Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
It's Spring and so awards season (Oscars, Globes, SAGs, critics awards, TV awards, etc). Or at least the season for prepping for awards, as the sci-fi/fantasy world is doing now for their annual world convention and the giving of Hugo awards.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?314732-Hugo-Awards-2016

Which makes me think. Surely AW deserves an award. Or several. Maybe it has received them and I just don't know about it.

Just think about what an amazing creation it is. Started by one person, maintained and growing because of at least two hundred volunteers (probably lots more). Something like a hundred forums. In three-plus years I've been a fan I've never known the system to go down, and I connect to it at all hours of the day and night. Easy to use. Thousands of bright articulate people using it - who are smart enough to go elsewhere if it was a crappy product.

I do my little bit every few months by contributing a bit of money, $100 this month, usually half or a fourth of that. (I'm a retiree and don't have a lot of extra cash each month.)

So where do we go to push for an award or three for AW?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ahem, didn't you rather recently say you didn't care about the Hugos or other awards? ;)

Nevertheless, I agree AW is an amazing place, and I thank you, Laer, for supporting it financially as well as being an active member!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
... didn't you rather recently say you didn't care about the Hugos or other awards? :)

I did. I view literary awards in particular as entertainment, something to watch but not participate in myself. The books put out each year are so hugely diverse that I couldn't possibly pick any as The Best. Even restricting it to a specific genre such as sci-fi or mysteries makes it still a daunting task. I prefer to leave that to those who enjoy playing the Best Book game.

Forums can get awards!? Whoa.

Just about any human activity can. Why not forums? Especially if there's a cash award such as the Nobels have.

Of course, AW is not just A forum. It's a web site hosting a huge family of forums. I suppose it would compete in a website class, rather than any hypothetical (real?) forum class.

Of course we can give our own such award. At the bottom of each page is a blue button which says AW Subscription. Click it and a page comes up which lets us contribute to AW's upkeep. And despite the button's name, it's a one-time-only action unless we specifically check a box which says Make This Recurring Monthly.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
AW doesn't hand out awards. Our mods prefer hard liquor and fine chocolates. Sometimes mixed together.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Failing liquor or chocolate, the mods happily accept cold, hard cash monies. The larger the denomination, the better.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand AW's owner MacAllister is terribly fond of zeros, so any bill with a zero on it is especially prized.

Status
Not open for further replies.