PDA

View Full Version : RIP David Hartwell

amergina
01-21-2016, 08:32 AM
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/01/david-g-hartwell-1941-2016/

Hartwell’s publishing career began in 1971 as a consulting SF editor for Signet. He joined Berkley in 1973, later rising to editor-in-chief of science fiction there. After moving to Pocket books in 1978, he launched the influential Timescape imprint, which ran until 1983. In 1985 he joined Arbor House (later merged into Avon/Morrow). He began working as a consulting editor for Tor Books in 1983, and became a full-time senior editor at Tor/Forge in 1995.

Hartwell edited thousands of SF books starting in the 1970s, and edited or co-edited over 40 anthologies...

He was a giant in the field.

I met Hartwell at a small con in Columbus a few years back and he was a kind man with a huge knowledge of the field who was always willing to talk to new writers.

Many condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Roxxsmom
01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
I have never met him personally, but my social media has been flooded with eulogies. He has clearly touched the lives of many writers I admire. It sounds like he was a very talented editor, an excellent mentor to the authors and other editors he worked with, and a fun person. My thoughts are with his friends, colleagues, and loved ones.

RichardGarfinkle
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM
David edited my first two novels. I don't think I would have made a start without him. He was smart and insightful and SF was so much a part of him.

He enjoyed the entertainment of it but he also saw it as more than just entertainment. He created and ran the New York Review of Science Fiction which brought in a literary perspective to the field.

He had a depth of interest in this part of literature that few could match.

We've lost a light and a sharp eye and a funny guy who loved funny ties.

Albedo
01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
I know of him mostly through the short story collections he edited and which I've been buying for many years, which stimulated and helped maintain my interest in writing. He had good taste.

eqb
01-21-2016, 03:52 PM
He was a warm and kind and helpful man. And a smart editor.

Every time I saw him, he had a friendly smile and hello for me. I can't believe I won't see him at Boskone.