PDA

View Full Version : Children beating up robot

Bolero
02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
An experiment in a Japanese shopping centre, to see how people, especially children, interact with an autonomous robot.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/children-beating-up-robot

Interesting article as are the comments afterwards, which include a wide range of commentary on human and ape behaviour, and also querying the ethics of the experiment.

Jamesaritchie
02-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Did they try this same test with adults? When robots start asking me to move, I'm going to get abusive, too. Probably far more abusive than the children. I may even hunt down the builder and get verbally abusive with him, as well.

mirandashell
02-04-2016, 07:44 PM
That was interesting. But nothing surprising. I agree with the comment that the children are doing what children do in new situations: testing the boundaries. And I also agree that humans form packs, not herds.

As for the person berating the scientists for the unethical experiment.... they may have a point, maybe, but being that manic about it is not going to help.

mirandashell
02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
So when a robot politely says 'excuse me', you will abuse it. Wow. Do you do that when humans politely say 'excuse me'?

Says a lot about you.

BTW, do you live in Philadelphia?

Kylabelle
02-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Nope, this got off to a bad start and it was a bad idea to begin with, so, nope.

OP, if you want to try this in P&CE, it might be a better fit there anyway.