• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

MG Historical Fantasy Adventure (68k) UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thank you to all of those who helped me with the first beta reads. I really, really appreciate it. Made it ten times better.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'd like to do a second beta round on this after the edits. I'm seeking maybe one or two readers. I am willing to swap so long as it's MG. If you're interested, here's the pitch:

When an old sea relic lands twelve-year-old Davy Jones aboard a pirate ship two hundred years in the past, he’s got to think quickly to stay alive. With a name like his and a crew spooked by his inexplicable appearance, Davy’s looking at taking a swan dive off the proverbial plank.

Using the apps on his smartphone—and a whole lot of nerve—Davy plays on the crew’s superstitions by convincing them that he totally is his mythical namesake who’ll curse them all if he’s chucked overboard. Little did he expect to be the one calling his own bluff. A vengeful ghost ship rises from its watery grave and Davy’s the one who accidently summoned it.

Zomb-pirates and soul-sucking sirens soon wreak havoc on Davy and the crew. And they are the least of his troubles. The ship’s captain is his ticket home, but his own selfish reasons for keeping Davy around while sea monsters run amuck provoke the crew to mutiny.

Now Davy will have to do more than fend off the soggy undead to get back home. He must keep the captain alive; unravel the mystery of what brought him to the past; and embrace the reality that he doesn’t just share a name with an infamous nautical superstition—he may be the very legend himself.

It’s ripe at 69k68K words, written in first-person narrative, and basically a cross between Death Takes a Holiday, Dennis the Menace, and Black Sails. I’m looking for consistency issues, WTF-are-you-taking-about moments, likeability of characters, plot holes—that type of stuff. I’d also like to know if it’s too violent. I have a feeling readers are going to say it leans on the YA side, but I firmly believe it belongs in MG.

Also, my MC was previously a little to obnoxious, so I hope I was able to tone it down.

Thanks so much!

Dani

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Sounds fantastic! I'd love to take a look, though I realistically can't get to it until toward the end of the month. Would that be all right?

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kate. Of course. Take your time. I'm not in any hurry. I still have to write a synopsis, edit it a bit more, probably write a pitch. I have your email. Let me know when to send it along.

maracalone

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Daniela! I'd be interested in a swap if you're able. Mine is a MG historical mystery. I could turn around a read in a couple days as I'm on break (teacher).

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Need one more beta. Willing to swap with MG or YA. A week or so turn around time.

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds cute (sorry, Davy, lol). I'm between drafts right now, so it would be a good time to read. I mostly write upper YA supernatural with historical underpinnings, and love anything time travel. Let me know if you're still looking for another eye.

christopherdschmitz

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'd be interested in swapping critiques.

After merging souls with her copy from an alternate dimension, Claire is forced to decide if romantic feelings for an interdimensional bodyguard belong to her or her alternate self—while they save the universe together.

Wolf of the Tesseract is a YA speculative fiction adventure of about 72,000-words. It has elements of magic realism and science fiction (think “Guillermo Del Toro directs an episode of Fringe.”)

With her father away on an archaeological dig, college student Claire Jones is suddenly thrust into a reality bending journey. Pursued by a warlock bent on annihilation and caught in a civil war between dimensional realities, Claire discovers she is part of a royal bloodline and is the warlock’s key to releasing the dark god, Sh’logath: Devourer of Reality. Claire must trust the mysterious wolf of the Tesseract to keep her safe long enough to seal the void and save her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.