I need the name of a posh American coffee machine, pretty please!

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
It's 2009, and I need the name of a top-notch coffee machine to refer to in passing and generate rampant envy.

Normally I'd just say "coffee machine", but I need to imply this appliance is the US version of the dog's bollocks and money wasn't an issue when making the purchase.

Preliminary googling suggests a Technivorm could well fit the bill, although as a tea addict I wouldn't recognise a decent coffee machine if somebody dropped one on my head.

Cheers in advance and HNY to the good people of AW,

LPH.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Slight rephrase required:

The name of a posh coffee machine available in the US in 2009, country of origin not set in stone!

Cheers...

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
There's some definite potential there. My previous research was based on looking for what was around the $350 mark on amazon.com and suitable for a small office.

I googled Technivorm and they're Dutch. I never knew the Dutch were into making posh coffee machines...

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
If you owned a Technivorm in 2009, you would definitely impress coffee aficionados, but the brand name wouldn't mean much to the average coffee drinker. and while it was expensive for an automatic drip coffee maker, it wasn't gaspingly expensive. As a mid-level coffee geek at the time, I would have raised my eyebrows for a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine in someone's kitchen. Especially if paired with a Rancilio Rocky grinder, which of course, it would be. (It was a status thing to be able to afford both, although a lot of people I knew at the time would buy Sylvia first with a cheaper grinder and save up for Rocky.) Rancilio sold "Sylvia and Rocky" as a duo for a slightly reduced price, but the pair would run around a thousand dollars at the time, and slightly more today.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Elektra-Belle-Epoque-Coffee-Machine.jpg

Elegant Elektra Belle Epoque

Not sure if they were around in 2009, but who cares? It's not like 99.999% of people would know that.

Ketzel

Registered
Reaction score
Electras have been around for decades, but the one you picture is designed for restaurant use and would probably cost over five grand. I'd say it would make a statement in anyone's home!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
How about an (automatic) espresso maker? Does it sound more fashionable? I've heard good things about this Delonghi brand and a model I previously bookmarked cost $1,500, seems very posh to me. But chances are 99% of the readers won't know this brand. Espresso maker, they should know.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Hm. To avoid using brand names, you might just toss in "super-automatic". Those are the fancy ones that grind, tamp, and draw, and have a steam wand on the sides. You pushes a button, you gets your espresso.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
That Elegant Elektra Belle Epoque isn't even the most expensive on this list:

http://coffeemakerpicks.com/most-expensive-coffee-machines/

The back story is that some detectives had their incident room refurbished and they all decided to chip in for a decent coffee maker. Another detective visits as the case being investigated spans two jurisdictions. He notices the coffee maker in passing (they have to make do with a crappy vending machine in his archaic police station, unless they brew their own) and feels the green-eyed monster tighten its grip.

Cops like coffee (and doughnuts), what can I say?! ;)

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How high-end are you looking? Breville is pretty quality and makes a good range of better stuff... I'd use a decent name and then add a descriptor, like, with it's own grinder and spout (I know someone owns an espresso maker with the grinder and spout that's likely around $1000-1500 - it's some Italian brand with a T - but you can get them cheaper).

How about an (automatic) espresso maker? Does it sound more fashionable? I've heard good things about this Delonghi brand and a model I previously bookmarked cost $1,500, seems very posh to me. But chances are 99% of the readers won't know this brand. Espresso maker, they should know.

Delonghi is so mainstream I'd think most people have heard of them. They make tons of small kitchen appliances, mostly mid-grade.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
The back story is that some detectives had their incident room refurbished and they all decided to chip in for a decent coffee maker. Another detective visits as the case being investigated spans two jurisdictions. He notices the coffee maker in passing (they have to make do with a crappy vending machine in his archaic police station, unless they brew their own) and feels the green-eyed monster tighten its grip.

(feels nostalgic for Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?)

Ketzel

Registered
Reaction score
You could do something along the lines of: "Detective Doe stopped short at the sight of the gleaming super-automatic espresso machine, perched incongruously on top of a government-issued two-drawer file cabinet. 'You guys have a Gaggia? What, did one of you win the lottery?'"

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
You could do something along the lines of: "Detective Doe stopped short at the sight of the gleaming super-automatic espresso machine, perched incongruously on top of a government-issued two-door file cabinet. 'You guys have a Gaggia? What, did one of you win the lottery?'"

Or if he is snotty and unfriendly (and not afraid of having hot coffee in his face), "Did Mara or the Bloods sponsor it?"

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the espresso-maker page at William-Sonoma. (High-end housewares catalog shop, if you're not familiar with them.)

Scroll down to "Fully automatic espresso machines" for some super-expensive models. These are the current items, but the ones available in 2009 were pretty similar, from the same companies.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Dug up this story for you from a 2008 Wired magazine article:

http://www.wired.com/2008/07/mf-clover/

"The Clover coffeemaker debuted in a handful of cafés in 2006 and was promptly hailed as the best thing to happen to coffee lovers since the car cup holder. With an $11,000 asking price, the Clover has become a fetish object among the coffee-obsessed."

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I like this and I do similar things in my worldbuilding.
But, I do it by creating a new word from the culture and word association.
Since, the OP did not specify a real-world name only, I will file away for my own use:
After learning about the exclusive role played by finely crafted gold and otherwise enhanced Samovars in 18th century Russia, i have come to like the associations of words like Kavovar, Belvour or Bellavore.

I like the ostentatious, "O", like in the end of self-exalted titles like Windsor or much less Tudor.
Tundor, Meldor, Lindor.

Just thinking out loud.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
I fictionalise quite a few things such as the names of restaurants and streets, but like to throw in the occasional real world brand name or an actual street to make things sound a little more... erm... real. (Back at work this week = Brain not working properly).

Some of my crime trilogy is set in Preston (Lancashire) and, whilst I've used real street names and locations in much of it, for the rougher bits of town I've made up my own suburbs/pubs/streets. I'm sure a few locals would be able to make a reasonably good guess about which areas inspired "my" bits of Preston though - haha!

p.s. Still gobsmacked that people would pay a hefty four figure sum for a coffee maker! My tea habit is so much cheaper... ;)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
You (or your detective) can buy a moka pot for $10-20 and brew the best espresso over a stove top.