PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay monthly for internet / cable tv?

juniper
02-06-2016, 02:30 AM
I'm looking at our monthly bill from Frontier FIOS and needing to have a lie-down for my headache. Headache partly because of the $$$ and partly because they make it so darn confusing to even understand what I'm paying for. :flag: We've called customer service 4 times today and sometimes they sound confused too.

Our situation is a bit different from most people - we need to have a landline phone at home because my husband is self employed and needs a fax machine at home. Fax # is same as landline. So we pay $31/month for the landline phone and that's on the same total bill.

Internet costs $20/month until Dec 2017 when it will go up to $35/month

Basic cable tv costs $78/month
DVR costs $20/month
Extra box for another room is $6/month

Taxes $25/month

Something else I can't figure out ...

Total per month ~ $180. Which sounds outrageous to me. I guess dropping cable, and just watching on Hulu or whatever would save about $100/month. We have Netflix already, I think that's about $10/month. Hulu would be $8/month. I'm not sure what all is on Hulu - I'm behind the times I know -

I really wish I could just pick and choose what channels to pay for on cable tv, but of course it's all packaged up so I'm paying for dozens of channels I never ever watch.

I'm curious as to if these prices are regional or average or as :rant: as they sound to me.

Tottie Scone
02-06-2016, 02:49 AM
25.40/month for landline and broadband.

We don't have TV, we just use catchup (Roku stick). If we got a TV licence for 145.50/year we would get a package of basic digital channels which are pretty decent. No idea what we would pay on top of that for satellite or cable. It just never seems worth it to us.

MaryMumsy
02-06-2016, 02:49 AM
We have Cox, with no landline. Internet and cable run us $174 a month. I know we have some extra stuff on the cable, two DVR boxes, and some sports channels for hubby that are a higher tier than basic.

MM

Tottie Scone
02-06-2016, 03:25 AM
Seems like a lot of spondulicks to me

Kerosene
02-06-2016, 03:53 AM
Give or take $50 for internet, which is quite high for the speed due to grandfather oligopoly bullshit system.

I seriously can't see paying for TV, especially renting cable/DVR boxes. 99% of the programming is shit, you either have to view commercials or fast forward through them, and have only a tiny amount of control over what you watch.

I've gotten a few folks in my apartments to switch from TV to just internet-based stuff. Chromecasts and Amazon Firesticks for their TVs with Netflix and Hulu and HBO Now. Even with the investment in the equipment, they're happier than ever.

WriterDude
02-06-2016, 12:10 PM
35 for BT phone and Internet. We don't use the land line but have to pay for it anyway.

10 for Netflix. Fiver for Now TV and whatever we pay for BBC.

Also 30 quid for two mobile phones that have limited 3G access.

Harry Douthwaite
02-07-2016, 01:52 AM
I'm in Canada and my parents pay $120 or so per month for a bundle (Cable TV with 30Mbps internet and landline phone) because we have a special offer with our service provider. For six months we get the cable TV for just $10/month on top of the $100/month + tax landline phone and internet. When the special offer expires six months after we got it we give up the TV and just go with internet and landline for $110/month.

CL Polk
02-07-2016, 02:07 AM
Internet only: $74 a month.

I use a mobile phone for everything.

shadowwalker
02-07-2016, 02:54 AM
$69/month for internet (including landline which we can only otherwise use for 911 calls). We dropped cable TV because I couldn't see paying nearly $180/month for 120 channels we didn't watch; Netflix, Hulu, and antenna do us just fine. Pay as you go phone (no monthly fees, btw). So I guess we're not doing too badly, although the internet is very, very slow.

ZachJPayne
02-07-2016, 03:26 AM
I was paying $40 a month for internet through Charter, and it was damn good internet. No need for cable, until these geniuses decide to let people pick their own channels, instead of bundling them.

Sungoddess
02-07-2016, 03:51 AM
Cox. $207 per month. Bundled for TV, landline, internet. No premium channels. Just added a mini box for another TV at $2.00 more a month. I think these prices are insane!

mirandashell
02-07-2016, 04:03 AM
Hmmm..... my landline and internet is almost 30 a month. I have a landline cos I get free calls. I give out my mobile number but use my landline for outgoing. My internet is very good, rarely slow and has never dropped out. Unlike the Virgin one I used to have.

I pay the British licence fee of 145 per year for TV. which sounds a lot but is well worth it for the range of programming. I also made a one-off payment of 40 quid for a Freeview box which gives me a load of channels for free.

And I pay a tenner a month for Netflix. So altogether, I pay 50 a month. Which is $72.50 in American. Not bad.

southernwriter
02-08-2016, 11:48 AM
I gave up cable. I can't tell you with enough vehemence how much I detest Comcast. I refuse to give them another damn dime. I do miss American Horror Story, but oh, well. I watch very limited TV. The Big Bang is a free network show (I can watch it up to three times a day on different stations if I want), and Madam Secretary and The Good Wife are on CBS. Downton Abbey is on PBS, and that's the extent of my TV viewing unless the weather is bad, in which case, I turn on the news. I get a lot more writing done when the TV is off.

I have a wifi hot spot that's about $10 per gig, and no landline.