Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We can certainly try. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you, for starters, is to get yourself out of the habit of text-msg-speak. That is, actually write out "you" instead of using "u."

Mostly, though, you start writing. Writers write. Are you interested in fiction, or nonfiction? Short stories or novels? The "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" thread has a tremendous ammount of excellent information--I highly recommend reading the whole thread from the beginning.

cesarcarlos

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy JSM

Welcome to the board, I'm new too :p

I understand you are interested in writing horror? Many ways to start. The number 1 way is of course to just write. Of course there are different ways of starting up. Are you interested in short stories? A novel, perhaps?

Tell us a bit more about your writing or ideas and which areas do you think you need help.

Best,

CPG

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cooler, JSM and Cesar! We're very glad to have you join us.

LJ

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot to ask...can I borrow $20?

(Thanks for the reminder, Lisa! ;) )

Last edited:

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, guys. :)

Writing is just like walking. Write a sentence. Then another. You'll take awkward baby steps at first, but gradually your motor skills will improve with time.

jsm

Registered
Reaction score
thanks all of you for your advice i have started my book i think it is going to be a novel (if thats the long version of a book) and its nofiction (not real right)

sorry i havent got the words yet

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
jsm said:
thanks all of you for your advice i have started my book i think it is going to be a novel (if thats the long version of a book) and its nofiction (not real right)

sorry i havent got the words yet

Hi jsm,

Non-fiction is factual, fiction isn't. So novels are fiction. I really, really reccomend the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" thread. That thread helped me more than anything else, ever.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Hello and welcome!

Please--take to heart the other post about dropping text-speak. Get into the habit of using correct grammar and spelling and capitalizing "I". People will respect your work more if YOU respect it as well!

Get this book: "The Elements of Style" by Stunk and White. It's cheap, it's thin, and a fast read, but has everything you need to get off to a good start. You'll find it at most libraries and used bookstores if you're on a budget.

You'll also find it on or near the desk of just about every professional writer.

A writer has to correctly learn to use the medium of language the same as an artist learns how to mix certain paints to get the color he wants.

Besides--the less work an editor has to do the closer you get to a sale!
biggrin.gif

Good luck!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Welcome JSM,

It's good to see another person join the ranks of the pen weilding society...or maybe it's a bad thing because I have more competition...

I agree with a few others when I say that you should tidy up your grammar. I'll second Gillhoughly's recommendation of the 'Elements of Style.' I do have a copy with me for reference.

To get started, try writing without the aim of being published, but just writing. When you start, every sentence doesn't have to be perfect. Just start writing what comes to your head. As you continue, you'll hone your skills. Also, read a lot; It helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.