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Every residence has a mailbox, where you receive mail daily except Sunday.

Not universally true, which I point out mainly to indicate that the US is a very big and very variable place, encompassing a lot of different lifestyles. In a lot of areas, especially rural, thinly populated ones, it's common for people to receive their mail via a post-office box at the local PO.

The same observation is true of many other things. So a lot of what will affect your writing will depend on where (and when) your story is set.

caw

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
May I suggest children's books as a useful resource. I am pretty sure I have seen well-illustrated ones on building New York City (buildings and infrastructure), and plenty of regional books too.

Maybe ask people familiar with the children's book field for recommendations?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer said:
The laws vary by state, and again by era: twenty years ago, you'd have to go to a state-run liquor store for hard liquor around here, and now you just pick it up while shopping for dinner.

You can also have places like where I grew up that are "dry" counties (the way some states divide up their own territory for governing purposes... Louisiana call them parishes; Alaska, boroughs). We had to drive to the next county over to buy liquor. Some counties prohibit the sale of any alcohol, some only let you sell beer, some only beer and wine up to a certain alcohol percentage, some only beer, wine, and mixed beverages. "Wetness" can also vary from city to city, sometimes within the same county.

Cornflake said:
There are, I've heard tell tale, drive-through liquor stores in some places in the U.S. - this fascinates and sort of terrifies me.

I give you Beverage Barn.

There are two drive-thru margarita places not far from my house where you can get mixed drinks in to-go cups.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

I give you Beverage Barn.

There are two drive-thru margarita places not far from my house where you can get mixed drinks in to-go cups.

Wow. Just wow.

And then, of course, there are all the states in which prohibit open containers of alcohol in a car. As we've been saying, one must be very careful about making generalizations about life in the United States!

Heh. I have a German friend who spent a high school year abroad in suburban Missouri, and developed a very determined view that everything he experienced there was the "real" America. I met him in Connecticut (where he was pursuing an LLM degree and I was pursuing a JD), and he was always insisting that the northeast -- all of it -- was not "really" America. Nor was Washington, D.C., part of "real" America, or California (where he went to interview), or Florida (where he went for a vacation at some point). Nope, just Missouri, and places very similar to Missouri, could be deemed authentically American.

As it happens, I lived near Dusseldorf, Germany for a while. I playfully tried to counter him by insisting that only in Dusseldorf was the "real" Germany to be found. Of course, though, I was wrong. The "real" Germany is much further south, where he is from.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh. I have a German friend who spent a high school year abroad in suburban Missouri, and developed a very determined view that everything he experienced there was the "real" America. I met him in Connecticut (where he was pursuing an LLM degree and I was pursuing a JD), and he was always insisting that the northeast -- all of it -- was not "really" America. Nor was Washington, D.C., part of "real" America, or California (where he went to interview), or Florida (where he went for a vacation at some point). Nope, just Missouri, and places very similar to Missouri, could be deemed authentically American.

As it happens, I lived near Dusseldorf, Germany for a while. I playfully tried to counter him by insisting that only in Dusseldorf was the "real" Germany to be found. Of course, though, I was wrong. The "real" Germany is much further south, where he is from.

Reminds me of my great-grandfather on Dad's side. Dad says the man kept speaking German even after coming to America and learning English - but every time a new invention came out, he used the American word. But it was those silly Germans who didn't know how to speak their own language; his German was impeccable.

America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert, America's foremost expert on America-ness. You do not need any other books. That is the only one.

And there's also the definitive short What it Means to be an American. (And Part 2. Yes, it's in two parts - because we're that great! ;) )

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
This differs so much by state.

In Oregon, I registered to vote by going to the DMV to get my new driver's license. Then, I received my ballot in the mail, would fill it out at my leisure, and mail it back. In Wisconsin, I had to hunt for access and had greater difficulty finding a time when registration is open. Then, I have to find a center to go do the actual voting. Insanity.

In Wisconsin, while driving, everyone respects a 4-way stop, this being an intersection without lights and a stop sign at all four points. You don't just come to a halt and then go. You stop, look at the other 3 stop signs and gauge whose turn it is. Btw, it's clockwise and everyone waits their turn. In Oregon, everyone stops and then just goes, sometimes all 4 at the same time. There's a general culture of annoyance with Illinois drivers here, and I think it may stem from them being the most frequent out of state drivers at the southern border combined with the fact that no one but the Wisconsinite respects the 4-way stop.

It's little things like that which make a general guide not very good.

In Oregon, I can find a coffee shop inside of 4 blocks of anywhere. In Wisconsin, people consider Starbucks good coffee and it's really the only "coffee" place there is. Someone please shoot me.

Wages. RN to start fresh out of nursing school receives a wage somewhere in the mid-30s in Oregon. RN with experience for a similar job in Wisconsin: $21.50 (which is less than I made as a CNA in Portland) -- that was my first offer anyway. I've asked around, many have started at ~$24. Needless to say I walked away. I fought and received a proper wage, but it took tenacity. When I first moved here a recruiter even called me up to yell at me for putting a wage expectation in the thirties down on a job application.

As to mail. It's garbage. Quite literally. Try as you might, you cannot get rid of the garbage that comes every week because a good portion of it doesn't even have an address printed on it. Companies like direct TV and the local grocery store have their shit deposited in your box whether you like it or not. There is no "do not mail" list. I've been in circles on this with phone tag and email, with both the post office and the companies in question. The end result, no change, just piles of garbage that would be better left in the recycling bin. I have to wonder at the crap that fills the box to full after 2 weeks, only to transfer half to the shredder and all to the recycling bin, why am I paying for this? That hasn't changed between the two states.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Um... yep. There are drive through liquor stores in Missouri.

Liquor can be sold in just about any establishment so long as they hold a license and abide by the law.

And yes, we still have a law that states you can't sell liquor until 12 (noon) on Sunday.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest that you pick a place that interests you, (at the moment), then we can direct you towards specific websites or publications to satisfy your curiosity. Once you figure out which suggestions work best, you will be better equipped to do self-directed research in the future.