Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Has anyone tried this Comic Book POD company.

A aquantance of mine who does Space-Punks (http://www.spacepunks.com) is really happy with them and the price is actually competative to most indy/short run comics.

Wanted to get more opinions. I am thinking of printing some stuff up for Comic-Con with them.

Link: http://www.comixpress.com/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have trouble finding PODs that are reasonable for comics, if you know of others I would be interested to hear about them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I priced up a standrad sort of comic with 28 pages and got a quote of $20 to set up and $1.63 per issue. I must say that so long as shipping is reasonably priced that looks like a good deal.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
veinglory said:
I priced up a standrad sort of comic with 28 pages and got a quote of $20 to set up and $1.63 per issue. I must say that so long as shipping is reasonably priced that looks like a good deal.

I was thinking of trying them out to print a preview of my graphic novel for coimc-con.

Please post your experiences. I would love to know what happens.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Over at digitalwebbing.com, in their Forums section (a formidable comic book forum) they have good things to say about comixpress.com. I haven't used them m'self, though.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Brian,

Check with Tim Demeter who does the Reckless Life webcomic on Graphic Smash. I believe he's run some printed collections of his comic through Comixpress.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I know a lot of people who go through Lulu.com for comics, but comixpress seems to be catching up. I haven't tried them myself, but I don't recall hearing anything dramatically bad, either.

realist from earth

I queried Cold Cut Distribution about comixpress, and the use of a comixpress ad. The use of it, even the one on the back cover, has no effect on Cold Cut's decision on if they will distribute the comic. Now Diamond Distributors has different rules and I haven't checked them yet.

As for me I plan on releasing a graphic novel with a limited distribution, so Cold Cut is who I will go through.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I would be very curious to see what Diamond says about it. They tend to be a pretty large distributor, and the one that I guess I would pay most attention to.

realist from earth

PeeDee said:
I would be very curious to see what Diamond says about it. They tend to be a pretty large distributor, and the one that I guess I would pay most attention to.

True...depending upon the size of your distribution area. If you plan on selling issues in the thousands and incidentally have thousands to spend than yeah Diamond is your best bet. Although if you plan on having a more modest distribution than Cold Cut or Last Gasp would be a good bet.

While it is true that most comics will not sell that many issues, and we all want to be successful; success can turn into a bad thing really fast. The example is that if you only print a couple hundred comics and only sell 150 than you are fine, but if you only print a couple hundred comics and Diamond orders 1000 then you are in a bit of a situation.

In the end it depends on where you stand as far as finances. Personally I am going the small route to test the waters, and so that I don't overwelm my already straped finances.

realist from earth

Also...Cold Cut is a backorder distributor. This means that they will carry backorders so that even if you go with Diamond, you might consider Cold Cut for your unsold issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.