Public phones in the UK

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Can anyone tell me when phone booths in the UK (for my story it'd be Scotland) switched from rotary to push-button dialing? Yeah, I know, obsure, but if I get it wrong, I know someone'll be letting me know so I may as well get it right now.

Thanks!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks push button public telephones would have been rolled out by the '70s, the GPO (forerunner of British Telecom, the UK's backbone comms company) was always quick to intro new technology, especially when it had a hand in the development.

Though I don't doubt that the big cities would have got upgraded before outlying towns. So, it maybe depends on where your story's set. If your MC stepped into an old type red phone box in some rural area and found a dial phone, I wouldn't be shocked or anything.

-Derek

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
In early 80's in small town Scotland there were rotaries; all phased out by late eighties. And they all smelled like pish.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm a regular visitor to rural parts of Scotland (Western Isles, Ullapool) and honestly wouldn't be surprised to still see a rotary phone box there. ;) In Stornoway and across the little villages scattered over the Isle of Lewis, rotary phones were still a regular sight in houses in the 2000s.

If it's a rural part of the country, you can guarantee the technology will be significantly older. Items like phone books get a lot less wear 'n tear in the villages (and some old bodach would just repaint/repair it if it got tatty), and the upgrade budget wouldn't really focus on the great wild land North o' Glasgae. Glasgow and Edinburgh would be up-to-date, Aberdeen too if the oil boom has started, and maybe a few posh areas with regular upperclass visitors like Cawdor. But it's pot luck for the rest.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help with the question, apart from saying that I only remember push button payphones from the late 80s when I started occasionally using them.

Also, the phonebox (not a pretty red one, more's the pity) in "my" village is probably the only one on the whole of the UK which doesn't have even the faintest whiff of urine!

I moved to the sticks last April and had no landline (or internet - grrrrr!) for five weeks due to BT's incompetence and, because the mobile signal is iffy round here (and the house's 18 inch thick walls don't help), I had to use the thing every so often. I used to give my Olds a quick ring on my mobile and then they'd phone the phonebox. My dad's first question was "Does it smell like a bloke's loo?" ;)

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I recall them appearing through the 1980s, mostly along with the new style phone boxes that BT introduced after privatisation. Looking on the internet it seems some push buttons were appearing from very late seventies, in places like airports. But for your payphone in a box on the street it would be some time in the 80s. It would certainly depend on where your character is using one though.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the rotary ones so it must be the mid eighties at least.

I remember watching a news item about how tough and vandal resistant the touch tone phones had to be. Probably about 1987.