PDA

View Full Version : To all you Americans

Melisande
04-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Do you know about the legends of Roland? I am planning to integrate that mighty warrior into my next story, but if Roland is unknown here, that might be a bad idea.
The story is aimed at 7 - 11 year olds.

MadScientistMatt
04-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I've heard a little about him, but I don't think I had heard anything about him when I was 11.

Good Word
04-21-2006, 01:05 AM
I think I went out with him in high school.

Edited to add: No, I haven't. But you shouldn't let the fact that some folks may not have heard of him deter you. It's all a matter of how you write it. There's a first time for everything--everyone hears about Merlin or the Knights of the Round Table for the first time. :)

ideagirl
04-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Do you know about the legends of Roland? I am planning to integrate that mighty warrior into my next story, but if Roland is unknown here, that might be a bad idea.

I've heard of him, but then I was a French major.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with including him for American 7-11 year olds, even if they have no idea who he is. Look at it this way: writers create brand new characters totally unknown to their readers all the time (e.g., Harry Potter), and they make those characters known to the readers by describing them. You can use the same approach to present Roland to your readers--just describe and present him the way you would if he were a character you'd invented, so that readers with no background in his story will get to know and understand him.

roach
04-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I recognize the name, but couldn't tell you anything about him. I don't think that should be a problem though. Most of my education in mythology, fables, culture heroes and religion came from reading fiction. I'd read a reference in a book and then go look it up. Look at this as an opportunity to bring his story to young readers.

rtilryarms
04-21-2006, 02:27 AM
I've never heard of the legend, sorry.

Melisande
04-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Thank you for responding.

I know rather a lot about Roland. In Europe he is fairly well known everywhere.
I think I will follow your very good advice, Ideagirl:
"You can use the same approach to present Roland to your readers--just describe and present him the way you would if he were a character you'd invented, so that readers with no background in his story will get to know and understand him."

Have not figured out how that quote-button works.
Thanks again.

sunandshadow
04-21-2006, 03:11 AM
I keep thinking I should do a children's story about the female knight Bradamant...

alleycat
04-21-2006, 05:16 AM
I know the story of Roland, but I would say the majority of American 7 to 11-year olds would not. Is is really necessary that they would for your own story to work?

ac

rtilryarms
04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
If you write it, then we will have heard about it :)

Melisande
04-21-2006, 05:29 PM
You are so right! Thanks

Jaycinth
04-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Roland? You mean one of Charlamagne's knights? Fought the Moors in the Pyrennes ( I KNOW I spelled that wrong). Related literary work an epic poem "Song of Roland". You mean that one?

Nope, never heard of him. Seriously. It is an unfortunate fact that right now, in American schools, History gets glossed over. I think that sometimes 'Historical Fiction' is the only exposure to some parts of history that kids get.

I also seem to remember that in 6th grade they do Ancient History up through the Middle Ages, so a book about Roland aimed at 7 to lets say 12 year olds could get picked up by Scholastic if you do it right. You know one of those books that the school boards love because it fills two niches at once.

I've got a 13 year old. She'd probably read it. Roland isn't as 'romantic' as King Arthur, but the boys would like the fighting and the girls would like the knights.

Melisande
04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Jaycinth,
Yes I mean THAT Roland.

I was planning to write a fairytale, weaving together two stories at once. One from the animal kingdom, crossed with the saga of Roland. Oh, it sounds weird, but in my head it's all logical. Maybe, after having read what you suggest, I will have to rethink the outline. Thanks!

Jenan Mac
04-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Not familiar with Roland, but I have 8yo twins who would be thrilled with a good legendary warrior. Do write the story!

Jaycinth
04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Jaycinth,
Yes I mean THAT Roland.

I was planning to write a fairytale, weaving together two stories at once. One from the animal kingdom, crossed with the saga of Roland. Oh, it sounds weird, but in my head it's all logical. Maybe, after having read what you suggest, I will have to rethink the outline. Thanks!

One more thought. Perhaps write it so you can serialize it. My daughter just finised a series about young Merlin, and I think she enjoyed the hunting out of the next book as much as she liked the story itself.

Good luck, this sounds like an interesting and VERY original project!