Bags or Cans of Coffee

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Thanks in advance to anyone who has any kind of information about this topic.

My main character is a coffee aficionado and while i drink the occasional cup of coffee I don't drink it or know as much about it as he does. I've looked a few places but have found differing opinions about whether coffee from a bag of coffee from a can holds its flavor longer. If anyone has in further information about this one way or the other it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A coffee aficionado is buying whole beans in small quantities and grinding to brew.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
It's going to depend on what brand they drink I'd assume. Also remember that some people enjoy roasting and grinding their own coffee so there's that too.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
A coffee aficionado is likely to buy from a local coffee house. Chances are they will tell him what's new, what's hot, let him sniff the beans or brew him a cup (free or for a small fee), weigh the quantity he needs, and put them in a brown paper bag or something. At home, the aficionado may put the beans in a (n air-tight) jar and grind whatever he needs for brewing.

These are some "hot" coffeehouses Forbes reported a few years back. You can take a look to see how they package their stuff: Blue Bottle Coffee, Cafe Grumpy, Victrola Coffee Roasters.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
A coffee aficionado is buying whole beans in small quantities and grinding to brew.

yep. they aren't looking for coffee that will "keep its flavor longer" because they want it as fresh as possible.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Bags. Coffee aficionados (and my hometown of Anchorage, Alaska is even more of a per capita coffee-snob place than is Seattle) are like wine aficionados. They have their preferences for local roasters, virtually all of whom will sell their roasted whole beans in a vast number of varieties in small bags, usually 1 pound I believe. And they will keep them in the freezer, to preserve the essential volatile oils and esters that give all the exquisite flavors.

I don't drink coffee, but my daughter has long been a barista, both full- and part-time, and is definitely one of these aficionados, big time. Her sole request for Christmas presents and birthdays is coffee from a prominent local coffee business here in town, which she swears makes the best coffees she's ever had anywhere. She has lived in a bunch of places, currently in a major university town in the Midwest.

caw

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked a few places but have found differing opinions about whether coffee from a bag of coffee from a can holds its flavor longer.

Cans. Until they are opened of course. But no aficionado is drinking coffee from a can. Maxwell House and Folgers are the Budweiser and Pabst Blue Ribbon of the craft beer world.

Jeff

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A coffee fan is also likely to have an expensive, state of the art espresso machine (if he likes espresso, that is, some people don't.)

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Awesome responses thanks so much everyone looks like everyone kind of has their own preferences, but everyone has said that he would probably care a lot about where the coffee comes from as far as companies and such. This will all definitely help me out.