ShadowHunters the series

emmajmcwill

Registered
Reaction score
I am! I'm tentatively optimistic but after the City of Bones movie I have trust issues :p

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'll be tuning in, even though I preferred the Infernal Devices trilogy to the Mortal Instruments books.

I especially relished the irony of ABC Family/FreeForm heavily promoting the show during their recent Harry Potter weekend ...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have low expectations but I'll be watching nonetheless.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite book series, so yes, I will be watching it. Mostly for the characters who didn't get enough play in the movie (Isabelle, Simon, Magnus, etc). I was disappointed it did so poorly in the theater because I just wanted to see the stories played out on the big screen. However, I have watched the trailers for the TV series, and I am completely, 100% prepared for total cheese. The actors all look a little too old IMO, but I'm going to roll with it because I do love the story.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
It starts tonight 9pm (EST).

And I agree. Magnus, in the commercials/trailer, looks pretty damn awesome. Looking forward to seeing how his relationship with Alec unfolds on the screen. I hope there's chemistry between them.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp. It looks like they have a good cast going!

I think my biggest challenge is going to be dealing with the Tumblr fankids who, inevitably, are going to go "ZOMG they didn't follow the book perfectly down to this tiny, minute, detail that even the author doesn't give a f**k about."

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Color me impressed:

Playing the role of Clary Fray, Katherine McNamara has been acting professionally since the age of 13, beginning her career on Broadway in A Little Night Music, with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury. She was also featured in To Kill A Mockingbird, The Crucible, and The Secret Garden. Already a very familiar face on Freeform, McNamara has guest starred on The Fosters, as well as Disney Channel’s Kickin’ It, Jessie and the Disney Channel original movie Girl vs. Monster. She is set to appear in the upcoming movie Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials later this year. Aside from being an actress, McNamara is a seasoned dancer, with a background in tap, jazz, hip-hop, ballet, lyrical, hula and waltz. Also, Katherine is whip-smart, having graduated with honors from high school at 14, and earned her bachelor's degree summa cum laude by the age of 17!

http://www.shadowhunterstv.com/Cast

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Now I need to go back and re-watch The Fosters, since I don't remember seeing Kat.

That is freaking impressive, and she's definitely a star to watch -- perhaps an incarnation of Hedy Lamarr

emmajmcwill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp. It looks like they have a good cast going!

I think my biggest challenge is going to be dealing with the Tumblr fankids who, inevitably, are going to go "ZOMG they didn't follow the book perfectly down to this tiny, minute, detail that even the author doesn't give a f**k about."

Oh, I am honestly rooting for them to not include everything from the book.... lol especially the first two, I felt they had the most unnecessary scenes that didn't lend anything to the plot, AND I want them to devote screentime to things that stayed "off-screen" in the book, particularly Alec and Magnus in the early part of their relationship.

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
Cassandra Clare has written countless blog posts to remind fans that she is not involved in the show and how it is portrayed on screen. She has said in no uncertain terms that they have changed some key elements of characters and she's slightly disappointed in those changes. She has also said that she has stopped reading the scripts for the future episodes considering there is nothing she can say or do to change things about them. Although she is perfectly happy promoting the show and was involved in choosing the main cast.

Here's her blog. http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com

Some interesting stuff that might be useful to us writers who hope to one day be published AND have our work adapted to TV or film. (Small note: Clare uses Tumblr as her blog space so there are also a lot of pictures and things to scroll past if you want to read the posts about the show).

That all being said. I love the book series and am going to watch the TV show. With an open mind.

Last edited:

emmajmcwill

Registered
Reaction score
NGL the first episode was cringe-y but I watched the second episode when it went up ABC Family's/Freeform's app and it starts to get a good stride going about halfway through the second episode when the actors relax and stop acting so stiffly (The first three chapters of City of Bones are the weakest of the whole series, so that kinda makes sense--I was hoping they would go for improving it for the pilot but I also hate pilots as a rule so YMMV.)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the first epi last night, so I think I missed the free next epi. Booo. I'll have to wait until Tuesday. I watched it with my hubby and it was actually better than I thought. It had some cheese, but it was expected so it didn't bother me too much. I was worried about the actress who plays Clary when watching the trailers, but she actually did a pretty good job. I don't remember Clary turning 18 in the book? Is that how old she was or was she 16? It makes sense for the show's sake that they all look a little older because I thought the casting was off. Magnus was delicious in his small scene and I enjoyed seeing the tension with Alec being upset that Jace was all into Clary.

I look forward to the next epi!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the first epi last night, so I think I missed the free next epi. Booo. I'll have to wait until Tuesday.

If you can get the Freeform page to come up in your area, you should be able to watch both episodes.

Definite cheese, and definite over-acting, but that's not unusual with a show in its early episodes. The cast seems surprisingly solid, so it should mellow in the next few weeks.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes more sense. Hmm...aging them up takes away a bit of the innocence for me, but I guess it gives them the freedom to do some on screen things that are maybe more ag-appropriate? Which I guess goes in line with the writers/directors going a bit away from the books? I thought some of the affects were well done

roswell1828

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I too love the book series and was afraid to watch the show. I actually didn't mind the movie so much *ducks head* LOL! I finally caved in and watched it. It's definitely got a cheese element to it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it gets better. I do like the actors they've picked, so that's a good start.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
btw, thanks, cyia! i am able to get it. haven't watch it yet though. maybe tonight.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
My fiance and I have watched the first two episodes so far...I must say while this is better than the movie IMO, there are still some things I have issue with. The changes to the story continue to throw me off, and if I had not read the books, I feel I would be lost in the show, which is detrimental for the show itself (people new to the series will likely get lost and stop watching). Casting wise, I like Alec, Simon, and I think they did a better job with Isabel, and Clary is meh (felt the same way for the movies though...fun fact, it is the actress from one of the goosebump movies :p ). I preferred Magnus and Jace from the movie though, might just be personal preference haha. (also, I had a completely different image of Lucas in my mind...oh well). Visual wise, I think they are doing a decent job with the effects, and I enjoy the runes and weapons in the show much more than the movies. This is all personal opinion, but hey, I'm allowed to speak my mind :p