My agent fed the world - What happens next?

Crow

I write a popular blog that's been featured in several news outlets. I tell stories about my job, my life, my kids, my pets. I didn't mean to be a writer. I told stories to save my mind from seeping into the desert.

But somehow a following gathered around me and an agent with a good reputation begged me for a good year to write a book. I wrote that book. Why not, I figured? It's just pixels on a screen. No one cares. Not really. But a dozen (plus a few!) editors pestered my agent until I finished the damn book, and now it's in their hands. I'm waiting. I don't know what happens next. I'm scared, to tell the truth. I liked being anonymous.

What happens next? My book was sent out last week. What should I expect? These are all editors who asked to see it, not one is unsolicited. My agent said it could go to auction. I don't know what that is, really, or how it works. Could you give me a rundown of what might happen?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Crow, the non-writer

Crow

Thank you so much for your kind reply, aruna!

I'm not able to access that forum, however. It is password protected.

????

Cheers!

Crow

Crow

Thank you, arunda. I appreciate it. I read the entry.

I'm wondering, though, what the actual process is. I don't mind so much the pros and cons - I didn't start this journey with any desire. I honestly don't know what happens next. Is a book auction like a county auction? Do people place bids on my hide in the open? Is it closed? I have no idea, even though I am in the thick of it.

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Crow

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Crow said:
Thank you, arunda. I appreciate it. I read the entry.

I'm wondering, though, what the actual process is. I don't mind so much the pros and cons - I didn't start this journey with any desire. I honestly don't know what happens next. Is a book auction like a county auction? Do people place bids on my hide in the open? Is it closed? I have no idea, even though I am in the thick of it.

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Crow

There are various processes. In my case, I am in a "long" auction. None of the publishers asked to see the manuscript, it's based on my agent's pitch to them. If they indicate interest in the "premise" of the novel (in my case, hopefully the most original serial killer novel to come along in years), then my agent puts them on the list.

After the manuscripts are submitted, some publishers probably read the first fifty pages, it isn't what they were looking for and they pass out of hand. Others will take a week or two or three or four. The target date to end the auction is something of a paper tiger -- it can be extended at will. An additional complication in my case is that I have agreed to do a complete revision and resubmission for one publisher. So there will be even more than one manuscript version floating around.

In a more traditional auction, the manuscript has been circulating in the publishing community, maybe in full, maybe in excerpt. The agent selects a certain number of publishers who have evinced interest and asks for bids. Sometimes the agent will get one offer, and then go out to auction if he thinks the offer is not high enough. The agent may, or may not, inform other publishers of a bid amount to try to obtain a higher bid (note, this was the subject of a major scandal involving agent Natasha Kern, who created a fictitious bid to get a publisher to raise his bid).

Sometimes it is all over in a week, but usually two or three weeks is more likely nowadays. Editors typically have to "sell" their favored books to a committee that decides which books will get offers, and this alone can take an extra week or two. Sometimes a publisher has already seen the manuscript, and may make a "pre-emptive" bid. Often this may be the publisher who made the original offer, but increases it this time to take it out of auction. This type of bid usually comes early, and it is made with the proviso that the agent cannot entertain other bids, basically the offer has to be accepted immediately. The offer is usually set high enough to make it attractive to sign with the publisher without waiting for other bids.

Powerhouse auction situations (where multiple six or even seven figure offers are made) are usually - but not always - when the author has previously published and has a good track record of sales. Maybe he/she has defected from his/her previous publisher. In this situation, it's a lot easier for a publisher to evaluate the commercial potential. You won't usually see this situation with an unpublished author, though it does happen from time to time.

Often publishers may opt out of making a specific dollar offer in auction, but may make an "expression of interest." This often means that they don't want to bid against other publishers (some of them hate the auction process, others make decisions too slowly to accommodate it), but are interested in making an offer if the agent is not satisfied with the results of the auction and the manuscript remains available.

Auctions can be great, or they can be not so great. And keep in mind that the size of the advance isn't the only important factor. For example, also critical is whom you would land as an editor. It may be better to take a slightly lower advance and be working with a renowned editor than to take a slightly higher one and end up under a no-talent despot who will massacre your work before it hits the shelves. Your agent should make decisions taking various factors into consideration.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
dantem, that was a very informative and concise explanation, and I for one appreciate that. I'm only unclear on one point. I've never heard of an agent submitting a partial after the okay on the query/snopsis. Usually editors know that the entire manuscript has been vetted so it usually goes from a query/synopsis (or phone call) to a full copy mailing. I could be wrong on this. I would certainly be disapointed if my agent sent out partials. Unless the editor specifically requested only a partial--I could see it in that case.

Thanks

Tri

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
dantem42 said:
There are various processes. In my case, I am in a "long" auction. None of the publishers asked to see the manuscript, it's based on my agent's pitch to them. If they indicate interest in the "premise" of the novel (in my case, hopefully the most original serial killer novel to come along in years), then my agent puts them on the list.
Meaning no disrespect, but I'm an editor at a trade house, and what you're describing here is nothing like auctions as I know them.

I'm also startled by the idea that an editor or publisher would enter an auction for a work of fiction without seeing the manuscript, unless it was for a book by an established fiction writer. Are you familiar with Watt-Evans' Law and Feist's Corollary? They say that there's no idea so old, tired, and hackneyed that a competent writer can't make a passable piece of work out of it; and that there's no idea so transplendently brilliant that an inept writer can't screw it up. Ideas matter, but execution matters more.

This is why some fiction publishers' submission guidelines say "skip the queries, just send us three chapters." It's also why many houses won't buy an unfinished book from a first-time novelist. The idea may be promising and the first three chapters lively as all get-out, but they want to see whether the author has what it takes to develop and finish the novel in a satisfactory fashion. It's quite common for otherwise well-written novels to fall apart in the last chapter or three. It's also not unheard-of for writers who only have nonfiction, comics, poetry, or short story credentials to have trouble when they try to switch over to writing novels.

I don't know your background, but I'm under the impression that this is your first novel you're talking about. If so, this is a very strange scenario.
After the manuscripts are submitted, some publishers probably read the first fifty pages, it isn't what they were looking for and they pass out of hand. Others will take a week or two or three or four.
That's not an auction. That's an agent doing simultaneous submissions to multiple houses. The process may end in an auction, but it may also end with one of the publishers making what the agent feels is a satisfactory offer. He or she may make a last round of phone calls to the other editors, just in case one or more of them are on the verge of making a superior offer, but even then it doesn't necessarily become a formal auction.
The target date to end the auction is something of a paper tiger -- it can be extended at will.
It cannot be extended at will, at least not if one of the houses has the floor plus topping privileges. Once they've exercised their topping privilege (or declined to do so), the auction is over. Or should be over. If it isn't over, the agent doesn't know what he or she is doing, and the house that had the floor is going to be seriously ticked off.
An additional complication in my case is that I have agreed to do a complete revision and resubmission for one publisher. So there will be even more than one manuscript version floating around.
My goodness. If you've agreed to do a complete revision and resubmission for one publisher, that definitely isn't an auction. (Just curious: are you doing that revision on spec? Is just the one publisher seeing it?)
In a more traditional auction, the manuscript has been circulating in the publishing community, maybe in full, maybe in excerpt.
Again, if it's not an established author, an excerpt isn't enough -- unless you're talking extremely topical nonfiction with nondisclosure agreements all round, which you aren't.
The agent selects a certain number of publishers who have evinced interest and asks for bids. Sometimes the agent will get one offer, and then go out to auction if he thinks the offer is not high enough. The agent may, or may not, inform other publishers of a bid amount to try to obtain a higher bid (note, this was the subject of a major scandal involving agent Natasha Kern, who created a fictitious bid to get a publisher to raise his bid).
Here's the way a classic auction works: the agent sends the manuscript out to howevermany publishing houses the agent thinks appropriate. If enough of them express interest, the agent tells them that it's going to auction.

Usually, at that point, one of the houses will ask for the floor plus topping privileges. This means they volunteer to be the first bidder to put up an actual dollar amount, instead of hanging back to see what the others will do. In return, they get the privilege of topping the highest final offer, usually by 10%. That is: when all the other bidders have finished bidding, the agent takes the highest bid to the house that has the floor, and gives them the option of buying the book for the price that other house bid plus ten percent. They don't have to exercise that privilege, but when the agent comes to them to ask whether they want to do so, the auction is definitely over. The agent can't take that highest+10% bid around to the other bidders, say "look what so-and-so thinks it's worth" in an effort to provoke another round of bidding.

Auctions can be complicated. You can have one house offering a slightly higher amount for the original book plus a guaranteed dollar amount for the promo budget, while another house is offering a higher total figure for three books that works out to less per book, but implies more long-term commitment from the house. Other factors can be brought in. Things can get downright exciting.
Sometimes it is all over in a week, but usually two or three weeks is more likely nowadays.
I assume, unless I'm told otherwise, that an auction is going to run for a few days at most.
Editors typically have to "sell" their favored books to a committee that decides which books will get offers, and this alone can take an extra week or two. Sometimes a publisher has already seen the manuscript, and may make a "pre-emptive" bid.
No. I'm sorry, but no. Unless you're talking about an established author, one whose work is known to the bidders, fiction publishers don't buy books without seeing the manuscript; and if it's an established author, the only reason for not seeing the manuscript is if the author hasn't written it yet.

If you've got a red-hot book, the agent may send manuscripts to editors and tell them they only have a day or two to read the book and get their offers lined up; and if the book is hot enough, the editors and publishers will do it. Most editors can read very fast indeed, if they have to.

But no way are you going to get a weeks-long process of bidding and counter-bidding on an unknown book, with money on the line, when a couple of nights' reading could tell the participants whether or not they actually want the thing.
Often this may be the publisher who made the original offer, but increases it this time to take it out of auction. This type of bid usually comes early, and it is made with the proviso that the agent cannot entertain other bids, basically the offer has to be accepted immediately.
A preemptive bid happens at the start of the process. The agent brings the manuscript to the editor or publisher, and tells them it's going to go to auction. They read it and decide they like it a lot. They go back to the agent and say, "We'll bid this extremely attractive amount if you'll sell us the book right now." As I understand it, a preemptive bid is only good if there's no auction to follow. If the agent decides to go to auction anyway, the preemptive bid is void, though that house may decide to participate in the auction anyway via more conventional bids.
The offer is usually set high enough to make it attractive to sign with the publisher without waiting for other bids.
If the agent doesn't take other bids, it's not an auction.
Powerhouse auction situations (where multiple six or even seven figure offers are made) are usually - but not always - when the author has previously published and has a good track record of sales. Maybe he/she has defected from his/her previous publisher. In this situation, it's a lot easier for a publisher to evaluate the commercial potential. You won't usually see this situation with an unpublished author, though it does happen from time to time.
True. What you will not see: an auction for a work of fiction by an unpublished author when the participants haven't read the manuscript. Well, not unless the work of fiction is supposedly being written by a major celebrity -- in which case you're buying the name, not the book.
Often publishers may opt out of making a specific dollar offer in auction, but may make an "expression of interest." This often means that they don't want to bid against other publishers (some of them hate the auction process, others make decisions too slowly to accommodate it), but are interested in making an offer if the agent is not satisfied with the results of the auction and the manuscript remains available.
No. Absolutely not. Auctions are about dollar amounts (plus other valuable considerations; see above). Expressions of interest may precede an auction, but they are not part of the auction process. And if an agent were to take a book to auction, then withdraw it after the highest bids were in -- well, that would be a scandal!

If the initial bids weren't enough to buy the book, the agent should have said so at the time. Accepting a bid is accepting a bid. And to accept bids, then take further rounds of higher bids (also accepted, of course), and only at the end say that none of the bids are acceptable, is either outright dishonesty or outright incompetence or both. Everyone would be furious.

Participating in an auction takes a lot of work. The editor or publisher has to read the book, decide they want it, run up some sample P&Ls to show the rest of the house, figure out how much they're willing to bid, and get howevermany approvals are required by their organization. Then they have to do it all over again, if (as often happens) the initial offer mutates into a hard/soft or a multi-book deal. Running a fake auction would be a huge waste of time for a lot of people who don't have time to spare.
Auctions can be great, or they can be not so great. And keep in mind that the size of the advance isn't the only important factor. For example, also critical is whom you would land as an editor. It may be better to take a slightly lower advance and be working with a renowned editor than to take a slightly higher one and end up under a no-talent despot who will massacre your work before it hits the shelves.
The commonest thing no-talent editors do is fail to edit when editing is needed.
Your agent should make decisions taking various factors into consideration.
Look, I don't want to say anything unkind about you or your agent, but at least one of you is badly confused about how auctions work. Here's hoping that you're the one who's confused, and that your manuscript is in good hands.

Crow

Thank you all for your kind replies to my questions.I am learning quite a bit from these forums, and especially appreciate that each of you took the time to read my question and respond. I want to be prepared!

I have completed my manuscript, and the entire thing was sent to the interested parties a little over a week ago. I realize that the damn thing needs to be read, but I am still (sigh) anxiously waiting for some kind of response. I will post an update when something happens. I welcome any more thoughts/ideas/experiences as well.

Crow

Crow

After reading these replies again, I have another question:

If my manuscript is auctioned, and a particular offer is the highest, am I obligated to accept that offer? I think the answer is probably no, that there may be other factors I can weigh in my decision outside of price, but to be honest, I am not sure.

Thank you,

Crow

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Crow said:
After reading these replies again, I have another question:

If my manuscript is auctioned, and a particular offer is the highest, am I obligated to accept that offer? I think the answer is probably no, that there may be other factors I can weigh in my decision outside of price, but to be honest, I am not sure.
I think you're obliged.

If you aren't an experienced agent, I really don't think you ought to be running an auction at all. If there's that much interest, you can get an agent.

Crow

As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, I am just a blogger who wrote a novel. I'm not an agent. I have an agent, and she is the one orchestrating all of this. I had some media attention, and that is where the editors interested came into play. I'm so new to this. I didn't spend years thinking about writing novels. I'm just trying to understand the process.

Cheers,
Crow

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
It's okay to tell us who your agent is.

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
for crow

hey girl, I wish I had your problem. imagine going from a blog as therapy to being wooed by editors AND having an agent who cares and supports you. MUCH GOOD LUCK. MAY THE BIDDING GO THROUGH THE ROOF!!

rchastain

Registered
Reaction score
In regard to the auction discussion above—from other threads I know that dantem42’s agent is both reputable and experienced. By the standards set here on AW and other writers’ sites, his manuscript is in very good hands.

This seems to be a difference of opinion about the use of the word “auction”. From the start dantem has described his agent’s approach as a “loose” and “long” auction. As I read it, he’s not suggesting that any publisher would offer money without going through the complete manuscript, just that some might pass before doing so—also that someone who has in fact read the whole thing might choose to make a preemptive offer. It seems his agent is making multiple submissions with the hope of getting some competitive bidding started, thus generating an auction situation. Seems reasonable.

I do appreciate the description of a classic auction—it’s full of details I’ve never before known.

RC

Crow

Hapi-soft, I'm keeping my details quiet while all of this occurs. God Bless Internet Anonymity! I don't want to jeopardize any potential deals.

A few small things have happened since I last posted, and I will post about it soon. Once all is said and done, I will post the identity of my agent as well as myself and write a long post for this forum about the entire process. I have been reading the incredible archives here and have learned that there are many roads to Rome, and no two deals are alike or even happen alike.

Chicagogal, thank you! I am so nervous and excited!I wish for much success in your life, too. Blogging is still therapy for me! And I'm still broke and wistful and hopeful that the book will sell for enough that I don't have to scrounge the sofa for loose change for my boys' milk. Heck, while I'm wishing, I would also like a cute, smart and funny boyfriend, too. :tongue

rchastain, thank you so kindly for posting your thoughts. I have been reading dantem42's other threads as well, and I wish him success in his writing journey, as well. I am grateful that you are sharing your experience with me. I am so green that virtually every piece of information is new to me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Crow

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
HapiSofi said:
This is why some fiction publishers' submission guidelines say "skip the queries, just send us three chapters." It's also why many houses won't buy an unfinished book from a first-time novelist. .

Unless your name is Kaavya Viswanathan.

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and look what happened there!

punstress

Registered
Reaction score
auction procedure

That was a lot of great information from Hapi ... thanks.

It led me to wonder how this is all taking place. By e-mail? Phone? Fax? Some other way? I imagine these offers have to be in writing. Do all the bidders know what else is being bid, and if so, how does that get communicated? Seems an open process would discourage the kind of "shilling" that was mentioned.