PDA

View Full Version : Hugo Awards 2016 [Nomination List at Post 77]

ULTRAGOTHA
01-08-2016, 05:13 AM
Attending, Young Adult, Military or Supporting members of Sasquan may nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards.

As can people with equivalent memberships to MidAmeriCon II (http://midamericon2.org/registration/) or WorldCon 75 (http://www.worldcon.fi/memberships/), provided the membership is purchased by 11:59 PST January 31, 2016 .

If you want to nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards and don't yet have a membership, you've got ~3 weeks to purchase one.

ULTRAGOTHA
01-28-2016, 03:51 AM
Reminder--You've got four days to purchase a membership if you want to nominate this year.

I was thinking Nominations would already have opened by now. I'm assuming Any Day Now. Cross your fingers.

PeteMC
01-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Remind me how this works - I bought a membership for last year just so I could smack the puppy on the nose, does that mean I get to nominate this year or not?

ULTRAGOTHA
01-28-2016, 04:50 AM
If you had a membership to Sasquan, YES you can nominate this year. Did you get an e-mail from MidAmeriCon 2 last week? I did. It was sort of a 'head's up' e-mail. It did not contain a PIN. I presume it would have been sent to the e-mail address you gave Sasquan.

Nominations ought to open Any Time Now and will close on March 31, 2016 (per the last progress report).

Please be aware that if you have a membership for Sasquan or WorldCon 75, and NOT MidAmeriCon 2, you won't be able to VOTE in the Hugos (though, again, you CAN nominate). You must have a membership for MidAmeriCon 2 itself in order to vote on the final ballot.

I hope every eligible person will nominate their favorite works.

(I am not a spokesperson for any WorldCon, just an interested and informed fan.)

Laer Carroll
01-28-2016, 06:38 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I for one, however, have never cared about the Hugos or any of the other award shows. Fun for a few, boring for most fans I suspect. They don't even have much economic significance from what I can tell. Goodreads is more useful to me for finding fun books to read. The Hugos, not.

AW Admin
01-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I for one, however, have never cared about the Hugos or any of the other award shows. Fun for a few, boring for most fans I suspect. They don't even have much economic significance from what I can tell. Goodreads is more useful to me for finding fun books to read. The Hugos, not.

For the authors who win or are even nominated for Hugos, they have tremendous value.

For one thing, it pretty much guarantees an additional print run.

Consider: Just about every public library will buy the books that are nominated for a Hugo, including the various anthologies containing novellas and shorts.

zanzjan
01-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Also, Laer, I know a lot of fans who care about Hugos & other awards, if not specifically than in the larger sense of seeing authors they like recognized. Whether or not you personally care, there's really no call to be dismissive about it, and weighing in on a thread just to say "I don't care about this" is not a good use of anyone's time.

ULTRAGOTHA
01-28-2016, 08:41 AM
It's also very disrespectful of those who do care. There are THOUSANDS if threads here in AW I don't care about. But I respect all those who do. I don't wade in telling them how boring and insignificant I find them. I just don't read them.

It's not like I tricked you into clicking on a Hugo thread unaware. The subject matter is clear in the title.

As to your other point that AW Admin has addressed:

UNNAMMED SF NOVEL
Advance: $20,000
Earned out: We’ll see
You can see the advances there looking pretty grim after the 2008 publishing crash. Prior to the crash, there were a lot more people getting $20k advances and saying, “Hey, yeah, that’s OK,” instead of “Thank GOD.” They became harder to get after 2008.
If you want to know what magical thing happened between MIRROR EMPIRE and THE STARS ARE LEGION to finally get me to what most folks in the industry used to consider a solid mid-lister advance, it’s one word:
Hugos
So when people tell me that Hugos don’t matter, awards don’t matter, and promotion don’t matter, you can imagine the $13,000 face I make. (http://www.kameronhurley.com/what-i-get-paid-for-my-novels-or-why-im-not-quitting-my-day-job/)

PeteMC
01-28-2016, 01:02 PM
If you had a membership to Sasquan, YES you can nominate this year. Did you get an e-mail from MidAmeriCon 2 last week? I did. It was sort of a 'head's up' e-mail. It did not contain a PIN. I presume it would have been sent to the e-mail address you gave Sasquan.

Nominations ought to open Any Time Now and will close on March 31, 2016 (per the last progress report).

Great, thank you. I'll definitely be nominating then, not sure if I'll buy another membership this year or not yet. I have no chance of attending but if noses need to be smacked again this year I may well buy a supporting just to vote again.

And I love that Kameron Hurley quote, it's great how open she is about this sort of thing.

ULTRAGOTHA
01-29-2016, 12:48 AM
Well, well, well. Lookie there!

Hugo nominations are open (http://file770.com/?p=27292).

Nomination page is here (http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/).

They emphasize that the PINs are being e-mailed out in batches and to please wait until Feb 5 before asking what your PIN is.

However, if you received the last MAC2 progress report, your PIN was printed on the envelope (or, at least mine was). You can nominate now if you wish, and if you remember where you put that envelope.

PeteMC
01-29-2016, 01:11 AM
Excellent, thank you! Eagerly awaiting my PIN now :)

Laer Carroll
01-31-2016, 02:02 AM
One feature of nominating and voting online that I recently discovered is that you can update your ballot until midnight of the deadline, the last day in March. So if you come across a work you like better than what you entered, or want to add something to what you entered, you can edit your ballot to reflect your more complete knowledge. So you can feel free to participate early, since you're not stuck with your first attempt.

Helix
01-31-2016, 05:56 AM
One feature of nominating and voting online that I recently discovered is that you can update your ballot until midnight of the deadline, the last day in March. So if you come across a work you like better than what you entered, or want to add something to what you entered, you can edit your ballot to reflect your more complete knowledge. So you can feel free to participate early, since you're not stuck with your first attempt.

*cups hands under chin*

Tell me more.

ULTRAGOTHA
01-31-2016, 06:36 AM
I am alerted by Twitter that the cost of an Attending membership to WorldCon 75 in Helsinki next year goes up 25 Euro on February 1, 2016.

If you're planning to attend, and buy your membership by tomorrow, you can both nominate for the Hugo Awards this year AND save 25 Euro.

Roxxsmom
01-31-2016, 07:35 AM
Glad they're mailing them. I know I saved the e-mail with the hugo pin from last year, but I wasn't sure if it would be the same this time (it has SQ in the number).

Laer Carroll
01-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Tell me more [about updating your nominations].

I searched through several web sites to find confirmation of the updating process. The only mention of it I could find is John Scalzi's blog. I presume his assertion is true, but I could find no official confirmation.

Here again is the link to the MidAmeriCon II Hugo nomination web page. Following it is the link to the Hugo organization site.

http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/
http://www.thehugoawards.org/

I've already combed both, but you may have better luck. I also sent an email to the MidAmeriCon award admin asking about this & will report back when I get an answer.

Kweei
02-01-2016, 01:26 AM
So, if I bought membership last year, I should be able to nominate? Or just vote? I think I am having a reading fail because I keep getting confused.

ULTRAGOTHA
02-01-2016, 01:49 AM
I also sent an email to the MidAmeriCon award admin asking about this & will report back when I get an answer.

Um. Yes, the nomination page works the same this year as it did last year and the year before. You enter as many or as few nominations as you wish, click on the "Submit Ballot" button and that saves all the data currently on the form. If you change the data on the form and click "Submit Ballot" again, all the new data is saved. You can do this continuously right up until 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday March 31, 2016.

ULTRAGOTHA
02-01-2016, 01:52 AM
So, if I bought membership last year, I should be able to nominate? Or just vote? I think I am having a reading fail because I keep getting confused.

If you were an Attending, Young Adult, Military or Supporting member of Sasquan in 2015 then you may nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards.

You won't be able to vote in the finals unless you are *also* a member of MidAmeriCon II. But you can Nominate. Nooooominate >stares into everyone's eyes< Noooooooominate your favorite stuff. Go to the window....

MAC2 is sending PINs to all eligible nominators between now and February 5th.

Laer Carroll
02-01-2016, 11:21 PM
If you change the data on the form and click "Submit Ballot" again, all the new data is saved. You can do this continuously right up until 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday March 31, 2016.

This morning I received an email from Dave McCarty, the Hugo Administrator for MidAmeriCon II. He confirms that your understanding and that of John Scalzi is true. I was pretty sure of that, but it's good to have official confirmation.

zanzjan
02-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Given that a bunch of us have already stated that we have actively done this in the past and present, I'm not sure why this needed "official confirmation".

Laer Carroll
02-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Given that a bunch of us have already stated that we have actively done this in the past and present, I'm not sure why this needed "official confirmation".
Memories can fade or go wonky. Even if they don't what worked last year or the year before may not this year.

Helix
02-02-2016, 05:28 AM
Memories can fade or go wonky.

The hormones? Is it the hormones? It's the hormones, isn't it?

Even if they don't what worked last year or the year before may not this year.

If only there were some way we could find out this information ourselves through electronic means.

zanzjan
02-02-2016, 05:55 AM
The hormones? Is it the hormones? It's the hormones, isn't it?

Well, yanno, female hysteria an' all that. I mean, I am clearly imagining my very large number of bookshelves filled with plenty of SF by women who aren't named Bujold and the fact that I've already saved my nomination ballot more than once this year. In fact maybe even this thread doesn't exist and is just a very very bad mental manifestation of cramps.

Probably we should all go lie down and see if it passes.

zanzjan
02-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Ok, seriously now.

This thread is about procedural things related to voting in the Hugos. It is not a thread about whether the Hugos are worthwhile, nor do we need an expert to verify every bit of information other people have already provided. If you spot a factual error or see a legitimate need for clarification, that's fine.

Add new info, links to resources, etc., or engage in relevant discussion with respect and as a peer, or you'll be asked to step out of the thread.

ULTRAGOTHA
02-02-2016, 06:32 AM
I reiterate my love for Renay's Hugo Spreadsheet of Doom (http://bit.ly/hugoaward2016). It's still updateable. If something you like isn't there, you can add it!

ULTRAGOTHA
02-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Update on Hugo Pins from the MAC2 web site (http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/).

Hugo Nominations!
Update: PIN emails have taken longer than anticipated. All PINs should be emailed out by Feb. 8!

To nominate you will need your Hugo PIN number (located on your Progress Report 2 envelope or via email from us) and your membership number. Hugo PINs are being emailed out between January 27 – February 5, 2016 to people who elected for electronic publications and are members of the eligible Worldcons. Pins from last year’s Sasquan have been invalidated and will not work with this process.

If you have not received your Hugo PIN by February 5, 2016 please email hugopin@midamericon2.org

Nominations will close on March 31, 2016.

I also note that the Writertopia site that lists authors eligible for the Campbell Award for Best New Writer (not a Hugo) is not up to date. Several authors on Twitter, including Sunil Patel, were saying the other day they'd e-mailed and asked to be added but it hadn't happened yet. So seek out those new writers!

Roxxsmom
02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Probably we should all go lie down and see if it passes.

Where's the "swooning couch" subforum? I need to loosen my corset.

This list has some nice SF and F from 2015 on it, including short fiction and some debuts that are likely to be eligible for Campbell awards.

http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/02/2015-locus-recommended-reading-list/

I'm finding that many of these lists contain books I've not read and haven't even heard of. Not a problem as the point of lists is to get ideas and find new authors. Some look more like my kind of thing than others, which is fine too, but it's hard when I'm so often playing catch up with books and series that were published or started years ago.

Now, if I were a fast reader, I could down a couple dozen before the nominations are due and see which ones I liked best, but I'm way too slow. And another issue is that if I want to read a book on one of those suggested lists, but I've never read the author before, I need to go back and read their earlier work so I can get to the book that's eligible this year.

I think I have a problem, though: I don't read enough of the right kind of SF and F for the most part. Some of my favorite authors have never won a Hugo, and I assume there's a reason (I love both Bujold's and Hobb's epic fantasies, for instance, but I can't figure out why Bujold's are so much better as far as most worldcon readers are concerned). But I have a lot of trouble figuring out what the criteria that I should be looking for in order to assign Hugo worthiness (aside from the obvious--did I love it and was it published in 2015).

zanzjan
02-06-2016, 09:15 AM
This is my personal take on it:

There are more Hugo-worthy stories out there than any of us can possibly read in a given year, so it is virtually impossible for any one individual to find the five absolute best of anything, much less across all categories. So, the only really reasonable and functional strategy as an individual, that keeps to the spirit of the Hugos, is to just nominate those things you personally thought were good enough to be Hugo-worthy. If there were less than five, nominate less than five. If there were more, pick the best of the best. There is no right or wrong, but collectively if we all vote that way and not feel unworthy to nominate because of what or how much we read, something that is truly exceptional should -- in a perfect world, anyway -- rise to the top. Of course it doesn't always work that way, and yeah, there are a handful of authors who could crap on a triscuit and someone would nominate it anyway and tolerate no critical word spoken about it, but every year* there are a handful of works that come out of nowhere and really make up for the lapses. That can only get better as more people participate*.

*asterisk for obvious historical failures of integrity.

Roxxsmom
02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
This is my basic take on it too. Maybe I'm just venting my frustration with my increasing inability to keep up with my old favorites, let alone all the interesting-looking new stuff that's out there. Plus my own sense of "duoh," when I discover something that's several years old but new to me.

I know I'm not alone, because I linked that Locus list on a fantasy site a while back, and nearly everyone who commented said something along the lines of, "I only recognized three of those," or "I've only even heard of five of those writers."

I think it's pretty common for fantasy and SF readers who aren't the sort to go to cons and so on to fall into a, maybe rut isn't the right word, but habit of reading certain favorites and assuming those subgenres and writers are all that's out there. It's why so many of the same old titles (http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2015/08/i-read-100-best-fantasy-and-sci-fi-novels-and-they-were-shockingly-offensive) end up on "best SF and F (http://www.listchallenges.com/reddits-top-105-fantasy-novelsseries-of-all-time) of all time lists (http://www.theguardian.com/books/table/2011/may/26/best-science-fiction-books-recommendations)" each year.

I agree that the more people who get involved, a broader cross section of SF and F we're likely to see.

zanzjan
02-07-2016, 06:33 AM
This is my basic take on it too. Maybe I'm just venting my frustration with my increasing inability to keep up with my old favorites, let alone all the interesting-looking new stuff that's out there. Plus my own sense of "duoh," when I discover something that's several years old but new to me.

Yeah.

Part of it is I think there's just so many stories out there now, and many are so much more accessible (with online mags, ebooks, etc.) than they used to be. I rely so heavily on word of mouth and friend recs, but also try really hard to expand my own intake to include diverse sources and voices, and it's like bailing out the boat with a teacup in a rainstorm. The other part, for me, is I took up this silly writing hobby and it comes straight out of reading time. I am eternally at war with myself over whether that was a wise trade.

I suppose I ought to start this year's AWer eligible works thread, speaking of which.

Roxxsmom
02-07-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a question: how do you find out who the editor is for a particular book? I guess that's one category I have little understanding of how to figure out who to nominate there. I guess I need to find out who has edited some books I think are exceptional that came out this year?

The thing is, I have no before and after to compare, so I don't know how much of a book's polish and quality come from the author and how much the editor's developmental skills came into it (I assume the editor award is for developmental editors, not line editors). Or is it for acquisition editors?

Alessandra Kelley
02-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Still no PIN. :Shrug:

lizmonster
02-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Still no PIN. :Shrug:

They're now saying they'll all be mailed by the 8th. (http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/)

Etiquette question: if you nominate someone for a Campbell, should you not separately nominate their work for a Hugo? Is it an either/or thing?

ULTRAGOTHA
02-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Twitter says PIN e-mails are being sent if you ask them to re-send you one.

No, it's not either/or. If you think the story is Hugo-worthy and the author is Campbell-worthy, nominate both. The Campbell is (say it together) Not A Hugo. They are two separate awards that just happen to be on the same ballot.

Roxxsmom
02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Also, I believe the Campbell is for a particular author, isn't it, not a particular novel or story by that author? I take that to mean you can consider all a new writer's stories and novels (if there are more than one in the qualifying period), not necessarily one particular work (of course an excellent novel or short story by a newly published writer that is in of itself Hugo worthy would likely make me want to nominate or vote for that person for the Campbell).

But the point is, the Campbell is not the same as a Hugo for a particular work, and there's no rule against someone winning both.

PeteMC
02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Still no PIN here, guess I need to chase someone.

Helix
02-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Still no PIN here, guess I need to chase someone.

Nor here. I sent an email to nudge them along.

zanzjan
02-09-2016, 09:51 PM
FWIW, MidAmeriCon announced on twitter that folks who didn't get their PINs should email hugopin at midamericon2.org

Near as I can tell (my own experience, what I've seen on twitter) they're responding very quickly.

Jo Zebedee
02-09-2016, 09:58 PM
I don't know if they were done separately or together, but I got a nom (for Inish Carraig) for the Hugos (swoon, faint, smelling salts etc) and am also listed on the Campbell award now. Which, for less than a year on the market, is a fabulous surprise. :)

zanzjan
02-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Jo, you already posted that over in the Awards Eligible Thread. This thread is about the Hugo awards nom/voting process and ceremony, *not* individual plugs.

MacAllister
02-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Hmm, come to think of it, I don't think *I* have a PIN yet, either. I'll have to go and look through my inbox!

Jo Zebedee
02-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Jo, you already posted that over in the Awards Eligible Thread. This thread is about the Hugo awards nom/voting process and ceremony, *not* individual plugs.

Hi, sorry, wasn't supposed to be a plug but a direct response to whether or not Hugos and Campbells where coming through on the same nom - in my experience they did. Apologies if that wasn't clear. (Hence why there was no link of any sort.)

JohnstonMR
02-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I got my PIN, but it didn't work. When I contacted them, it appears there is a duplicate PIN, so the system won't accept the one they gave me. Hopefully they get it worked out soon.

zanzjan
02-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Hi, sorry, wasn't supposed to be a plug but a direct response to whether or not Hugos and Campbells where coming through on the same nom - in my experience they did. Apologies if that wasn't clear. (Hence why there was no link of any sort.)

Sorry, misunderstood.

Right now nominations for both are open, via the voting mechanisms listed above. Although they are given out at the same ceremony, the Campbell is NOT a Hugo. There are a number of running lists in various places on the internet of recommended works for the Hugo (which is work-centric) and there are also places that keep lists of who is eligible for the Campbell (which is writer-centric), Writertopia being the big one but which may not be being reliably/frequently updated.

Sometime after nominations close (on March 31st) a list of actual nominees for both Hugos and the Campbell will be announced.

Nebula nominations close on Feb. 15th, but you need to be a member of SFWA to nominate.

lizmonster
02-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the Campbell, folks. I was aware it's for a novelist and not a specific work, but I didn't want to have my whole ballot tossed out if I did something wrong. :)

One thing I do know is I didn't read nearly enough last year!

Roxxsmom
02-10-2016, 02:23 AM
I didn't get mine either, so I sent a nudge. Odd they're missing so many of us.

Me too. And I rarely read brand new books the year they come out unless they're by a writer I've been reading for years or a book is a much-anticipated installation in a series I've been following. I tend to discover new writers after their books have been out for a while. This is a habit I've been trying to change since I've become more serious about my writing, but OMG there are a lot of books to read, even if I just went off one particular recommended list.

PeteMC
02-10-2016, 02:36 AM

Tell me about it - I'm chastened to say I haven't even heard of half the things on some of the Hugo recommendations pages I've looked at.

Roxxsmom
02-10-2016, 02:55 AM
Tell me about it - I'm chastened to say I haven't even heard of half the things on some of the Hugo recommendations pages I've looked at.

Me neither. And some of the books and authors are ones I don't tend to think of as SF or F (like Stephen King), though there's no rule that says an author has to stick with one genre or be published by a genre-specific imprint to count as SF and F.

I'll admit that I tend to be a bit disappointed when a novel written by a more mainstream writer (even one I love like Margaret Atwood) wins a big SF/F award. Those guys get to be taken seriously by literary critics outside SF and F circles, be on the biggest bestseller lists, and are considered for all those non-genre-specific literary awards. Let the genre folks have their day.

Of course, it's an unworthy thought on my part (and if taken too far, ends up being in the same boat as the arguments of certain juvenile canines about which titles and imprints within the genre are "real" SF and F). If the majority of World Con members in a given year want to nominate books published by imprints like William Morrow or Anchor that are usually shelved in the general fiction section (or displayed out by the checkout stand) in bookstores instead of nominating books published by imprints like Tor and Orbit that are tucked away in the SF and F section, then that's their right.

Tamlyn
02-10-2016, 03:53 AM
What info do you need to send to get your PIN? I've not received mine so I emailed as asked, but that was two days ago. Given the quick response elsewhere, I'm wondering if I didn't include something I should have.

I didn't get anywhere near as much reading done as I wanted to last year (this has... been my refrain for about ten years now). But I read some stuff I definitely consider Hugo worthy so I'll just nominate those even if other categories are a little lacking.

zanzjan
02-10-2016, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the Campbell, folks. I was aware it's for a novelist and not a specific work, but I didn't want to have my whole ballot tossed out if I did something wrong.

It's not restricted to novelist; short fiction writers are also eligible. The limitation is that you're only eligible for two years after your first pro publication.

Also, they don't toss ballots for bad entries. If it's a misplaced category and they know it I think they try to shift it to the right category if you have the empty slots, otherwise they just disregard that nom. Or at least, that's my understanding. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

*waves from the gigantic table of Party of Everyone* We saved a seat for ya. :)

zanzjan
02-10-2016, 04:01 AM
What info do you need to send to get your PIN? I've not received mine so I emailed as asked, but that was two days ago. Given the quick response elsewhere, I'm wondering if I didn't include something I should have.

I sent my Sasquan membership number and the email address I'd been registered with the con from.

Roxxsmom
02-10-2016, 05:23 AM

I didn't get anywhere near as much reading done as I wanted to last year (this has... been my refrain for about ten years now). But I read some stuff I definitely consider Hugo worthy so I'll just nominate those even if other categories are a little lacking.

I dug my membership number for sasquan out, but I haven't heard back yet.

Edit--they came through with it, and it works.

Tamlyn
02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
I got an email pretty much immediately on posting. Obviously the universe just needed a slight jostle :)

Helix
02-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Received my PIN and it worked on the second go. Woo hoo!

Roxxsmom
02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
I had to try twice before it worked too. I copy pasted it from the e-mail, so I know I didn't enter it wrong. Odd.

PeteMC
02-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Got mine as well now, and that's with me having lost my Sasquan membership number - they were helpful enough to find me from my email address.

ULTRAGOTHA
02-26-2016, 05:16 AM
MidAmeriCon II has evidently re-sent PIN letters today. I hope everyone got theirs!

ULTRAGOTHA
03-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Hugo Nominations close at the end of March. Warning, only 27 days left!

slhuang
03-05-2016, 07:51 AM
I just posted the update for this in its own thread, and I know the Campbell is not-a-Hugo, but I hope it's okay if I drop a link here for those following this thread --

We put together an anthology of 2016's Campbell-eligible authors! (At least, as many as we could get!) It has 120 authors and over a million words of fiction, all FREEEEEEEEEEE for you and your nominating and/or reading purposes:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?316135-UP-amp-COMING-Over-a-million-words-of-speculative-fiction-FREE!-By-2016-s-Campbell-eligible-authors!

Roxxsmom
03-15-2016, 07:45 AM
I had a weird noobish question about hugo nominations, and I don't know if this is the right place or not, but I don't know where else to ask.

Is there a list of eligible fancasts, prozines, semiprozines? Because I'm a bit hazy about which ones fit which criteria (especially the paying staff part).

ULTRAGOTHA
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
You can try Renay's Hugo Spreadsheet of Doom. Or google for "Hugo >insert category here< 2016" and see what you get. There's also a Wiki out there somewhere.

Various people informally put together lists of what's eligible. The Hugo awards web site has a few in a sidebar on the right, but it's not a comprehensive list of what's out there.

There's also someone who's put together a loooooong set of lists for the 1940 retro Hugo awards. Check File 770 for that.

Also, FIFTEEN DAYS left to nominate. Contact "Hugopin@midamericon2.org" if you didn't get your PIN.

Roxxsmom
03-17-2016, 04:23 AM
Ah, I see now how the spreadsheet of doom has more stuff on it than I thought. I have to scroll over at the bottom to see all the tabs. Thanks.

Alessandra Kelley
03-25-2016, 04:32 AM
I just noticed my nomination ballot has some duplicates where I was not sure if a book was a novel or novella, or a magazine was a fanzine or a semiprozine, so I listed them in both categories.

Will this cause problems?

ULTRAGOTHA
03-25-2016, 05:05 AM
The WSFS constitution (http://www.wsfs.org/bm/const-2014.html) says:

Section 3.8: Tallying of Nominations.

3.8.1: Except as provided below, the final Award ballots shall list in each category the five eligible nominees receiving the most nominations. If there is a tie including fifth place, all the tied eligible nominees shall be listed.

3.8.2: The Worldcon Committee shall determine the eligibility of nominees and assignment to the proper category of works nominated in more than one category.

3.8.3: Any nominations for “No Award” shall be disregarded.

3.8.4: If a nominee appears on a nomination ballot more than once in any one category, only one nomination shall be counted in that category.

3.8.5: No nominee shall appear on the final Award ballot if it received fewer nominations than five percent (5%) of the number of ballots listing one or more nominations in that category, except that the first three eligible nominees, including any ties, shall always be listed.

3.8.6: The Committee shall move a nomination from another category to the work’s default category only if the member has made fewer than five (5) nominations in the default category.

3.8.7: If a work receives a nomination in its default category, and if the Committee relocates the work under its authority under subsection 3.2.9 or 3.2.10, the Committee shall count the nomination even if the member already has made five (5) nominations in the more-appropriate category.

Roxxsmom
03-25-2016, 08:53 AM
I just noticed my nomination ballot has some duplicates where I was not sure if a book was a novel or novella, or a magazine was a fanzine or a semiprozine, so I listed them in both categories.

Will this cause problems?

I've found the Spreadsheet of doom helpful in determining which length category a longer short story I've read is in (assuming the person nominating said work got it right, of course). I wish e-books made it possible to calculate word count, though.

ULTRAGOTHA
03-30-2016, 03:46 AM
Two days left. Deadline is THURSDAY.

zanzjan
04-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Word out today that DragonCon will be giving their own SFF awards (http://file770.com/?p=28330) starting this year. Open nomination/voting. Many categories, no short fic.

ULTRAGOTHA
04-26-2016, 04:32 AM
MidAmeriCon II will announce the finalists for the Hugo ballot TOMORROW via Twitter (https://twitter.com/MidAmeriCon2)and Facebook. It will be on their web site and no doubt File 770 (http://file770.com/)will cover it also.

Filigree
04-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Here we go again.

zanzjan
04-26-2016, 07:59 AM
*sighs, hopes for best*

AW Admin
04-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Meh.

I read a lot of really good stuff that was Hugo eligible.

So I've been reccing books and getting reccs, and that's always super.

In other words, while awards like the Hugo are important, never forget to tell people about books you read that you think they might like/find interesting.

In some ways, that's even more important than voting for awards.

zanzjan
04-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Oh, totally agreed.

I guess for me I'm just not sure I'm ready for another round of you-people-aren't-welcome-in-our-special-clubhouse drama and abuse that seems to go hand in hand with the Hugos the last few years. I just want to write stuff, and read stuff, and like people w/o having to wonder about "sides", and be able to convince myself that SFF is something we have in common again that's big enough for all of us and then some. Yanno, my usual naive crap I refuse to yield :)

AW Admin
04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Yanno, my usual naive crap I refuse to yield :)

Never give up!

Never surrender!

Good books will survive. We just need to help them.

Roxxsmom
04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
I understand that there were a record number of people nominating this year. Many will be people who signed up to vote last time, but there may be new people from all over the SFF spectrum. I'm hoping most of these are people who are nominating the stories they genuinely love and think are award worthy this year without slates, and everyone sees at least a couple candidates they really like under each category.

fistnik
04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
I understand that there were a record number of people nominating this year.

I suppose that the plus side of last year's fiasco is that awareness of the award has really exploded. People who hadn't even heard of the Hugos until last year will be voting now, and that must surely reflect in the diversity of the awards.

zanzjan
04-26-2016, 09:52 PM
Campbell (not a Hugo, 1922 ballots):
* Pierce Brown (2nd year)
* Sebastien de Castell (2nd year)
* Brian Niemeier
* Andy Weir (2nd year)
* Alyssa Wong (2nd year) (statement (http://crashwong.net/post/143533874133/toe-the-line-on-being-a-2016-john-w-campbell))

Best Fan Artist (1073 ballots):
* Matthew Callahan
* disse86
* Kukuruyo
* Christian Quinot
* Steve Stiles

Best Fan Writer (1568 ballots):
* Douglas Ernst
* Mike Glyer
* Morgan Holmes
* Jeffro Johnson
* Shamus Young

Best Fancast (1267 ballots):
* 8-4 Play
* Cane and Rinse
* HelloGreedo
* The Rageaholic
* Tales to Terrify

Best Fanzine (1455 ballots):
* Black Gate <-- has declined nomination (statement (https://www.blackgate.com/2016/05/01/black-gate-declines-hugo-nomination/)) replaced by:
* Lady Business (new)
* Castalia House Blog
* File770
* Superversive SF
* Tangent Online

Best Semiprozine (1457 ballots):
* Beneath Ceaseless Skies
* Daily Science Fiction
* Sci Phi Journal
* Strange Horizons
* Uncanny Magazine

Best Professional Artist (1481 ballots):
* Lars Braad Andersen
* Larry Elmore
* Abigail Larson
* Michael Karez
* Larry Rostant

Best Editor Long Form (1764 ballots):
* Vox Day
* Sheila E. Gilbert
* Liz Gorinsky
* Jim Minz
* Toni Weisskopf

Best Editor Short Form (1891 ballots):
* John Joseph Adams
* Neil Clarke
* Ellen Datlow
* Jerry Pournelle
* Sheila Williams

Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form (2219 ballots):
* Doctor Who: Heaven Sent
* Grimm: Headache
* Jessica Jones: aka Smile
* My Little Pony FIM: The Cutie Map
* Supernatural: Just My Imagination

Best Dramatic Presentation Long Form (2904 ballots):
* Avengers Age of Ultron
* Ex Machina
* Mad Max: Fury Road
* The Martian
* Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Graphic Story (1838 ballots):
* The Divine / Lavie, Hanuka, Hanuka
* Erin Dies Alone / Carter, Rydell
* Full Frontal Nudity / Williams
* Invisible Republic I / Beehko, Hardman
* The Sandman: Overture / Gaiman, Williams

Best Related Work (2080 ballots):
Between Light & Shadow: an Exploration of the Fiction of Gene Wolfe, 1951-1986, Marc Aramini (Castalia House)
"The First Draft of My Appendix N Book", Jeffro Johnson (jeffro.wordpress)
"Safe Spaces as Rape Room", Daniel Eness (Castalia House)
SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police, Vox Day (Castalia House)
"The Story of Moira Greyland", Moira Greyland (askthebigot)

Best Short Story (2451 ballots):
"Asymmetrical Warfare", S. R. Algernon (Nature, Mar 2015)
"The Commuter", Thomas A. Mays (Stealth) <-- declined nomination. replaced by:
"Cat Pictures Please", Naomi Kritzer (Clarksworld 1/15) (new)
"If You Were An Award, My Love", Juan Tabo, S. Harris (voxday.blogspot)
"Seven Kill Tiger", Charles Shao (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)
"Space Raptor Butt Invasion", Chuck Tingle (Amazon Digital Services)

Best Novelette (1975 ballots):
"And You Shall Know Her By the Trail of Dead", Brooke Bolander (Lightspeed, Feb 2015) (statement (http://brookebolander.com/?p=345))
"Flashpoint: Titan", CHEAH Kai Wai (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)
"Folding Beijing", Hao Jingfang, Ken Liu [translator] (Uncanny Magazine, Jan-Feb 2015)
"Obits", Stephen King (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, Scribner)
"What Price Humanity?", David VanDyke (There Will Be War Volume X, Castalia House)

Best Novella (2416 ballots):
Binti, Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com)
The Builders, Daniel Polansky (Tor.com) (statement (http://www.danielpolansky.com/rantings/2016/5/3/accepting-a-hugo-nomination))
Penric's Demon, Lois McMaster Bujold (Spectrum)
Perfect State, Brandon Sanderson (Dragonsteel Entertainment)
Slow Bullets, Alastair Reynolds (Tachyon)

Best Novel (3695 ballots):
Ancillary Mercy, Ann Leckie (Orbit)
The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass, Jim Butcher (Roc)
The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
Seveneves: A Novel, Neal Stephenson (Wm Morrow)
Uprooted, Naomi Novik (Del Rey)

---
via twitter from MidAmericonII. Will update with more attribution info (like what magazines stories appeared in?) when I find it. Otherwise presented without comment.

zanzjan
04-26-2016, 10:33 PM
And now, as your perfect metaphorical chaser, kittens on a slide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppbrYIcR80).

Alessandra Kelley
04-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Today's articles on the Hugo nominations and awards from the "Guardian":
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/26/the-hugo-awards-george-rr-martin-vox-day-and-alastair-reynolds-on-the-prizes-future

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/26/hugo-awards-shortlist-rightwing-campaign-sad-rabid-puppies

themindstream
04-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Article from John Scalzi along the lines of "a lot of these would have been nominated anyway": Link

(http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-john-scalzi-hugo-award-nominations-20160426-story.html)

Roxxsmom
04-27-2016, 01:11 AM
Interesting, though suggesting works by authors like Bujold, Gaiman, and Stephenson is hardly getting "marginalized" right-wing writers on the ballot, is it? Politics aside (I don't know about Stephenson's politics, but I never thought of Bujold or Gaiman as especially conservative), all three of these writers have won plenty of awards without puppy help.

The best short story category looks like a hot mess, though.

Amadan
04-27-2016, 01:41 AM
The Sad Puppies this year made a more dedicated (though probably futile) attempt to be apolitical. The Rabid Puppies, not so much.

Kjbartolotta
04-27-2016, 02:02 AM
So, I'm not going to get too political, except to say that A) I agree, strongly, with the opinion most people are stating on this issue, and B) Neil Stephenson definitely falls into the libertarian zone with his politics, but I don't think that's why the puppies are championing him. Last year they decried him as an 'eco-warrior'. Fair? Unfair? In any case, the same article was championing Kim Stanley Robinson, who's pretty damn fair to the left IMHO. So, draw your own conclusion.

And, getting to my point: A Chuck Tingle short story was really nominated??? I, personally, am a huge fan, but I have no idea how this ended up on the ballot. Hopefully, my own parody erotica will end up on the Hugo list some day.

Albedo
04-27-2016, 02:10 AM
Interesting, though suggesting works by authors like Bujold, Gaiman, and Stephenson is hardly getting "marginalized" right-wing writers on the ballot, is it? Politics aside (I don't know about Stephenson's politics, but I never thought of Bujold or Gaiman as especially conservative), all three of these writers have won plenty of awards without puppy help.

The best short story category looks like a hot mess, though.
I'll say. Chuck Tingle?

Edit: kjb beat me to it. Did the puppies put Space Raptor Butt Invasion up as some kind of joke? They're tempting fate if they did. I can see it romping in above the actual puppy works.

Roxxsmom
04-27-2016, 02:21 AM
I'll say. Chuck Tingle?

Edit: kjb beat me to it.

Is that the raptor butt story? When I saw the title, I assumed it was a parody of the "samurai climbing up the mountain-sized monster" story from last year or maybe a belated stab at the "if you were a dinosaur, my love" nominee from two years ago. There seem to have been several, "if you were a/an ... my love" type titles on the lists this year, however, and one made it, courtesy of VD.

I agree that the SP are well within acceptable behavior this year--simply having lists of recommendations, like anyone else can. There seemed to be a lot of overlap between their lists and other writers'. Nor do I disparage Seveneyes's inclusion. It's not my thing (I tried to read it but didn't get very far for reasons that had nothing to do with politics), but it's undeniably popular (it was on the NYT bestseller list, wasn't it)? But if the point is to gain recognition for marginalized authors who have a more "traditionalist" MilSF or conservative view of the future streak, I wouldn't say they've accomplished this.

The RP, on the other hand, seem determined to continue nominating works published by their leader that probably won't finish above no award, but I suspect their point is more to mess things up for everyone else rather than get work by talented but overlooked conservatives out there.

EMaree
04-27-2016, 02:21 AM
For anyone who's been struggling to keep up, Jim C Hines has a hugely useful list (http://www.jimchines.com/2016/04/hugos-and-such/) showing which items weren't part of the Rabid/Sad Puppies slates.

This is so infuriating. Last year they stole a Huge from a wonderful, departed writer -- Eugie Foster was loved among the community and generally thought to have been a guaranteed finalist before the slate votes swept through. Her stories were amazing and she deserved so much better.

This year, they're pulling the spotlight away from wonderful writers, artists, podcast creators, creatives of every stripe.

amergina
04-27-2016, 03:13 AM
I feel weirdly protective of Tingle, actually. I mean, parody is a legit art form, and they're using him.

OTOH, the puppies may rue that at some point.

lizmonster
04-27-2016, 03:15 AM
Welp, I guess I need to find $50 so I can buy myself a voting membership. At least I have more time to read this year.

Kjbartolotta
04-27-2016, 03:37 AM
@amergina- Yeah, I'm kind of into it. Putting aside the fact that he simply doesn't deserve to be there (and, what exactly are they trying to prove?), I'm kinda glad he got a nomination.

zanzjan
04-27-2016, 03:50 AM
I feel weirdly protective of Tingle, actually. I mean, parody is a legit art form, and they're using him.

OTOH, the puppies may rue that at some point.

LOL, as much as I can't see myself ever delving into any Tingle books, I find significant entertainment in the covers and titles. I also suspect a bit of a backfire for the pups with this one. :)

amergina
04-27-2016, 03:59 AM
@amergina- Yeah, I'm kind of into it. Putting aside the fact that he simply doesn't deserve to be there (and, what exactly are they trying to prove?), I'm kinda glad he got a nomination.

Honestly, I think they were making fun of LGBT characters by nominating something "inclusive".

Albedo
04-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Is it too late to nominate the Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt trilogy for best serial work?

(That's Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt, Pounded in the Butt by My Book "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt", and Pounded in the Butt by My Book "Pounded in the Butt by My Book 'Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt'", for those not up with what the kids are reading.)

Kjbartolotta
04-27-2016, 06:53 AM
@Ameriga- I suppose, seems an awful petty and childish thing to do. And what if it wins? (which I hope it does) Wouldn't this just make everyone look clownish and vindictive, and rip to shreds any chance at stating a legitimate argument? I mean, there's no emoticon for what I'm feeling here, people!?

btw's, no disrespect to anyone who writes serious erotica, of any variety. I find Tingle funny, but that doesn't mean I view the genre simply as something to parody. I guess I should leave Tingle alone and let this conversation resume it's natural course

Roxxsmom
04-27-2016, 07:01 AM
LOL, as much as I can't see myself ever delving into any Tingle books, I find significant entertainment in the covers and titles. I also suspect a bit of a backfire for the pups with this one. :)

I'm going to have to go check these out now. I'd honestly never heard of him before this.

Honestly, I think they were making fun of LGBT characters by nominating something "inclusive".

Ugh, I hadn't thought of that, but you're probably right. That's pretty low, imo. I hope they make some changes at the business meeting this year that makes it harder to game the nominations.

Albedo
04-27-2016, 07:24 AM
I feel sorry for anyone caught up in the puppy shenanigans through no fault of their own. Last year it was a few authors and Andromeda Spaceways magazine. This year it's everyone from Chuck Tingle to Alastair Reynolds. Who knows how many of the editors, fan artists and so on don't share any of T. Beale's views, but were just unlucky enough to be picked as slate fillers?

Maggie Maxwell
04-27-2016, 07:27 AM
One thing I love about Chuck Tingle: he wastes no time when an opportunity arises (http://www.amazon.com/Slammed-Butt-Hugo-Award-Nomination-ebook/dp/B01EUC93RE/).

themindstream
04-27-2016, 07:27 AM
I hope they make some changes at the business meeting this year that makes it harder to game the nominations.

Proposals for rule changes have to be approved two years in a row to go into effect; the new nomination system proposal designed for that ("E Plurbis Hugo") passed last year, so if it passes this year, it's in.

Albedo
04-27-2016, 07:30 AM
One thing I love about Chuck Tingle: he wastes no time when an opportunity arises (http://www.amazon.com/Slammed-Butt-Hugo-Award-Nomination-ebook/dp/B01EUC93RE/).
TBF, the Hugo is rather erotically shaped.

Filigree
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM
I'm laughing a lot more at this roster than at last year's, I have to say. The Chuck Tingle thing? Is probably going to bite the Puppies in their collective asses. I wish this wasn't in KC, or I might be tempted to go.

Roxxsmom
04-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Read the first couple pages of the Raptor Butt story. I assume the lack of editing is an intentional part of the parody?

[edit] I read the titles of some of his other stories, and I almost sprayed beverage on my keyboard. "This American Butt, Hosted by Ira ***". "Feeling the Bern in My Butt." Does this make me a bad person?

onesecondglance
04-27-2016, 12:35 PM
I will admit to being confused. Reading through Jim Hines' analysis of which nominees weren't on the puppy slates, that means that the RPs nominated a bunch of people who actively decried and continue to decry them?

And the SPs "recommended" Ann Leckie? I thought she was at the vanguard of Everything That's Wrong With Science Fiction?

:e2hammer:

http://file770.com/?p=28616

Hang on, the SPs recced Scalzi?

I... have clearly not been following this closely enough.

Helix
04-27-2016, 12:46 PM
As far as I can tell it's a cunning plan that is indistinguishable in every respect from a very stupid plan.

Albedo
04-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Perhaps the Sads wanted to prove they really were about picking work on its merit by shooting a few suggested noms to the other side. The Rabids seem to just want to watch the world burn.

SillyLittleTwit
04-27-2016, 02:14 PM
It's straight-out trolling. They're nominating, knowing that:

- If they win, they take the credit.
- If they lose, they take the credit (for having caused one of their enemies to fail).

Really, the only thing to do at this point is ignore them, and just vote on the merits of the actual works.

Helix
04-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Pyrrhic trolling

RedRajah
04-27-2016, 03:46 PM
George R.R. Martin weighs in (http://grrm.livejournal.com/483848.html)

lizmonster
04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
The whole thing is an irritant, and I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle the slated stuff. (Although Chuck Tingle is grabbing his 15 minutes of fame, and I don't for one second begrudge him the financial windfall he's probably seeing right now. He seems to be giving the situation the gravitas it deserves.)

But at least I've managed to shake off the feeling that yet again I'm being screamed at by a bunch of boys who think I don't belong in the clubhouse. I mean, we're all being screamed at by those boys, but it seems that most people recognize they're a tiny minority (if an organized one).

Mostly I'm going to buy a membership so I can No Award Ex Machina, which I hated with the white-hot fire of a thousand suns, so RP isn't my big motivator this year. :)

Sheryl Nantus
04-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Just tells me there's a whole lot of insecure men out there, cowering in their basements.

zanzjan
04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
*notes that the SP group was headed by a woman this year*

(Also, as Amadan has said, they were much more reasonable this year than last. GRRM's post covers this well.)

lizmonster
04-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Just tells me there's a whole lot of insecure men out there, cowering in their basements.

It's actually not that many.

The thing about the Hugos is that even with 4,000 voters, people have different tastes and love different books. (I'm sure that, should the numbers be released, most of the stuff I voted for would have had too few votes to go anywhere even without the slate brigade.) It doesn't take more than a few hundred voting in lockstep to get the percentages up on a small set of titles. And in the non-novel categories, the number of voters was much smaller, so gaming the system was much easier.

As for SP being headed by a woman - SP was a non-starter this year. They discussed books and recommended them to each other, and their recs were submarined just like everyone else's. It was RP who ran the table.

zanzjan
04-27-2016, 06:35 PM
As for SP being headed by a woman - SP was a non-starter this year. They discussed books and recommended them to each other, and their recs were submarined just like everyone else's.

Yes, and unlike last year's tactics, I have zero problem with them producing a recommendation list, because lots of people and groups do that. But I think until they ditch the Puppy moniker they're still "owning" the whole woe-is-Larry origins of this kerfuffle which undermines credibility they'd actually be starting to have otherwise.

But my comment was meant more as a gentle rebuff of the whole "insecure men cowering in their basements" comment above. This is not about men vs. women, and framing it as such does a significant disservice to the larger conversation.

Amadan
04-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Something a lot of people don't get about Vox Day, because they think of him only as "That guy who got kicked out of the SFWA and who John Scalzi keeps calling a RSHDS" - he's very well read, and his recommendations are a combination of trolling, poison pills, and genuine endorsements. He has praised leftist authors (for their writing, not for their politics), and while he's absolutely trying to burn the Hugos down, he's doing it in a very calculated way. So it's not always easy to tell which of their nominees were put there for the lolz, and which ones were put there because VD and his followers actually think they belong there.

I suspect next year, the SPs will either dissipate or be a total non-factor, while the RPs will shift tactics (given the likelihood of the Hugo voting rules being changed) and find some other method of shitstirring.

zanzjan
04-27-2016, 06:50 PM
I suspect next year, the SPs will either dissipate or be a total non-factor, while the RPs will shift tactics (given the likelihood of the Hugo voting rules being changed) and find some other method of shitstirring.

The best move for the SP is to recognize that what they want is best achieved by just stepping out into the big tent everyone else is in -- discussing, recommending, voting for the things they love. Or starting a separate award for social/political conservative SF. Or both. That's only a "non-factor" if someone else is actively gaming the nominations.

But yes, I think RP is not going away any time soon, because for them it's not about winning the awards, it's about taking them away from others (both directly, and in the larger sense of taking them away from the SFF community as a whole.)

themindstream
04-27-2016, 06:51 PM

I don't have money to throw around on curiosity but I'm curious for a summary.

Introversion
04-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Although Chuck Tingle is grabbing his 15 minutes of fame, and I don't for one second begrudge him the financial windfall he's probably seeing right now. He seems to be giving the situation the gravitas it deserves.

Seems to me that the author of titles like Slammed In The Butthole By My Concept Of Linear Time (http://www.amazon.com/Slammed-Butthole-Concept-Linear-Time-ebook/dp/B01A92WFXI/) 1) deserves an award of some sort though 2) a Hugo seems woefully inadequate to honor the weirdness he is creating...

EMaree
04-27-2016, 07:22 PM

The blurb on the Amazon page makes the content very clear, and there's Amazon's 'look inside' feature if you want to see the prose itself.

It wouldn't be respectful or fair to the writer to summarise the story beyond that. They've made a clear choice to keep the full story for paying readers only. And fair play to Tingle, I'm really enjoying seeing him make such good use of the opportunity.

SillyLittleTwit
04-27-2016, 09:42 PM

Here's a dramatic reading of this Hugo-nominated work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD2NJ88D7nA

themindstream
04-27-2016, 10:01 PM
It wouldn't be respectful or fair to the writer to summarise the story beyond that. They've made a clear choice to keep the full story for paying readers only. And fair play to Tingle, I'm really enjoying seeing him make such good use of the opportunity.

Here's a dramatic reading of this Hugo-nominated work:

Ya can't both be right. x.x

I retract my query if it's rude, I'm really only curious about what he thinks about the nomination shenanigans.

And, um...not so curious about the "parody erotica part" *blushes and hides* Curse my upbringing!

I have nothing against it existing and I'm not a complete prude, but...meep...

Shadowflame
04-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Oh interesting. Editing posts on my kindle kills it.

What I posted before.
Mr. Tingle has a mental illness is disabled and lives with his son who also edits for him.
I for one hope the exposure gives him extra income for a more comfortable life.

Possibly the best unintended huminatarian result of the RP slate you could ask for.

Aggy B.
04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
So, is it wrong that I am now waiting for Slammed in the Butt By the Erotica Parody Author I Nominated as a Joke, starring Dox Vay?

Filigree
04-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Ting... le! Ting...le! Rah rah rah! I find that nomination one of the more joyous highlights of what I've come to expect as the Annual Hugo Awards Pie Fight.

Kevans
04-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Actually the best thing for the Sad Puppies to do is migrate en mass to the Dragon awards, 60,000 plus in the voting pool and it is free. Grin

Kevin

lauralam
04-28-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm also tickled for Tingle (haha).

Some great books on the list. I'll focus on supporting those. (Since I think I can vote since I'm going to Worldcon in Helsinki)

zanzjan
04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
As much as I'm deeply amused by Mr. Tingle's fiction titles, let's not go down the road of expanding our wish for titles to include real people, even deeply awful ones. There is a distinct tone of both homophobia and non-consensual sexual violence introduced by such a shift.

Filigree
04-28-2016, 11:17 PM
True.

rwm4768
04-29-2016, 12:20 AM
I bet the RPs are just thrilled that N.K. Jemisin made the list. I believe she stands for just about everything they despise. The same goes for Leckie and Stephenson. I don't know much about Butcher's or Novik's political views.

I could actually see The Fifth Season winning. While I personally liked Butcher's novel a little bit more, I think The Fifth Season is more Hugh-worthy, if that makes sense. Butcher's novel is fun and action-packed, but it lacks the big ideas I'd normally expect from a Hugo nominee.

EMaree
04-29-2016, 12:29 AM
I don't know much about Butcher's or Novik's political views.

Naomi Novik is a strong advocate for fanfiction, fanart and other fanworks, she created Archive of Our Own (https://archiveofourown.org/)(*THE* place for fanfiction) and chairs the Organization for Transformative Works. She does a ton of work to help young and up-and-coming writers, including minority writers, and her work to support fanfic is a godsend for sexually diverse folks looking to see more of themselves in fiction. She's also of minority descent herself, the first-generation American daughter of a Polish mother and a Lithuanian Jewish father.

Also, Uprooted is a gorgeous read and I can't recommend it enough for folks who love the sound of Polish-inspired, fairytale fantasy.

Naomi Novik is badass and I'm thrilled to see her on the list.

themindstream
04-29-2016, 02:02 AM
I've read most of Novik's Temeraire series and a fair amount of ink us used to highlight the hyprocracies of the alt-universe British Empire, imperialism, colonialism, etc between swashbuckling dragon adventures. Won't presume to expand from that to her personal politics but it's not exactly Puppy material.

zanzjan
04-29-2016, 06:07 AM
As a note, there are a number of statements from assorted nominees who found themselves on the RP slate on File770, here (http://file770.com/?p=28681&cpage=1), including Mike Glyer of File770 himself. There's also a link in the comments to a statement by Tales To Terrify.

Aggy B.
05-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Loosely related, but Hugo Nominated Author Chuck Tingle has a new book out - Pounded In The Butt By My Irrational Bigoted Fear of Humans Who Were Born as Unicorns Using a Human Restroom

(http://www.amazon.com/Pounded-Irrational-Bigoted-Unicorns-Restroom-ebook/dp/B01F4NVWMC/)

Laer Carroll
05-05-2016, 05:31 AM
It has been interesting watching the evolution of the Puppies over the last three years. They seem to be coming closer and closer to the mainstream Hugo fans, the Sad ones especially. In fact, I found a couple of books on the SP list which were happy discoveries for me.

Which brings up the subject of lists in general. I read a lot of SF/F and visit the physical and online bookstores and the library at least once a week. Yet I can never keep up with the field, which is getting bigger and more varied every month, it sometimes seems. My feeling? The more lists and the more varied the better!

Speaking of which, thanks Zanjan for the File 770 link. I found Mike Glyer's 2016 Recommeded SF/F List at http://file770.com/?p=28452 very useful & have bookmarked it for regular visits.

zanzjan
05-05-2016, 10:39 PM
It has been interesting watching the evolution of the Puppies over the last three years. They seem to be coming closer and closer to the mainstream Hugo fans, the Sad ones especially.

I think that's fairly true of the SP, and a good thing for all. I'd need to be convinced that the RPs aren't moving *away*, as they've gone from nominating actual works to what, IMHO, is things picked (and perhaps even written) specifically to troll the larger community.

But yeah, I like the file770 list (and site.) Sad to hear this am that SFSignal is shutting down. :(

Aggy B.
05-06-2016, 03:21 AM
Apparently Chuck Tingle (who is a psuedonym) is going to have Zoe Quinn attend the Hugo Award ceremony to potentially accept the award on his behalf.

zanzjan
05-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Oh, that would be truly awesome.

Roxxsmom
05-06-2016, 05:21 AM
But yeah, I like the file770 list (and site.) Sad to hear this am that SFSignal is shutting down. :(

Yeah, I just heard. It felt very sudden. There are so many great links, articles and resources. I hope they find a way to archive those, at least.

ULTRAGOTHA
05-07-2016, 06:15 AM
MidAmeriCon II has announced the replacements (http://file770.com/?p=28834)for the two withdrawn works.

Roxxsmom
05-07-2016, 12:05 PM
MidAmeriCon II has announced the replacements (http://file770.com/?p=28834)for the two withdrawn works.

I saw that. I haven't read this short story (yet), but it looks to be a very solid nominee, as it's also been shortlisted for the Nebula and Locus awards. I'm glad, at least, that the short story category isn't going to be a 100% RP lock out this year. And now to go read this story.

I enjoy the Ladybusiness blog too.

zanzjan
05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
I updated the nomination list at post 77 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?314732-Hugo-Awards-2016-Nomination-List-at-Post-77&p=9815914&viewfull=1#post9815914).

ULTRAGOTHA
05-10-2016, 02:45 AM
I updated the nomination list at post 77 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?314732-Hugo-Awards-2016-Nomination-List-at-Post-77&p=9815914&viewfull=1#post9815914).

Wow, Zanzjan, you must really like Cat Pictures, Please! ;-)

Roxxsmom
05-10-2016, 11:01 AM
This is really strange, but I just got an email announcing that "Hugo Nominations Are Now Open!" from MidAmericaConII today at 6:28 AM.

I'm assuming this is a glitch, since they've been closed since the end of March and would not yet be open for next year. Nor are the nominees for this year open to vote on yet from what I can tell.

zanzjan
05-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Wow, Zanzjan, you must really like Cat Pictures, Please! ;-)

LOL. Sometimes posting/editing is glitchy for me over dialup; totally missed that it had done that. All fixed now.

ULTRAGOTHA
05-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Roxxsmom I suspect a glitch. Though given when voting is said to open, PINs for members of MACII to vote in the finals ought to be sent soon now. (You all do know that you have to have a supporting or attending membership to MACII to vote, right? A membership to Sasquan or WorldCon 75 does not give you rights to vote, only to nominate.)

Roxxsmom
05-11-2016, 03:37 AM
Roxxsmom I suspect a glitch. Though given when voting is said to open, PINs for members of MACII to vote in the finals ought to be sent soon now. (You all do know that you have to have a supporting or attending membership to MACII to vote, right? A membership to Sasquan or WorldCon 75 does not give you rights to vote, only to nominate.)

Yep. I've joined MACII, and this message was definitely from them (not Sasquan). Maybe their system is set up to automatically update old e-mails to all newer members, including ones that joined MACII after the nominations closed (I nominated via my Sasquan membership).

It's not an issue, just something that made me go, "Huh?"

Helix
05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
I got the same message. Probably just a disturbance in the...er...a glitch.

MidAmeriCon II is pleased to announce that nominations for the 2016 Hugo Awards and the 1941 Retro Hugo Awards is now open!

JJ Litke
05-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Oh crap, I have to join MidAmeriCon to vote, don't I? I was able to nominate, so I totally forgot that's where the cutoff is from last year's membership. That is how it works, right?

themindstream
05-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I think Tingle knows what he's doing. (http://boingboing.net/2016/05/06/weird-porn-author-who-was-drag.html)

Roxxsmom
05-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Oh crap, I have to join MidAmeriCon to vote, don't I? I was able to nominate, so I totally forgot that's where the cutoff is from last year's membership. That is how it works, right?

You do, but there's plenty of time to do that still.

PeteMC
05-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I think Tingle knows what he's doing. (http://boingboing.net/2016/05/06/weird-porn-author-who-was-drag.html)

Tingle seems to be some kind of weird genius. I don't know if anyone knows who he really is, but I doff my hat to him in respect (for his sense of humour if not his writing!).

ULTRAGOTHA
06-01-2016, 03:41 AM
The Hugo Packet (http://mac2-hugo01.midamericon2.org/packet.php) was posted over the weekend.

The Retro Hugo Packet doesn't seem to be out yet.

You must be a member of MidAmeriCon II to vote and to log in to download the packet. If you nominated due to membership in Sasquan or WorldCon 75, that PIN will no longer work. You must have a MidAmeriCon II membership.

Gilroy Cullen
08-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Okay, the winners were announced on Saturday. Any comments on who won?

Also, why did it seem like the slates were a bigger deal last year than this year?

ULTRAGOTHA
08-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Hugo results (http://www.thehugoawards.org/) for those who haven't seen them yet.

benbenberi
08-22-2016, 10:00 PM
I think one of the reasons the slates were such a big deal last year was that they were an unexpected new problem and people were scrambling how to respond and how to prevent them from derailing everything. This year in contrast people were prepared so there wasn't as much shock/horror/panic to raise the volume. And apparently the business meeting passed the anti-slate nomination rules changes for a second time so they'll be in effect starting next year & hopefully have the intended effect.

themindstream
08-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Reading more into the anti-slate measures, the one that was ratified this year may have less of an effect than was hoped for but it should help. On the agenda to be ratified next year (stuff has to be passed twice to be made official) is an enhancement to the new vote counting system (worked over with a computer science expert I've heard of fairly often, Bruce Schiner) and an additional step in the nomination process where people can vote to knock out troll entries (more controversial, people are worried about the potential for abuse and the fact it looks a lot more exclusionary than an impartial statistics model, though the threshold that has to be met to knock a work off the ballot is pretty high).

rwm4768
08-22-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm glad The Fifth Season won. I personally preferred The Aeronaut's Windlass, but the Fifth Season feels more to me like the kind of book that should win a Hugo. Butcher tells more of a straightforward and fun story. I love those kinds of stories, but for me, that isn't necessarily what an award like the Hugo is about.

benbenberi
08-23-2016, 03:35 AM
The Fifth Season definitely has the Big Ideas as well as good writing and a great, twisty story.

JJ Litke
08-23-2016, 05:04 AM
The Fifth Season took a while to hook me, but I liked it a lot.

The results looked to me like people pretty much ignored the puppies and voted however they wanted. The puppies are probably trying to spin it as some kind of victory, or they made their point or whatever. But I think it'll be increasingly difficult for them to keep their own group invested in the time and money it takes to keep trying to rig the nominations.

Albedo
08-23-2016, 06:55 AM
I think Mad Max: Fury Road should have won over The Martian: although both were equally good movies for what they were, Mad Max was the best movie of last year full stop.

Oh well, it'll have to content itself with its six Oscars.

jjdebenedictis
08-23-2016, 08:13 AM
I think Mad Max: Fury Road should have won over The Martian: although both were equally good movies for what they were, Mad Max was the best movie of last year full stop.

Oh well, it'll have to content itself with its six Oscars.

I agree, but Mad Max wasn't as neatly classified as science fiction or fantasy, whereas The Martian was very much science fiction of a nicely crunchy, realistic variety, which Hollywood doesn't make often enough. I wonder if that made a difference. (Although something like Jessica Jones is likewise not easily slotted into the traditional categories. Are superheroes science fiction, fantasy, or their own distinct genre? I tend to think of them as their own genre.)

Albedo
08-23-2016, 08:27 AM
I agree, but Mad Max wasn't as neatly classified as science fiction or fantasy, whereas The Martian was very much science fiction of a nicely crunchy, realistic variety, which Hollywood doesn't make often enough. I wonder if that made a difference. (Although something like Jessica Jones is likewise not easily slotted into the traditional categories. Are superheroes science fiction, fantasy, or their own distinct genre? I tend to think of them as their own genre.)
Superhero movies are in their own distinct class, I think. The conventions are their own, and don't borrow much from either science fiction or traditional fantasy.

But then, is 'post-apocalyptic' its own distinct class as well?

BenPanced
08-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Mad Max and its sequels have long been considered part of the genre for as long as I can remember, as well as superheroes. A lot of it depends on the fans and their interests, so you'll see a lot of crossover at cons and such; hell, many sf/f fans are interested in Renaissance fairs and the Society for Creative Anachronism, the medieval reenactment group, so there's a good chance you'll find dealers selling garb, prop swords, feast gear, etc. in the dealer's room at some cons.

Albedo
08-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Mad Max and its sequels have long been considered part of the genre for as long as I can remember, as well as superheroes. A lot of it depends on the fans and their interests, so you'll see a lot of crossover at cons and such; hell, many sf/f fans are interested in Renaissance fairs and the Society for Creative Anachronism, the medieval reenactment group, so there's a good chance you'll find dealers selling garb, prop swords, feast gear, etc. in the dealer's room at some cons.
Oh, they're definitely part of the broader, um, cultural movement. Call it geekdom, or something similar. But to me the superhero subgenre is something quite distinct from science fiction, at least going by stuffy formal definitions. After all, it arose in its own distinct medium.

ULTRAGOTHA
08-24-2016, 02:00 AM

I think The Martian pushed a WHOLE LOT of WSFS buttons. It's right in a lot of WSFS voter's sweet spot. That win didn't surprise me at all.

Of course, I tried to watch Fury Road and couldn't finish. So I'm obviously not the audience for that movie, as good as friends assure me it was.

For those interested, here is a 16 page .pdf (https://midamericon2.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/EPH-2016-For-BM.pdf) of the results of this year's Hugos against what the finalists would have been with E Pluribus Hugo (EPH). Not a lot of movement on the final slots. The hope is that Three Stage Voting (3SV), 5 and 6 (nominate 5 works, top six make the ballot) and EPH+ will move the needle more against slates.

EPH and 5 and 6 will be in play for WorldCon 75 in Helsinki. EPH+ and 3SV need to be ratified next year to be effective for WorldCon 76 in San Jose.

raelwv
08-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Also, why did it seem like the slates were a bigger deal last year than this year?

In this post (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/08/22/gum-on-the-shoe-of-history-or-why-the-hugos-are-still-not-destroyed/) Scalzi indicates that (1) the Sad Puppies largely sat this round out, leaving the Rapid Puppies to soldier on themselves and (2) they slated several candidates (The Martian for one) that were likely to be nominated and/or winners anyway as a means to "claim" them for the Puppies. That might explain it.