Blog Short Fiction Contest

Starlightmntn

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to announce the "Two Lights" Short Fiction Contest on my blog, The Clarity of Night. The challenge is to write a short fiction piece (250 word limit) inspired by the picture I posted. Here's the link:

http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/2006/04/two-lights-short-fiction-contest.html

Prizes include a $25 Amazon gift certificate for 1st Place, and a $10 Amazon gift certificate for 2nd Place.

Hope to see you there!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Hiya! Great idea and thanks for sponsoring it.

Based on some input I've seen to other offers of a like nature here, you might want to put some more info here about why you're doing this - I think folk will want to know your reasons and whether or not this is just for fun or a more serious effort - especially if they'll be losing first publication rights by having it posted it online...

Starlightmntn

Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Dawno.

The reasons why you might like to enter:
1. A fun writing exercise.
2. Prizes!
3. When everyone starts from a similar point and has the same number of words to work with, you can really see the impact of style and voice. I think it's a great learning experience for all involved.

The reasons why I'm sponsoring the contest:
1. I've seen a lot of great interraction among writers with other low pressure blog contests. It's good for community building. The prizes and competition just juices it up a little.
2. Good exposure for my blog.

Regarding copyright: other than consenting to my posting of your entry on my blog, all rights will remain with the author. I'll add a statement on my blog post. Of course, the posting of your entry means that you won't be able to offer first publication rights to someone else. It's just a 250-word concept piece though. I'm not sure there'd be another market for it anyway.

Any takers? I know you have your eye on that latest release at Amazon.;)