• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fire Quill Publishing

UnbearableLight

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I get to post two today! Didn't locate this particular small press in the line-up either.

http://www.firequillpublishing.com/

A small outfit in South Africa. Their main page doesn't include any book covers or titles. The text there could use some editing, too. Based on their one blog post, dated Jan. 16, they might be less than a month old. The contact page is blank. The shop consists of six books by the same author, though the authors page indicates they have more books that might be coming out... Sometime?

Only one author has a profile page, which includes the covers and blurbs for her books. The covers are lovely, but the blurbs...

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Firequill's only author to date, at least according to their website, is Adrienne Woods. From her site:

My stories are plenty and it grows on a yearly basis so where I see myself in 10 years. An author with a lot of novels for readers like you.

This really, really doesn't fill me with a burning desire to read her novels.

I’ve recently started with my own Publishing company called Fire Quill Publishing here in South Africa. Authors do make the best publishers as they know what each and every author goes through, how they feel about the work and we do take it very seriously when trying to get you out there.
http://www.authoradriennewoods.com/about

Woods' name doesn't appear as a team member on Firequill's own website, on which Erika Bester is described as the company's founder (the website was registered by Erich Bester). The co-founder is Carlyle Labuschagne. You'd never guess from the latter's bio that she's also an "award-winning, bestselling" author published by...Firequill.

http://www.carlylelabuschagne.com/

It always amuses me when self-pubbed authors thank their own companies for taking them on, and both Woods and Labuschagne are guilty of this.

By the way, did anyone else take one look at the cover of Frostbite and think "I hope Disney's legal department never sees this?"

http://www.amazon.com/Frostbite-Dragonian-Book-Adrienne-Woods-ebook/dp/B00UENRM6I

Last edited:

UnbearableLight

Registered
Reaction score
They've got others listed on their author page, but no others in their store, or with bios, or anything of that nature -- it does make one wonder.

Good catch on the Frostbite cover. I don't really do the Disney thing, so it didn't stand out to me :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I haven't, but looking from the outside I notice a few things.

First, not every teen princess in an icy blue dress is Elsa from Frozen. Is this a deliberate reference? Probably. Is it worth Disney's time? Probably not.

Sales: the plus is that they're on NetGalley, for what that's worth now. The covers are not terrible.

Their current Amazon sales ranks are dreadful. As of a few minutes ago they had two pages of books on Amazon, 20 books in total. Three at 40,000 rank or lower, indicating some decent sales. One around 300,000. The rest, well over 1,000,000. Most books appear to be by Adrienne Woods.

It would be interesting to hear from Fire Quill authors.

Last edited:

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It is not obviously the case that they have taken on any outside writers at this point. It has the look of a predominantly self-publishing concern.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I signed a contract with Fire Quill for my upcoming release. So far, they've been very responsive and I look forward to working with them.