PDA

View Full Version : Character

Chris1Alexis
02-05-2016, 01:35 AM
Tell me about a character you're currently working on in your story.

What is he or she like? Describe them to us as if he/she was a real person. Maybe we can help flesh them out with questions! This might be a really cool exercise!

WriterDude
02-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Had a couple of false starts on this thread. Most of my more interesting characters begin in one state, usually misunderstood and more often than not marginalised, but I expand that to something exceptional. If I describe them as I might a real person, I'd have to settle on who was describing them. That's tough.

Except Wade. Wade lies and conives but he doesn't change. And his eyes are too close together. Wade is all smiles and hand shakes, but he's a cunt truth be told. And the unique thing about Wade is that I don't have a real life counterpart for him. I never met anyone quite like Wade.

Bartholomew
02-06-2016, 01:31 AM
I'm down.

I've got a character I'm working on named Mei Li (which is a sort of common starting name I use, but I think it suits this character). She can make shadows dance. She looks shy but never is. She likes biking and snow. She's an exchange student and her English is infinitely better than she thinks it is.

Except Wade. Wade lies and conives but he doesn't change. And his eyes are too close together. Wade is all smiles and hand shakes, but he's a cunt truth be told. And the unique thing about Wade is that I don't have a real life counterpart for him. I never met anyone quite like Wade.

Hm. Maybe try to find why a complete stranger might like Wade in spite of this? I feel like his redeeming qualities need to shine out above his faults.

edutton
02-06-2016, 01:39 AM
OK, my MC Annie... she's slightly fragile emotionally, but a lot tougher than she realizes. She's fiercely loyal to her friends, and will take offense on their behalf faster than she will for herself. She's her own worst critic, but her inner monologue (aka "the bitch-voice") sometimes actually tells her what she needs to hear, if she can filter out the noise. She pays a lot of attention to what's going on in the lives of the people she cares about; HOWEVER... she can also be blindingly oblivious, usually at the most inopportune moments. :)

Bartholomew
02-06-2016, 01:47 AM
HOWEVER... she can also be blindingly oblivious, usually at the most inopportune moments. :)

Sounds like a fun element to the character. Maybe throw out an example of this?

Curlz
02-06-2016, 02:56 AM
I don't have much detail on the characters yet, this project started with an idea about the action part first. Poor things don't even have names yet :Shrug: I just call them by their professions. But I definitely know their personalities. So, there's a woman who is very much like "the devil" in "The Devil Wears Prada" and the more I think of it the more she's starting to resemble a young Maryl Streep. And she is going to be wearing a sharp suit (very uncomfortable for the situation she's going to be in, mwahahaha). She's definitely going to evolve into a much nicer person as the plot develops. The other MC is definitely going to be a younger version of Nick Nolte, a bit dishevelled and a bit of a drunkard, but very reliable (or, as it turns out, not so reliable but that's a twist, so shhhhhh). I don't think there will be much more character development at all, they are going to be pretty static.

edutton
02-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a fun element to the character. Maybe throw out an example of this?

OK... this is from fairly early in the story. Annie's BFF (Liz) has recently come out as lesbian, and really likes this girl she just met. Annie encouraged Liz to pursue the relationship, even went with her to the mall where the new girl worked for the first approach, to be an available shoulder in case it didn't work out. Good friend, right?

FF two weeks - Liz and the new girl are finally supposed to meet up at the (small town) Thanskgiving parade, for their first date. Annie is nearby, but mostly keeping an eye out for the guy *she's* interested in, who's marching in the parade. Liz gets an "I can't make it" text that she thinks sounds like a brush-off, just as the boyfriend marches by. Annie expresses sympathy for the missed date, but completely misses that Liz is marginally heartbroken and goes chasing off after the boyfriend. Other bad stuff happens while she's gone (can't give away all the plot points! :) ), and when she gets back ten minutes later a huge fight ensues and she really has no idea why.

edutton
02-06-2016, 07:36 AM
She can make shadows dance.

OK, I'm intrigued...

Silva
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM
(Like a real person, he says...)

So there was this one time I was on the subway and I got off at this station that lets out to this park. It isn't a really great place-- lots of drug busts there in the past few weeks-- but it's also kinda cool because there's like this circus of street performer people there. The resident sax jazz man, the mime, the statue, a few artists, a tarot card reader, some dancers, etc. Even a fire-breather once.

A lot of the time there's this one chick that who's doing like this little hula hoop dance thing, but really complicated (multiple hoops, upside down stunts, etc.). Get a little closer and oh, look, she's got this weird skin-colored mask over the upper half of her face. Can't even see her eyes, 'cause the eyeholes have this mesh stuff over them. Pretty creepy, because maybe she's looking in your direction, but is she looking at you, or something else? It's weird, man.

Anyway, I talked to her once, and she knew all this stuff about my life. That got a little uncomfortable. Called her a psychic (jokingly; I don't believe in psychics) and I got schooled (apparently she doesn't believe in psychics either).

Everything else she says didn't make sense half the time. Maybe she was on drugs, or maybe just addled by past usage (did see some old needle scars on her arm), or maybe she just likes saying random cryptic stuff to feel smarter than other people who don't know what she's talking about. I dunno what her deal is.

But that mask is really disconcerting, man.

Harry Douthwaite
02-07-2016, 02:25 AM
There's always one character that I always feel inclined to write about, probably because his origins run deep within my own past experiences and some of my fondest memories. His name is Timothy.

In my stories he takes a couple of forms, most commonly as an anthropomorphic raccoon aged between three and eight. Every now and again I write about him as a human boy - again aged between four and eight years old.
He's slightly chubby and is unsure of himself, often needing someone (a parent or an older-brother type of character) to encourage him to try new things. He loves to ride his bike, but he needs training wheels. He also suffers from nocturnal-enuresis.

Why does Timothy always appeal to my creative side? It's because I based him off of a childhood friend of mine, someone very special to me. We had a significant difference in age (about five years) but we were neighbors (still are) and I felt like he was the little brother I so desperately wanted but never had. I remember one time we were at the pool and he had to sit out for twenty minutes or so because he had a nosebleed. For that whole relatively short period of time I sat out with him while our other friends continued playing without us, I would much rather spend my time with him than play with my other friends while he sat out. There are only a couple of things he and Timothy share though - a slightly chubby figure, and a pair of orange flame shorts. (I'm still trying to find a pair like this: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8239/8535888146_20be5c3f13_o.jpg)

WriterDude
02-10-2016, 12:25 AM
What can I tell you about Libby? She's odd, physically. Her head is asymmetrical and her feet don't match. You'd be forgiven for thinking that she was a bit special. And she is.
She speaks in long slow deliberate inoffensive phrases and winces as she awaits a reply, as if the response might be non verbal. But she's kind and gives her time to children and the aged. She paints animals in face paint and looks in on her neighbours and listens to their tales.
She thinks of herself as a reject and her life without purpose but she's well hidden from a purpose she could do wtrll without.
She's also fixated on Matt the MC.