PDA

View Full Version : Blog Short Fiction Contest

Starlightmntn
04-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd like to announce the "Two Lights" Short Fiction Contest on my blog, The Clarity of Night. The challenge is to write a short fiction piece (250 word limit) inspired by the picture I posted. Here's the link:

http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2006/04/two-lights-short-fiction-contest.html

Prizes include a $25 Amazon gift certificate for 1st Place, and a $10 Amazon gift certificate for 2nd Place.

Hope to see you there!

Dawno
04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Hiya! Great idea and thanks for sponsoring it.

Based on some input I've seen to other offers of a like nature here, you might want to put some more info here about why you're doing this - I think folk will want to know your reasons and whether or not this is just for fun or a more serious effort - especially if they'll be losing first publication rights by having it posted it online...

Starlightmntn
04-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Good point, Dawno.

The reasons why you might like to enter:
1. A fun writing exercise.
2. Prizes!
3. When everyone starts from a similar point and has the same number of words to work with, you can really see the impact of style and voice. I think it's a great learning experience for all involved.

The reasons why I'm sponsoring the contest:
1. I've seen a lot of great interraction among writers with other low pressure blog contests. It's good for community building. The prizes and competition just juices it up a little.
2. Good exposure for my blog.

Regarding copyright: other than consenting to my posting of your entry on my blog, all rights will remain with the author. I'll add a statement on my blog post. Of course, the posting of your entry means that you won't be able to offer first publication rights to someone else. It's just a 250-word concept piece though. I'm not sure there'd be another market for it anyway.

Any takers? I know you have your eye on that latest release at Amazon.;)