Anyone here in Waste Management?

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP/mystery is set in 1985, and my MC owns a waste-management business. I live in the Texas hill country; the book's set here as well. During that period, there was a garbage company in this area run and managed by a woman. I've interviewed her--she works as a CPA--and our local BFI, which pretty much dominates now. There's a lot of information about waste management online these days too, but I'd still like someone with knowledge of the business to make sure I've set up a workable company.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, WeaselFire. I do, but she stays pretty busy running a business here in town. I hate to impose, though if needs be, I'll put aside my reluctance.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the specific question, I might be able to help - for instance:
As a control contractor I have successfully converted 3 Waste-to-energy plants from pneumatic to digital PLC (programmable logic control) from 1989 to 1991, specifically Allen Bradley PL-5 and square D Symac. Previously I installed and serviced Pneumatic controls which would have been predominant in your time frame. So if it is about how they work, I can help.

Since I now operate facilities, I am very familiar with inter-city, inter-county and site-specific contracts - and their plusses and minuses, if the question is in contracts, I can help lead you to the proper public records or give insight on how I negotiate terms outside of the rip-off county and city contracts.

I have also done work for Waste Management corporate here in Fort Lauderdale, the corporate offices where Wayne Huizenga started it and it continues, and may have insight to their structure - again depending on your question specifics.

If I can help, let me know

Last edited:

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
interesting, I have a new computer with Windows 10 and tried t edit errors, I wanted to update with "I have also done work for Waste Management corporate here in Fort Lauderdale, the corporate offices where Wayne Huizenga started it and it continues, and may have insight to their structure - again depending on your question specifics."

If I still can't I will inform Admin

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! If you don't mind, I'll PM questions as they come up. Thanks again.