PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding query ettiquette

Rusted
01-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Just a quick question regarding query etiquette.

Of ten or so agents at a particular agency, two list my novel's genre as something of interest to them. If I get rejected by person A at the agency, is it bad form to then query agent B? I guess what I'm asking is, should I consider a rejection as coming from only that specific agent, or is that rejection representative of the agency as a whole?

Thanks!

Parametric
01-23-2016, 05:03 PM
This is different for each agency. The agency's website should tell you if it's acceptable to query multiple agents at that agency.

StoryofWoe
01-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Check the agency's website. Usually, there'll be something along the lines of "If you haven't heard back from one of us in X amount of time, you may query another agent..." or alternately, "A rejection from one is a rejection from all" somewhere on the submissions guidelines page. The comments section on the agents' Query Tracker profiles is another good place to look. If it isn't spelled out on the agency's website, I'd wait until I received a rejection from one agent and then query the other.

Rusted
01-23-2016, 05:40 PM
It isn't listed in the website's guidelines. They seemed to work at different offices so I wasn't sure if there was an industry standard for this. I'll just query them one at a time.

Many thanks!

Jamesaritchie
01-23-2016, 11:58 PM
If one rejects it, then ask if you can submit to another.

Trdriver
02-21-2016, 04:33 AM
If one rejects it, then ask if you can submit to another.

I like that answer. That's what I will plan to do unless the site specifically said not to do that.

Mamitt
03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Please query only one agent within the Agency at a time.

Does this mean it is ok to query another agent at the agency if the first has passed?

If so: how long do you wait to query another if the first agent states that he/she doesn't respond to all queries?

Thanks in advance!

Earthling
03-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Does this mean it is ok to query another agent at the agency if the first has passed?

Thanks in advance!

Yep. Good luck!

Also, I'd never ask. If their submission guidelines don't say not to do it, just do it.