Am I over thinking?

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read a fast-paced novel that made me question my WIP. My MC, I decided, is too passive. She needs to actually find a body, rather than just hear about one being found. When I looked back over my set-up, I realized I should have plotted it that way from the beginning. (Just one duh moment after another, that's me) In order to make it so, though, I had to shift scenes every which way (losing a couple of already-written ones along the way:tongue).

Now, after all that--and I'm not completely finished with it--I find that I have too much time frame covered by too little story. Action begins on February 6, and the final confrontation will occur at a class reunion. Reunions can take place anytime but hereabouts they usually occur in April or May. So that's two to three months, and my story takes about six weeks.

Now I could change the time frame by either starting later or ending earlier. If I start later, I'll have to change a lot of references to weather. Ending earlier? As I said, reunions can take place anytime but would you buy one that occurs mid-March? It's beginning to warm up by that time here in Texas; in the Hill Country, where my story takes place, mid-March can be a glorious time for bluebonnets. Maybe that's why the organizers of the reunion chose that time to have it. Am I over thinking? Or am I just ber-serk cuz of all the hair-tearing I'm doing with the rearranging?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Texas weather is insane and highly variable. It's been like nine years now, but we had snow in April. Most years, we're already in shorts and debating the A/C by that point. Use the weather you need to use, and if it makes you fell better, mention that it's a "freak occurrence."

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Personally, I find timelines to be the single most frustrating part of ironing out a plot.

And yes, I think you're overthinking. I had no idea reunions tended to occur at specific times of year. :) If the bluebonnets don't work as a reason to move it, you could pick some other serendipitous reason, like everybody's favorite hotel/catering venue was booked on the dates everyone wanted, so they had to move it up. Or So-and-So Popular Person that everyone wants to see is traveling at the usual time, and has asked for it to be moved. One or two lines, and you've fixed it.

But I kind of like the bluebonnet idea.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, no, it sounds like you're going through revisions to make your WIP better. Far better that than to release something you're ambivalent about. Unless you're on a deadline, just roll with it.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read a fast-paced novel that made me question my WIP. My MC, I decided, is too passive. She needs to actually find a body, rather than just hear about one being found. When I looked back over my set-up, I realized I should have plotted it that way from the beginning. (Just one duh moment after another, that's me) In order to make it so, though, I had to shift scenes every which way (losing a couple of already-written ones along the way:tongue).

Now, after all that--and I'm not completely finished with it--I find that I have too much time frame covered by too little story. Action begins on February 6, and the final confrontation will occur at a class reunion. Reunions can take place anytime but hereabouts they usually occur in April or May. So that's two to three months, and my story takes about six weeks.

Now I could change the time frame by either starting later or ending earlier. If I start later, I'll have to change a lot of references to weather. Ending earlier? As I said, reunions can take place anytime but would you buy one that occurs mid-March? It's beginning to warm up by that time here in Texas; in the Hill Country, where my story takes place, mid-March can be a glorious time for bluebonnets. Maybe that's why the organizers of the reunion chose that time to have it. Am I over thinking? Or am I just ber-serk cuz of all the hair-tearing I'm doing with the rearranging?

I understand where you're coming from. I finished writing the first draft of my MS thinking I'd have to make little edits but I realized my MC was too passive and was just drifting through the story, reacting to things around them. Part could be overthinking, and part is just realizing that your WIP can be refined and improved. Just don't let it drive you crazy

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Actually, I'm glad I posted this thread. I decided to go with the bluebonnet thing and make the reunion whenever it works into the novel. As usual, I really appreciate the help.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The character should be more proactive, but there's nothing wrong with your timeline. I've red novels where years passed under the same circumstances. Timelines are pretty simple. You only write about the important things that happen during the time that passes. Whether days, weeks, months, or years go by, it's as simple as writing, "Six uneventful months passed before", "two years later".

Writers get in trouble with timelines when they try to fill all the time that passes with things that do not matter to the story.

o.Nixie.o

Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of those readers where I enjoy the story and try (very hard) not to care too long by how short of a time has passed. As an author, I have one book that takes place over just the course of two days. Its paced quite quickly but all of my readers truly loved it. Then I have another that is over the course of 4 months and they loved that one as well. I also have a 4 book series that takes place over years.

You can be "overthinking" on a level but... that's normal to do as an author. You are making sure you're covering your butt and making the manuscript shiny. Normal!

Most reunions I know of are during summer, by the way. However, I think that's lame to do because kids are out in the summer and its harder to plan around things, but... also people that don't live in the state and are coming back for the reunion could make a vacation out of it. See? Now who's overthinking? haha

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least here in my neck of the woods, reunions generally occur around Thanksgiving, or somewhere else in the fall--when peeps are back home from college, or if an older generation, a good time post-summer-vacation. Various groups in my high school circle have get-togethers round the calendar, but the big ones tend to fall in the autumn.

As for your story, you can always move up the time of the inciting incident if you need to. Unless snow and cold are vital elements of your plot, having it start over the spring or summer and ending in the fall shouldn't be a stretch.