Am I the only one who can't stand Star Wars?

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
At this point I would go as far as to say I hate Star Wars very much.
It wasn't always that way, before I used to just be indifferent towards the franchise, respectful of its influence but not really interested in seeing its films more than once or twice a lifetime.
When the Force Awakened was announced I smiled and said "no thanks."
And the Star Wars franchise didn't take kindly to that.
For the last 2 years since the film was announced I've had Star Wars shoved down my throat an average of 20-30 times a day, with the last few weeks upping to 50-60 times a day. Advertisements, memes, merchandise, I recently saw a movie in the theatre as far removed from Star Wars as physically possible and it had about 6 Star Wars ads in front of it. I can't get away from it. I feel like I'm going mad! Now every time Darth Vader or a storm trooper pops onto my monitor I just want to puke, 50-60 times a day because I'm just. So. Sick of it!
I know people are just like "don't like it, don't watch it!" Oh I wish it was that easy to escape.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
At this point I would go as far as to say I hate Star Wars very much.
It wasn't always that way, before I used to just be indifferent towards the franchise, respectful of its influence but not really interested in seeing its films more than once or twice a lifetime.
When the Force Awakened was announced I smiled and said "no thanks."
And the Star Wars franchise didn't take kindly to that.
For the last 2 years since the film was announced I've had Star Wars shoved down my throat an average of 20-30 times a day, with the last few weeks upping to 50-60 times a day. Advertisements, memes, merchandise, I recently saw a movie in the theatre as far removed from Star Wars as physically possible and it had about 6 Star Wars ads in front of it. I can't get away from it. I feel like I'm going mad! Now every time Darth Vader or a storm trooper pops onto my monitor I just want to puke, 50-60 times a day because I'm just. So. Sick of it!
I know people are just like "don't like it, don't watch it!" Oh I wish it was that easy to escape.

But it is that easy to escape. You can't escape the adverts or the fans, but you're still not being forced to watch it. Brief if inssesent trailers aren't watching the film. I've got no interest in the films as anything other than the early ones being a wonderful representation of Science Fantasy as a genre, and yes, the adverts are a bit excessive, but I'm not that bothered by it. It isn't my thing and that's it.

Something tells me that you've been harboring a deeper dislike all along than you were probably willing to admit to yourself. And that's fine, because everyone has something they hate movie or bookwise. It's how you act and not the fact you hate whatever it is that matters.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to football, or Soccer in some parts of the world, infiltrating every aspect of every aspect of my life, I learned at an early age to filter out the over hyped nonsense to the extent that most things without a pre establish point of interest doesn't get through.

Fav TV show off air for a few weeks because of football season, train cancelled because of football. Nothing of interest to discuss at work because of football. I'm gay, apparently, because I don't like football. Pubs are full of dick heads because of football.

Star Wars over saturation isn't a patch on the supposed national obsession with a few men in shorts kicking a ball about for money. You don't know what hatred is.

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to football, or Soccer in some parts of the world, infiltrating every aspect of every aspect of my life, I learned at an early age to filter out the over hyped nonsense to the extent that most things without a pre establish point of interest doesn't get through.

Fav TV show off air for a few weeks because of football season, train cancelled because of football. Nothing of interest to discuss at work because of football. I'm gay, apparently, because I don't like football. Pubs are full of dick heads because of football.

Star Wars over saturation isn't a patch on the supposed national obsession with a few men in shorts kicking a ball about for money. You don't know what hatred is.

True, Star Wars isn't the only overly popular thing out there that drives a few poor saps mad. It IS frustrating when people hear your complaints and huff "well get OVER it!"

Look, there is nothing wrong with the Star Wars franchise,they're fine movies, I just don't want to see it anymore.

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really care about Star Wars either way, and the attention paid to it . . . well, I don't feel like it's being forced at me, any more than any other popular thing . . . it's just another thing that people are talking about, or care about, or for which there are advertisments, or to which the world pays attention, that I don't seem to be stirred by. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, political debates, The Bachelor, alcohol consumption, sex, Christmas, shoes, coffee, food that requires effort to make, having children, celebrities, home equity, clothes that are not sweatpants -- I dunno, it's fairly minor in the list of things that are a part of lots of other people's lives that I can't seem to give any fucks about.

And all that's okay. I accept that I'm not a part of a lot of these things, but that it's important to others. At times, it does get tiring to be involved in that sort of world, but if I do get tired, I can shut it off. I can sit in my room and not acknowledge the outside world for a while, if I want, or go for a drive. :) In general, I don't stay terribly involved in things that don't interest me, because it becomes sort of a strain on my ability to care overall. I understand if not everyone has these luxuries, but if these things are pressing on you, maybe see if taking a quick break from the world helps, in whatever way you can. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
In trying to avoid spoilers I was able to avoid all mention of and information about "Star Wars" for weeks, instead living my life in the very large and interesting not-Star-Wars part of the universe and not worrying about it too much.

People who like the film(s) may be very loud, and the publicity machine is ramped up just at the moment, but it is hardly a universal topic.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can say this about any popular franchise, whether it's a book, a movie, a TV show, etc. When it's something that's incredibly popular, the publicity machine ramps up to 11 and won't let go until every man, woman, child, house pet, dray beast, cockroach, etc., is pummeled into submission and understands THE NEW INSTALLMENT IS HERE. Teh intarwebz lights up like a Christmas tree on fire with anticipation, fans doing the pee-pee dance because their beloved franchise has A NEW INSTALLMENT (also igniting arguments about whether it's going to be/is as good as the previous X installments and/or how it's going to get screwed up in comparison to the first one). I haven't seen the new Star Wars yet and I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD, but I'm thinking the PR machine has gone to 12 on this one because it has Disney behind it now; Disney's been known to ramp up the hyperbole in cases like this so it's really not out of the ordinary.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
cheesecakeMe said:
[h=2]Am I the only one who can't stand Star Wars?
[/h]
Not at all. I saw The Force Awakens with my wife and son. We all thought it was a piece of shit. :rolleyes

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I am a big Star Wars fan in general ever since I was a kid. The movie in and of itself was spectacularly written, directed, and acted, all Star Wars-y stuff aside.

It is being shoved down our throats, that I do believe. You can't even buy fruit without seeing something Star Wars related. It reminds me of the Spaceballs reference: Space Balls II: The Search for More Money. LMAO I tend to avoid the merchandise pretty much altogether and focus on the stories.

Also, prepare your anus because there's going to be a Star Wars movie every year from now on. Disney is already a merchandise cash cow. They're going to milk this franchise worse than Lucas himself.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who can't stand Star Wars?

You...
You...
You... laser-brained nerf-herder! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

(Admit it, you'd watch that mashup.)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
You...
You...
You... laser-brained nerf-herder! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

(Admit it, you'd watch that mashup.)

:roll:I fart in your general direction!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You are not alone. My first experience with the films was making the mistake of saying that I hadn't seen any of them... so my friend insisted that I watch the first one. The original one. There was a scene, I can't remember it exactly, but Luke and Leia were running from white clad army guys and they open some door and dive into what appears to be an elevator of sorts. There's laser beams flying all over the place and general feel of the scene is that they are trapped. Then Luke fires his weapon at the wall and the door closes, thus saving them from certain death. At this point the camera kinda zooms in on his face as he turns and says: There, that should hold 'em off for awhile...

In that moment, that scene, that dialog; it was all ruined for me. I realized as I sat there that there is nothing special about the film at all. It was and always will be -to me- nothing more than a cheap spaghetti western with a space ship backdrop. I have seen the other two of the first three, but only because I was in the room, and for me they just got cheezier as they went.

So, bravo to you CheesecakeMe for being brave enough to say exactly how you feel.

That's pretty darn heroic in my book. =)

*I just had an idea. What if we could find a few more like-minded individuals? Maybe we could band together as a small group of rebels and then take on the evil empire?
Wouldn't that be a laugh?

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Don't fret, Star Wars non-lovers. Not everyone loves the same thing and there's nothing wrong with not liking something. I honestly don't see why people like The Avengers movies so much, or Thor for that matter. It irks me that the reason most girls love said movies is because of how dreamy the actors are. They've never even picked up a comic.

But I digress. It would be juvenile of me to be a hater because of it. If anything, I should thank them for throwing money at something that essentially is keeping comic books alive for those who do read them.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Don't fret, Star Wars non-lovers. Not everyone loves the same thing and there's nothing wrong with not liking something. I honestly don't see why people like The Avengers movies so much, or Thor for that matter. It irks me that the reason most girls love said movies is because of how dreamy the actors are. They've never even picked up a comic.

Ahem! Excuse me, I'm one of those kinds of ladies, lol! XD

I read some comics here and there, but I mostly watch those kinds of superhero movies for the dreamy guys (as well as humorous scenes and awesome action scenes). What's so wrong with that? :p

At least I'm throwing money at these superhero movies...

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But I digress. It would be juvenile of me to be a hater because of it. If anything, I should thank them for throwing money at something that essentially is keeping comic books alive for those who do read them.

Do we really want to stray into "fake geek girl" territory? Really?

Why? There are fake geek boys too.

Regardless of gender, I saw this all the fuggin' time when I was hanging out in sf/f fandom circles. The sneering disdain, the looking down the nose or over the rims of the spectacles, the sniffing and snorting over the mundanes are here. Oh, goodness, the not-fans are in our space aren't they just so cute how they think they're going to understand the complete history and all of the characters on the same level as us? Why the hell should it matter (and how do you tell a not-fan from a real-fan from a Trufan™ Hand out a questionnaire while everybody's in line to buy tickets)? More butts in chairs and you'll probably get the sequels.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
There's a geek purity test, obvs.

Shit. I lost 50 points because I was swooning over Captain America...

...And then I lost the rest because I was too busy reading slash fiction, and shipping Tony Starks and Steve Rogers together in some love triangle involving Bucky.

I...I think I failed the test. XD

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've never picked up an Avengers comic, but trust me when I say my enjoyment of the films has nothing to do with how "dreamy" the actors are. :rolleyes:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I've never picked up an Avengers comic, but trust me when I say my enjoyment of the films has nothing to do with how "dreamy" the actors are. :rolleyes:

Even if the dreamy part is one of my favorite reasons, there's nothing wrong with that, lol! :D