PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Question

thisprovinciallife
01-16-2016, 03:14 AM
Hello!

My WIP has a character with hearing loss and a character who doesn't speak the same language as the others. They communicate a lot through the Google Translate app and handwritten notes. I'm pretty sure it sounds more complicated than it actually is, and I think a future publisher could make it all very easy to read with a few clever formatting tricks (I've read several books where texting/messaging and handwritten notes are formatted in a way that doesn't take away from the reading experience). But I'm not sure about how to format the MS for submission to agents. Should I go with italics? Regular old quotation marks?

Thanks!

Aggy B.
01-16-2016, 07:06 AM
For things that were handwritten like a note (that were more than a single sentence) I did a double tab so the text started at 1 inch instead of half an inch (inside the margin, of course). I think I used italics as well, when I had passages that were being (silently) read from a book. (But regular tabs there.)

The really important thing is to be consistent and not do something that is difficult or confusing to read.

I have one MS in which I indicate signed conversations with /on either side of the relevant sentences./ (I have also used *to indicate when a mechanical creature was speaking not-English* but that is a bold auto-correct with most word processors so I haven't done that with MSs that I subbed because it might change by default.)

Hope this helps.

FLChicken
01-16-2016, 07:10 AM
I copied what my CP did in her published books. Regarding text messages, she bolded and indented them from the regular paragraphs.