Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ari Meermans has volunteered to take this room under her capable wing -- and I've taken her up on it before she can change her mind. :D

Thanks, Ari!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hah. Thanks, Mac.

Hello, gang. :) I spend a lot of time visiting the great conversations here though I haven't posted much. I'm a voracious reader across all genres and marketing categories, and I love reading the varied and respectful opinions here. Flat out LOVE this forum. I do.

If you have any suggestions on things we can do to make M/C/L even more interesting (or even more fun), please drop me a PM. I'm almost always around here somewhere and I'm here for you.

So, to regulars new and old, Hello again.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an occasional lurker at best, but it's nice to see you at the helm. The captain's hat suits you!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh very good! Ari, come hang out with us in Sloppy Joe's sometime! :D It's a kind of quirky place and we have fun.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

Great idea Lilith. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of stopped coming to Sloppy Joe's. They made me read poetry--good poetry! Those bastards.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for modding, Ari!

I promise to act up once in a while so you don't get bored.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. I expect to be busy enough trying to keep up with you all to get too bored . . . at least for a while. :D

But I do have something on my mind I'd like you all to ponder and give me your thoughts on: I've always thought it'd be nice to have a sticky here where we could put our book recs in one place, maybe kick back and discuss those books we just can't wait another single solitary minute to talk about. It would be a sort of Reading Room where we could kick back, have a latte & scones in the morn, maybe a cocktail in the evening and tell each other about the marvelous book we're reading or have just finished. What say you? Any interest?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I love that idea. Maybe a running list of some sort for books and shorts we've read that we think are good for this room, too? And a thread to keep each other abrest of what we're working on? Idk. There's lots that can be done to make this subforum more active and vibrant like the others.

And since it is in my top 5, I would love to see it be more lively.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Wanting to see this forum be more vital is definitely one of the reasons I asked for it, Lillith. I like the idea of a thread for a running list of recommendations that we wouldn't necessarily discuss in the depth we might in the "reading room". If we do that, I'll reserve the first post in the thread for an index of the recommendations. I'll have to have a think on a thread for discussing our WIPs; there are so many facilities available on AW for getting help on our thornier/technical problems and we already have "Sloppy Joe's" for moral support. Let me think about it and we'll revisit that if it becomes necessary for certain types of WIP discussions.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Keep the suggestions coming; they're all welcome and we'll examine, prioritize, and implement the viable ones. It's YOUR room, guys. My job is to facilitate discussions until they've run aground and to keep those discussions civil, respectful, and on-topic. That's it.

ETA: Well, yeah, and the modly technical stuff, too.

Last edited:

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Love the idea of a reading room. Sometimes I finish a book and am dying to discuss it, or talk about it, or praise it and I don't know where to go. My hubby doesn't read, I can't always reach friends. So, great idea!

Also, having dipped into some of the other forums and seen flame wars, I'm so grateful that we haven't had any here. It makes this a safe place to open up.

Thanks Ari for getting us going!!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I have the same issue—a spouse who doesn't read and no one to talk books with but myself.

Yeah, AW's One Rule and its diligent enforcement brought me out of lurkdom and kept me here. It's the only "rule" needed in this room, so there'll be no heavy-handed guidelines like those I have in AE&BP. Nothing here to have to clean up, you see. You're a lovely bunch and I thank you.

We'll try a reading room and see how much interest it generates. I think I'll combine the original idea with Lillith's into one thread and index the discussions.

Oh, you're very welcome, but it's really up to you all. I want to help you have the room you want.

ETA: By the way, anyone have any ideas for naming the reading room?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.