Does Twitter help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Are you on it? What do you think of the rumor that it might up the min # of characters to 10K?

I've just got on, as of a few days ago. I've done it to just try to get the word out on a book.

I think it's fun, but it's kind of so big I don't know what to make of it yet.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Jesus, how do you keep up with it? Turn your head for a minute and come back to a hundred new posts. For that reason, maybe the proposed 10K character thing might be an improvement. I think the speed of the place is good, but I wouldn't mind it slowing down just a little bit. I don't know, 1000 characters? 2?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I keep up with it by severely limiting my feed. I am picky about who I follow, and I don't follow-back just anyone. But that's because I'm easily overwhelmed. Others will say the best way to go about Twitter is maximum contacts. Either way, I think Twitter works best when you actually engage rather than just lurk and follow.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I am engaging. And I am following a lot of people, about three times more than follow me, mostly because I don't know who's gonna make my day a little better or worse. I do hate the self promotion thing. I do hate talking about my book or trying to hustle people. I follow a ton of writers, really just because I'm interested in what they have to say, not just about the pub business, but about everything. They're usually smart and compassionate people. I'm also following publishing houses and just anybody who says something I like or think is interesting. I'm following politicians and reporters, and musicians I dig. I read the thread on here that suggested how to use social media and I'm trying to follow it. This is from someone who has never used social media except for AW. But I got a facebook for the book, an author's page on Amazon, registered with Goodreads and Library Thing, thought I haven't touched them yet.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Two great tips for managing Twitter:

1. Make Lists. When you follow someone, there's a gear right next to the Follow button. Click that, and you can add that person to a list of your own creation. I've got over a dozen lists now. One for Media accounts (journalists, etc.). One for Public Safety accounts. Booktrope & Gravity people. Michigan football. Saints football. It makes it much easier to see what's going on. My public Lists: https://twitter.com/bobmueller/lists. I also have 3 or 4 private Lists.

Lists can be fluid, too. I just created one called Thrillers, for all the thriller writers I follow. But right now it's only got one person on it. I need to spend some time managing my lists to get that a little more organized.

People can be on multiple Lists, as well. I've got one called "OCONUS" where I put anyone who's not in the States. But everyone on that list is on another list that corresponds to the original reason I followed them.
  2. Use a client like Hootsuite. It makes it SO much easier to slow the tempo. You can set up multiple tabs within the client, and use on tab for each List, for example. I have 11 tabs set up: the Main tab; DMs; Me (for self-searches); Writing; Non-Writing; Sports; Syndicator (Google alerts and such); trafficking; Innocence; Media (last 3 are lists).
This combo turns the floodgate of Twitter down to a fast garden hose, and makes it much more useful. I currently follow over 600 people, and there's no way I could do that without these two tricks.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Two great tips for managing Twitter:

1. Make Lists. When you follow someone, there's a gear right next to the Follow button. Click that, and you can add that person to a list of your own creation. I've got over a dozen lists now. One for Media accounts (journalists, etc.). One for Public Safety accounts. Booktrope & Gravity people. Michigan football. Saints football. It makes it much easier to see what's going on. My public Lists: https://twitter.com/bobmueller/lists. I also have 3 or 4 private Lists.

Lists can be fluid, too. I just created one called Thrillers, for all the thriller writers I follow. But right now it's only got one person on it. I need to spend some time managing my lists to get that a little more organized.

People can be on multiple Lists, as well. I've got one called "OCONUS" where I put anyone who's not in the States. But everyone on that list is on another list that corresponds to the original reason I followed them.
  2. Use a client like Hootsuite. It makes it SO much easier to slow the tempo. You can set up multiple tabs within the client, and use on tab for each List, for example. I have 11 tabs set up: the Main tab; DMs; Me (for self-searches); Writing; Non-Writing; Sports; Syndicator (Google alerts and such); trafficking; Innocence; Media (last 3 are lists).
This combo turns the floodgate of Twitter down to a fast garden hose, and makes it much more useful. I currently follow over 600 people, and there's no way I could do that without these two tricks.

Good advice here.

Also, be you on your account. Don't just spam the heck out of your work. Respond to people. Have conversations. ReTweet things you like. It's just like any other social media platform. The best way to have people follow you and buy your stuff is to be a real person.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
There's a crapton of writers on Twitter - it's sort of to writers what tumblr is to fandom. Lots of agents and small presses too, which helps you to get to know them (good or bad) prior to submitting anything to them (or just follow them for tips/because they're interesting). I follow a number of agents that have things on their #MSWL (manuscript wishlist) that corresponds to some of my WIPs or what I write in general. I've also bought author books based on them talking about them on Twitter (i.e., "here's what the book is about" vs. "BUY MY BOOK").

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thanks cmhbob, I'll try to figure out how to do all that. I'm kind of a knuckledragger with this stuff.

Yeah, shadow, I know what you mean. I do follow a lot of writers, a lot of beginners like myself, and several have dmed me immediately to try to sell me their book. Not bugged, I understand. Yeah, easy for me to be me on there because I don't really want to be on there telling people to buy my book. So I talk about politics, whatever.

Do we think that the 10k characters is a good thing? Wonder how many words that averages out to.

to da bird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kBmh-mqUY

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
There's a crapton of writers on Twitter - it's sort of to writers what tumblr is to fandom. Lots of agents and small presses too, which helps you to get to know them (good or bad) prior to submitting anything to them (or just follow them for tips/because they're interesting). I follow a number of agents that have things on their #MSWL (manuscript wishlist) that corresponds to some of my WIPs or what I write in general. I've also bought author books based on them talking about them on Twitter (i.e., "here's what the book is about" vs. "BUY MY BOOK").

Thanks, tia. Gonna follow you. I'll link my twitter here too.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Some tips I've found useful (some that have already been mentioned):

1. (mentioned above) Create lists. And then interact with the people on the list. If there are agents or reviewers or book store owners you like, reply to their posts, even a simple click on the heart (now a "like" used to be a "favourite"), notifies them of your existence.

2. Authors are great fun to follow, and I highly recommend it simply for expanding your community and support system. That being said, for self promotion purposes they aren't that helpful (unless a really famous one retweets you) so make sure you also follow librarians and book store peeps. As well as bloggers and reviewers.

3. Hashtags are a great way of reaching people not following you. Of entering conversations that are larger than just your Twitter world.

4. Do not, I repeat, do not spam about your work all the time. Seriously. Don't do that. Be yourself. Post funny observations. Retweet other people. Support others. No one trusts an author who only talks about writing and their books.

5. It's wise to attempt to get your follower/following balance so that your followers well exceed the number of people you are following. If it's one to one it looks like you are just trying to get followers by following every single person. That you are indiscriminate. I mean look at someone like Neil_Gaiman: he has 2.6 million followers but only follows 868 people. So that's a bit extreme, but the point is, people will judge based on the ratio. You said above you are following way more people than you have following you. See what you can do to even that out and then bring up your followers. Check and see if you really do need to follow all the people you are following. I bet there are some you could unfollow.

6. Manage the number of people you are following by using a site like this: http://untweeps.com/ This tells you how often the people you follow are actually using Twitter and how large their outreach is. I started ages ago on Twitter and so a lot of the accounts I followed have since been abandoned by their owners. It's a really fast easy way to check up once and while.

7. You asked how one keeps up with everything posted. Well one doesn't. You simply cannot go back through your feed and make sure you've read everything. That's not how Twitter works. You see what you see in the moment you are on Twitter. You miss a lot of stuff. That's the nature of the beast. Don't attempt to comment on every single tweet made by others or read every single tweet. That way madness lies.

But above and beyond everything remember that Twitter is a community. You are there to promote but you are also there to interact, get to know people, have fun. Share tweets by others, support others, celebrate others. And yes, you can absolutely post about your stuff too once in a while, but if you make your focus more on community building, it'll serve you better in the long run. And you also won't feel quite so icky about the self promotion aspect.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste, what can I say? That is an unbelievably generous of you. But it strikes me that that's who you are. So nice of you, words cannot say. Much of what you said I had no idea about, so I will refer back to this post many times in the future. I'm shaking my head here, at the kind of a person you are. Just beautiful. Thank you.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It depends if you can get followers who are interested in what you are tweeting. I do promo on there, but I also tweet about a lot of other things interacting with my followers.

I enjoy Twitter, but I admit to ignoring most of the tweets by people who only post nonstop promo.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh my goodness, I'm blushing! I just like helping out where I can (and I figure come the apocalypse I'm going to have so few useful skills that I need to rack up as many karma points now as I can ;) ). I've learned so much in the almost decade or so I've been doing this author thing (like seriously 2017 it'll have been a DECADE since I published my first book. Blows. My. Mind.) and I love to share everything I've learned whenever possible. And especially since my learning curve with Twitter was very slow, took me a long time to figure stuff out. The first few months I didn't even know people @ replied to people on Twitter. I thought that you just wrote a tweet and others read it and that's all, lol. So anything I can do to speed up that process for others, well, I will do! :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It depends if you can get followers who are interested in what you are tweeting. I do promo on there, but I also tweet about a lot of other things interacting with my followers.

I enjoy Twitter, but I admit to ignoring most of the tweets by people who only post nonstop promo.

Yeah, I mean, today and part of yesterday I did tweet some snippets that I thought might grab some attention, but mostly I'm talking Bernie Sanders and gun control. For now, I'm following a ton of people but this thing that Toothpaste linked http://untweeps.com/ really looks like a good idea. It seems like the 10K character thing, if it happens, might be a good idea, but I don't know.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I'm blushing! I just like helping out where I can (and I figure come the apocalypse I'm going to have so few useful skills that I need to rack up as many karma points now as I can ;) ). I've learned so much in the almost decade or so I've been doing this author thing (like seriously 2017 it'll have been a DECADE since I published my first book. Blows. My. Mind.) and I love to share everything I've learned whenever possible. And especially since my learning curve with Twitter was very slow, took me a long time to figure stuff out. The first few months I didn't even know people @ replied to people on Twitter. I thought that you just wrote a tweet and others read it and that's all, lol. So anything I can do to speed up that process for others, well, I will do! :)

Well, you're incredibly sweet. Yeah, I can't make heads nor tails of it yet, but my impatience sometimes helps with the learning curve. I like interacting with people, most people add much more than they take away, but the truth is I don't have all that much time. I've really been cheating by going on Twitter as much as I have over the past few days--just trying to get some traction so I can get back to spending most of my free time writing. I haven't written a word in months, what with querying and editing and now trying to market it. I've got another one coming out in a couple months with a different publisher and so maybe what I'm doing now will help. Damn though, I just want to write. And not to worry, something tells me you've got a surplus of karma points. Thanks so much.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Might I add that Toothpaste is very good at what she does, and never annoyed me at all! Like she says, you can't see everything. Think of it as walking through a room and catching some really cool conversations.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Might I add that Toothpaste is very good at what she does, and never annoyed me at all! Like she says, you can't see everything. Think of it as walking through a room and catching some really cool conversations.

hahaha, that's good to know. Yes, I do believe that she is. And I think I'm beginning to see the light, so to speak. Thank you!

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Do we think that the 10k characters is a good thing? Wonder how many words that averages out to.
I think it sounds horrendous. The reason I like Twitter is because it's nothing like Facebook.
I've not yet seen anyone express a positive reaction to the 10k characters rumour. I think a lot of people might leave if it happens. It'll take ten minutes just to scroll through a few tweets. Yikes.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds horrendous. The reason I like Twitter is because it's nothing like Facebook.
I've not yet seen anyone express a positive reaction to the 10k characters rumour. I think a lot of people might leave if it happens. It'll take ten minutes just to scroll through a few tweets. Yikes.

Yeah, I mean, from my experience on there, which is all of a few days, I have thought it would be nice to have a little more space, though I do see what you mean/ 140 to 10,000 is quite a leap. Maybe some smaller number might be okay, but I don't know what everyone else will think.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a Twitter account for about three months and had four people following me. They're already following me on Facebook, where I'm making many posts around 140 characters, anyway, so I deleted Twitter.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, from my experience on there, which is all of a few days, I have thought it would be nice to have a little more space, though I do see what you mean/ 140 to 10,000 is quite a leap. Maybe some smaller number might be okay, but I don't know what everyone else will think.
Ha, yeah. I could live with them extending it to maybe 200/250 characters.
But on the other hand, making what you want to say fit 140 is kind of fun and satisfying. A great exercise in editing and getting rid of words you didn't realise were unnecessary on first look.

I'm still hoping the 10k is just a rumour.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, yeah. I could live with them extending it to maybe 200/250 characters.
But on the other hand, making what you want to say fit 140 is kind of fun and satisfying. A great exercise in editing and getting rid of words you didn't realise were unnecessary on first look.

I'm still hoping the 10k is just a rumour.

You're right, I've had the same thought regarding the lesson in brevity. I guess we'll see what they decide. Wonder if there's any kind of timeline, so to speak.

Does twitter help? I don't know. What's twitter?

Hmm, you're asking the wrong guy, James. But if I figure it out I'll be sure to let you know.

I do know, what you're hinting at, of course, and I fully appreciate your point.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
My experience with Twitter (and FB, and CompuServe, and ... (yes, I am that old)) has been to focus on creating conversations and talking about writing/publishing in general and only commenting on something like "Hey, I have a new book out (link)" and then dropping it unless someone asks me. I see Twitter more like the corner bar where I go in and talk to people who've got something in common with me and love talking to people I've never met before (I'm a shameless extrovert after all).

But, I follow a few personal rules:

I try to avoid ALL conversations about politics and/or religion in main chat. I figure as polarized as this country is these days, there's no sense in antagonizing up to half of my potential readers by goring their personal ox. Some of my writer friends thrive on being all political and controversial - I also notice almost all of them live in NYC and they're all following each other. If that's what they want to talk about - fine - but I don't have to listen to it.

Honestly, I don't care about your politics, and I'm pretty sure you don't care about mine, so why throw stuff on the wall that generally only starts acrimonious debates and hard feelings. And if someone insists on making most of their tweets (or FB posts) all about politics, they very soon get unfriended. I don't tell them what to talk about, but I pick up my drink and move out of earshot (to keep the bar analogy going).

Status
Not open for further replies.