PDA

View Full Version : For Children In The Sea

Kylabelle
01-09-2016, 02:44 AM
(This was inspired in part by William's poem (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?314671-Of-Children-Torn-by-War) on the same theme, and also inspired by lines of annetookeen's.)

To a shrieking pig
I can say be still
you are just meat.
To a bawling beef cow
I can say it is your destiny
to die to feed us, to a hooked fish
your struggle is mere instinct
you barely have a brain you can't
be suffering

What say
to a drowning human child?
To hundred thousands of them?
It is not the sea
whose hunger fills itself
with small bodies.

Listen, destiny is a lie.
Love and pity
may not reach as far
as your hand.

Come, step into this boat.
We might just reach a place
where life is possible.

~~~~~
I want there to be an outcry in poetry, I want there to be many many poems speaking to this. I have not been able to write to this, but upon reading William's poem today (also posted in this Poetry forum) (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?314689-When-poetry-and-politics-intersect) I felt able to begin. Perhaps there are other poems addressing the refugee tragedy but I have not seen them. There need to be more. They should be everywhere.

William Haskins
01-10-2016, 01:42 AM
this cuts to the bone, kyla.

CassandraW
01-10-2016, 02:19 AM
Indeed. Thank you, Kyla.

And you are right -- there cannot be enough poems about this. Back in the spring, I started a poem about the child victims of Boko Haram who'd lost their own languages and names, but for various reasons, I pretty much stopped writing for a while, and abandoned it unfinished. You and William have inspired me -- I'm going to pick it up again. Will post it when I do.

Kylabelle
01-10-2016, 02:47 AM
Thank you both. And, Cass, when yours is ready I'll be glad to read it. If either of you run across other voices beginning to make poems about this, I'd very much like to know of them.

CassandraW
01-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Will do. If enough of our poets do poems on this theme, perhaps we can ultimately put them together in a thread in chapbook.

I did one a while ago on ISIS's destruction of ancient monuments, but I suppose that's moving off the suffering migrant topic and onto the more general "ISIS sucks" topic (still upsets the hell out of me, though).

ETA:

Hmm. I can envision either an AW book or a contest on this theme (or possibly a slightly broader one that would encompass other important events), if enough people were interested in participating.