PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Thread Spinoff: Lucas is a Bitter Betty (SPOILERS FOR ALL FILMS)

CrastersBabies
12-31-2015, 10:28 PM
Thought I'd open up a new thread for this one. Seems that Lucas is really offering a few backhanded comments here, some outright slaps there.

I figure this will contain massive spoilers for ALL SEVEN films, so people can discuss things freely.

Anyway, a few snips from this io9 Article (http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-not-so-brief-history-of-george-lucas-talking-shit-abo-1750464055):

Lucas: These are my kids.
[Charlie] Rose: All those Star Wars films.
Lucas: All the Star Wars films.
Rose: They were your kids?
Lucas: Well, they are. I loved them, I created them. I’m very intimately involved in them. And, obviously, to sell them off—
Rose: And you sold them.
Lucas: I sold them off to the the white slavers who take these things and...[laughs]

from Lucas....

"When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don’t go over to their house and drive by to see what they’re doing. The third one is you don’t show up at their coffee shop and say you are going to burn it . . . You just say “Nope, gone, history, I’m moving forward.”

Interesting article read.

CrastersBabies
12-31-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm a bit torn on this one. On ONE hand, it's his universe, his characters, his stories. But, fans don't have a whole lot of confidence in him after Episodes I-III.

And, yes, he did sell the rights off to a man who made it a top priority to honor the original universe and the underpinnings of IV-VI (while also paying tribute to the prequels).

It seems to me, from the article, that Lucas isn't at all interested in fans, just in "telling things the way they happened," regardless of whether or not the fans enjoy/like or connect with it. I get that too, in a weird way, but also know that releasing these films at this point (when kids like ME who saw SW in the theater will be taking their own kids to enjoy this adventure) is a delicate matter where one should probably consider the audience more than Lucas was willing to.

Anyway, thoughts? Feelings? Gripes? Opinions?

rugcat
12-31-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm a bit torn on this one. On ONE hand, it's his universe, his characters, his stories. But, fans don't have a whole lot of confidence in him after Episodes I-III.

And, yes, he did sell the rights off to a man who made it a top priority to honor the original universe and the underpinnings of IV-VI (while also paying tribute to the prequels).

It seems to me, from the article, that Lucas isn't at all interested in fans, just in "telling things the way they happened," regardless of whether or not the fans enjoy/like or connect with it. I get that too, in a weird way, but also know that releasing these films at this point (when kids like ME who saw SW in the theater will be taking their own kids to enjoy this adventure) is a delicate matter where one should probably consider the audience more than Lucas was willing to.

Anyway, thoughts? Feelings? Gripes? Opinions? This is all opinion, of course.

Filmmaking, more than most arts, is a collaborative process. In his early films, Lucas put his personal stamp on them, but he also listened to the opinions of others, accepted input, worked with them, and came up with some terrific films as a result.

But then, he started believing his own hype that he was a genius, that his personal vision was both exceptional and without peer. He started doing things his way, and only his way, shutting out other voices and ignoring input and criticisms from those who could not understand the workings of a great mind.

Almost predictably, the result was the prequels, three inferior films that almost nobody liked. And with good reason.

Now, someone comes along who is able to work in a collaborative fashion and using the original creative idea, creates a really good film but it doesn't match up with Lucas' personal vision of what he thinks the films should be.

Even worse, the stupid public really likes the films as opposed to the turkeys that he made. So yes, he's bitter and I doubt very much his ego would have allowed him to praise any film in the Star Wars saga that he wasn't in charge of.

It is a classic case of ego overcoming creative talent. It's a shame, because the man has genuine talent. But his talent proved to be no match for the outsized and dysfunctional ego that derailed it.

anastasiareeves
12-31-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words that don't sound like I'm being unreasonable toward Lucas and his status as the original Star Wars creator. On the one hand I want to say "shut up and go away" and on the other I understand why he would have an opinion and why some people would want to know what that opinion is.

I haven't read the article because truthfully I don't care what he thinks of it. It won't change how I feel about the new film and how I feel about what he did to the ones he was in control of. If he was held at gunpoint and forced to sell off his baby his opinion would hold weight, but seeing as he voluntarily sold the rights to Disney and allowed the franchise to be taken over by new blood to inject new life into it, his opinion is moot. (To me, YMMV)

From the bits I have seen online, Lucas is upset at how nostalgic The Force Awakens feels? So it should have been Star Wars but, not Star Wars? What?

CrastersBabies
01-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Rugcat, I didn't know that he was less collaborative in the three prequel films. Seems like a Stephen King, "I don't need editors" move where you want to cut through red tape, get your work out there w/few interruptions or voices adding opinions... but.... ended up borking things up.

(I also am reminded of Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy here too, where I read he didn't put up with as much studio interference as he had in the past...)

To me, it just goes to show that while you may create something beautiful, something you love, it can often take outside input and critique to balance ideas that simply won't work as well.

Cyia
01-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Lucas started compromising the storyline for the sake of marketing back with The Empire Strikes Back. The toy sales literally salvaged the series when he'd run out of money on the sequel and he took that to heart. All of the dark nuance was shelved in favor of cartoonish antics and characters that could be slapped on lunchboxes and backpacks, which meant that the heroes had to stay heroic and the villains had to be vanquished, and there absolutely needed to be someone/something like Yoda / Ewoks in each installment that kids could latch onto as a huggable snuggle-toy. My very first Star Wars toy when I was a kid (and to this day I don't know why my mom bought it) was a plushie Jawa that spoke. You'd push a button, say something to it, and it would repeat your words back in "Jawa language." I loved that stupid little gremlin of a thing with it's no-face hoodie and glowing eyes.

Selling to Disney is the next iteration of that formula. They're king at marketing things (even death and destruction) to kids in a way that makes them not only palatable, but profitable.

anastasiareeves
01-01-2016, 02:50 AM
George Lucas "sorry" he referred to Disney as "white slavers..."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-sorry-white-slavers-851661

Brightdreamer
01-01-2016, 04:03 AM
Lucas started compromising the storyline for the sake of marketing back with The Empire Strikes Back.

That Star Wars Holiday Special - which aired two years before ESB's release, and which George Lucas himself is responsible for, overriding saner voices who tried to redirect the disaster in the making - also had a very strong whiff of marketing, even if it flopped... seriously, did multiple Harvey Korman appearances and a Bea Arthur song number really figure into his sacred Vision of the Galaxy Far Far Away, or was he already crunching numbers? That whole thing was nothing but a blatant marketing gimmick, so the greed/ego blindness wasn't new when the prequels hit.

I respect what the man gave the world, and even the prequels have their merits, but he's the one who chose to hand off the baton. If he's feeling left behind by his own creation... well, it's become much bigger than one man, and it really always was from the moment the first film hit theaters.

Cyia
01-01-2016, 04:30 AM
That Star Wars Holiday Special - which aired two years before ESB's release

Before my time. I've heard of it, but never saw it. It sounds as bad as I've heard.

Brightdreamer
01-01-2016, 05:21 AM
Before my time. I've heard of it, but never saw it. It sounds as bad as I've heard.

Here's a clip (http://www.rifftrax.com/the-star-wars-holiday-special) on the Rifftrax page. (I don't recommend attempting it without the Rifftrax crew, incidentally...)

aleighrose
01-01-2016, 05:41 AM
I understand that it must feel weird to have someone else take creative control of something he dreamed up. And given how similar the plot of The Force Awakens is to A New Hope, he may even feel plagiarized. But the bottom line is he chose to sell the rights. If he had been truly concerned about what Disney would do with his creation, he wouldn't have sold it to them. And if the similarities to A New Hope bother him, then he should think of The Force Awakens as an homage to the movie he made that everyone loved. (Though, they are really similar.) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It may piss you off, but it's still flattery.

My very first Star Wars toy when I was a kid (and to this day I don't know why my mom bought it) was a plushie Jawa that spoke. You'd push a button, say something to it, and it would repeat your words back in "Jawa language."
Now that I know this exists, I want one badly. The Jawa are my favorite of the alien races in Star Wars. They are so cute! I love their glowing eyes and the little gibbering way they talk. Of course, that plushie probably costs $1,000 nowadays.

RedRajah
01-01-2016, 05:49 AM
Wal$Mart's charging $25 for talking plush Jawas...

CrastersBabies
01-01-2016, 06:32 AM
George Lucas "sorry" he referred to Disney as "white slavers..."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-sorry-white-slavers-851661

Interesting...... boy that was a quick turnaround.

whistlelock
01-01-2016, 07:08 AM
I think a lot of it is sour grapes about the Disney team tossing his drafts out. He's been holding on to those stories in his head for decades, and surrounded himself with Yes men. So, yeah, hard to accept someone else doing it better than the guy who created it.

Aggy B.
01-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Totally agree with rugcat. Lucas's stronger films were always the ones on which he had more collaboration. AND the things that have always rubbed folks the wrong way were due to attempts to appeal to kids and sell toys. (That's why we got Ewoks in RotJ instead of Wookies.)

I think Lucas is probably especially sore over the fact that folks disliked the prequels so much. If we had gone from the originals to TFA, I think he wouldn't feel as stepped on. And I imagine he felt a little vindicated where there was initially so much nerd-rage over the early info on TFA (the crossguard lightsaber, etc), and now folks seem really happy with what Abrams and Disney are doing. So... yeah.

I'm a little disappointed, but not really surprised that Lucas is not taking it as well as he could.

Filigree
01-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Lucas allowed his ego to derail his creativity a long, long time ago. Like Chris Carter and Yanni, he started believing in his marketers' own hype...never a good incubator for well-balanced art.

ShaunHorton
01-01-2016, 07:26 AM
I think a lot of it is sour grapes about the Disney team tossing his drafts out. He's been holding on to those stories in his head for decades, and surrounded himself with Yes men. So, yeah, hard to accept someone else doing it better than the guy who created it.

You think? I'm actually expecting the movies to take a lot of turns that are familiar to those of us who've read the books, even if the characters have different names and such.

aleighrose
01-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Wal$Mart's charging $25 for talking plush Jawas...
Thank you for letting me know this. I found one on Amazon, but they're asking for $108! Walmart's price is much more reasonable.

(Uh, sorry for hi-jacking the thread to talk about Jawa plushies. *slinks off to Walmart*)

CrastersBabies
01-01-2016, 08:52 AM
There were some similarities, but I disagree that it's bordering on plagiarism.

Or maybe I didn't see the same movie as the folks who think it's "exactly alike" saw.

aleighrose
01-01-2016, 09:42 AM
There were some similarities, but I disagree that it's bordering on plagiarism.

Or or may be I didn't see the same movie as the folks who think it's "exactly alike" saw.
I wasn't saying that it was plagiarism. I was just saying that maybe Lucas viewed it that way. The Force Awakens has a hero from a desert planet who's good with droids, and can pilot ships and use the Force. It has a villain who's related to the heroes and was once trained as a Jedi. It has the resistance X-wing pilots blowing up a death star (or death planet). From Lucas's perspective, it's easy to think "But I already did all of that. You love this movie because of me!" Yet he's not getting any of the credit for it. If that is what he's thinking, then I can understand why he'd be a little upset. I don't condone it, though. I think he's being a baby about it, going from one interview to the next complaining about how he gave control to Disney even though he did so of his own free will.

frimble3
01-01-2016, 03:21 PM
So, if the Disney people are 'white slavers', this makes Lucas what? The guy who sells his children to white slavers for beer money? 'Cause he didn't 'give' anything to anybody. He took the money. Is he claiming he was drugged? Tricked? Threatened?

Diana Hignutt
01-01-2016, 04:27 PM
George Lucas thought the world was going to end so he sold SW to the House of the Mouse. The world didn't end. Now George is mad. He figured Disney would never get a chance to do anything with SW. Color me: not surprised.

Filigree
01-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Or, he cynically thought he could get some $$, Disney would fail miserably, and somehow those terrible prequels would look good in comparison. That's not happening.

redfalcon
01-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I think Aggy B hit the nail on the head. His prequels are not the only issue "hard core" fans have, his remasters of the 4-6 have earned him scorn also. My wife won't allow the prequels or the remastered versions in the house.

I'm glad to see him gone, as long as he takes his Midi-Chlorians and Jar-Jar Binks with him. That being said I agree with him on the tribute issue. I am more disappointed with TFA the more I think about it. It's still a good movie, but the replay of 4-6 was a lazy way to go. I believe they were trying to up their Star Wars street cred with the fans and ended up missing a great opportunity with some great characters.

just my .02

RedRajah
01-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Now, if only Disney would hire his ex-wife to work on the scripts as well as Kasadan...

Beachgirl
01-01-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm a little disappointed with Lucas about his attitude, but I can't say I'm surprised. I practically worshiped at the alter of George Lucas in the early years of the franchise, but I firmly believe the sale to Disney needed to happen. Lucas was far too embedded in his own genius and the franchise desperately needed new life and outside creativity breathed into it. I think Disney has done a fantastic job so far.

I have to admit, I'm also looking forward to the expanded SW land at Disneyworld. I may just have to buy annual passes again after it's completed.

Latina Bunny
01-01-2016, 09:32 PM
While I respect the man for the creation of such a great universe, I'm glad his franchise is now in new hands. I'm sorry, but Lucas was starting to become a bit arrogant and controlling about this franchise. I think it's good that he passed the reins to someone else.

While I loved the original trilogy, I especially loved the Clone Wars cgi TV show as well. I also enjoyed reading the Expanded Universe books. Those were fun!

I hope some of the expanded universe books and comics could be mined for some material for future Disney Star Wars content.

(Time for an embarassing confession: I actually used to like Jar Jar Binks as a kid, lol. I even wrote a Mary Sue for him. *blushes*)

I haven't seen the Disney movie yet, but I think it was time for a fresh, new start for the franchise. I heard the movie was good, so I hoping this is the start of something great! *crosses fingers* :) Plus, I love Disney stuff, so it's all good. :3

anastasiareeves
01-01-2016, 09:51 PM
I think it's really rad that we are in a time where fans who grew up with the franchise are able to put that fandom into working on the new films. Disney is doing things right, by the fans for the fans. If the Marvel Cinematic Universe is any indication, we're in for a fun ride.

The first of the films was going to have to be very close to the original Star Wars film(s) to reignite the old fans and bring in the new fans. If you look at what Abrams did with the Star Trek franchise, he gave fans what they wanted in the first and then flipped it on its head for the second film. Many tried and true fans aren't real happy about that, but I feel like it did what it was supposed to do: inject new life into a franchise. Abrams has done the same for Star Wars. (I believe William Shatner had some not so kind words about the reboot of Star Trek too, everyone's got an opinion!)

Lucas is upset that the franchise was not completely redone with new planets and new ships and newness. He has forgotten that we humans are all about nostalgia. And if VII was nothing like IV-VI there would have been serious revolt.

I feel the same was as Chris Hardwick, Nerdist and smart dude, who puts these things in really good perspective whenever there is descent on a franchise or reboot: Just because the new one exists it doesn't make the old one go away.

Lucas's comments are not surprising. It's sad that he hasn't learned anything in all the time the fans have been questioning his decisions on both the prequels and his decision to futz with the originals. But again, not surprising. He'll get over it. Or he won't. Doesn't matter now, Disney has control and I'm excited about what the future holds.

CrastersBabies
01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Well, Lucas wasn't much more creative in his first prequel. Anakin grew up on a desert planet, was a master with droids, knew how to pilot things. Potential romantic rivalry between Anikan, Padme and Obi Wan (Luke, Leia, Han).

The heroes try to barter their way off a desert planet.

Skywalker leaves Tatooine to train as a Jedi /Anakin leaves Tatooine to train as a jedi.

Qi Gon and Obi Wan are killed by bad guys (Darth Maul and Darth Vader)

Climax with Anakin in a space battle (where he blows up a federation trade ship) / Climax with Luke in a space battle (where he blows up the death star)

The list really goes on.

I think The Force Awakens, however, was more "on the nose" in its similarities, but it also strayed significantly in important ways as well.

I don't think Lucas has any room to bitch about the reusing of monomythic/SW-centric tropes here.

Beachgirl
01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
After seeing the movie for the third time yesterday, I am happier than ever that this film was made explicitly for the fans. I wonder how many fans would have thrown a bloody fit if they had actually gone completely off the rails and didn't produce a throw-back to the originals? *raises hand* Personally, I would have been livid. I think this movie is everything us older die-hard fans needed to bring the SW excitement back to life, while also engaging a whole new generation.

Introversion
01-03-2016, 04:45 AM

No. It's far worse.

DonAtreides
01-03-2016, 05:15 AM
Basically everything that Lucas has had creative control over has turned out as garbage:

Star Wars: Phantom Menace (story by)
Star Wars: Clone Wars (story by)
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (story by)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (story by)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (story by)

The only one that I'll give Lucas a pass on is Willow which, ironically, had the same exact problem as all of his other stories: Written for children but containing extremely child-inappropriate themes.

Lucas has been drinking his own Kool-aid since the 70's. I have no pity for him whatsoever.

Also, Han shot first you lying sack of Jawa dung.

Albedo
01-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Check your blood pressure, everyone, cos Lucas brought all the salt.

I kind of want to read his unused story treatments. I bet they have some marvellous character names.

Cyia
01-03-2016, 05:55 AM
I kind of want to read his unused story treatments. I bet they have some marvellous character names.

Ironically, both 3PO and Luke started off as female, so maybe that's why he's upset. They've basically made the movie he wrote before he turned Skywalker into fraternal twins. "Her" name was even Starkiller.

(Of course, Han was reptilian, so the parallel isn't exactly 100%)

RedRajah
01-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I dunno...early sketches of Han looked almost like Lucas himself...

I did like "Radioland Murders" back in '94 that he co-wrote & produced.

ShaunHorton
01-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Everyone knows Han shot first.

Ted Cruz said it was traumatic that such an idol would commit such an act. (http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/264562-ted-cruz-prefers-original-star-trek-to-next-generation)

aleighrose
01-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Everyone knows Han shot first.

Ted Cruz said it was traumatic that such an idol would commit such an act. (http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/264562-ted-cruz-prefers-original-star-trek-to-next-generation)
I think you misread that article. He was saying that Han's death was a traumatic scene.

Shaba
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Lucas = not very bright when it comes to the media. I do understand his pain, though. This movie barely moved the franchise forward. I love Star Wars, and I enjoyed the newest movie, but this movie is far from deserving of the glowing reviews showered upon it.

Wiskel
01-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Lucas created the star wars universe, and the best thing he did was make it fascinating. So many frames of the films give license to create new stories about the background characters and he even sold us the toys to do it.

The worst thing he did was decide after selling us the toys that we weren't playing with them right. It's not too surprising now that Disney aren't playing right either.

He would have been so much better with a bit of dignified distance and a bit of excitement (false if needed) when asked a direct question. We all want to like him, but we like the universe and the characters more, and so far Disney seem to like them too.

Craig

DavidZahir
01-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Film is one of the collaborative arts, and in a major way. From what I've read, Lucas' original ideas for Star Wars weren't really that good. Like most wonderful film-making, it was several bolts of lightning caught in a bottle. Lucas was one of those bolts of lightning, the first one and he made the bottle to boot.

But in the end results matter. I'm not talking about box office, but the movies he made. The prequels are wretched stories, full of special effects and no magic, terrible performances by generally very good actors as well as what sure looks like some nasty ideas stirred into the mix. Like Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek as well as Dan Curtis and Dark Shadows, or for that matter Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, here is a fantasy world that outgrew its primary creator. On some level Lucas seems to more or less recognize this.

It is also one thing to say "I have a vision and I intend to share it with others" while quite another to insist "This is my creation and I don't care what the audience thinks of it." Lucas seems to have wandered into the latter.

And it bears saying that I get the impression Lucas is himself a very nice guy overall.

Trismegistus
06-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I think it's really rad that we are in a time where fans who grew up with the franchise are able to put that fandom into working on the new films. Disney is doing things right, by the fans for the fans. If the Marvel Cinematic Universe is any indication, we're in for a fun ride.

The first of the films was going to have to be very close to the original Star Wars film(s) to reignite the old fans and bring in the new fans. If you look at what Abrams did with the Star Trek franchise, he gave fans what they wanted in the first and then flipped it on its head for the second film. Many tried and true fans aren't real happy about that, but I feel like it did what it was supposed to do: inject new life into a franchise. Abrams has done the same for Star Wars. (I believe William Shatner had some not so kind words about the reboot of Star Trek too, everyone's got an opinion!)

Lucas is upset that the franchise was not completely redone with new planets and new ships and newness. He has forgotten that we humans are all about nostalgia. And if VII was nothing like IV-VI there would have been serious revolt.

I feel the same was as Chris Hardwick, Nerdist and smart dude, who puts these things in really good perspective whenever there is descent on a franchise or reboot: Just because the new one exists it doesn't make the old one go away.

Lucas's comments are not surprising. It's sad that he hasn't learned anything in all the time the fans have been questioning his decisions on both the prequels and his decision to futz with the originals. But again, not surprising. He'll get over it. Or he won't. Doesn't matter now, Disney has control and I'm excited about what the future holds.

My feeling on the future of Star wars are rather tepid.
I looked to Star Wars to go on the next leg of a journey rather than retread a well warn path, a property being labeled Star Wars is enough nostalgia for me.
Every Star Wars film looked a little different,felt a little different from what had gone before it and built off previous events,and in the case of the Prequel Trilogy build towards upcoming events.

The Force Awakens doesn't feel like it's own film it feels like a remix of choice bits of the Original Trilogy. Look through the official Art book, any concept or idea that was truly distinct from the OT was either cut or ground down until it fit with the OT; here's the thing when I want the OT I''ll watch it.

We already know exactly how the Sequel Trilogy is going to end...
Rey and Kylo Ren in a duel before Lord Snoke as battle rages just outside the window.

Well, Lucas wasn't much more creative in his first prequel. Anakin grew up on a desert planet, was a master with droids, knew how to pilot things. Potential romantic rivalry between Anikan, Padme and Obi Wan (Luke, Leia, Han).

The heroes try to barter their way off a desert planet.

Skywalker leaves Tatooine to train as a Jedi /Anakin leaves Tatooine to train as a jedi.

Qi Gon and Obi Wan are killed by bad guys (Darth Maul and Darth Vader)

Climax with Anakin in a space battle (where he blows up a federation trade ship) / Climax with Luke in a space battle (where he blows up the death star)

The list really goes on.

I think The Force Awakens, however, was more "on the nose" in its similarities, but it also strayed significantly in important ways as well.

I don't think Lucas has any room to bitch about the reusing of monomythic/SW-centric tropes here.

However the state of the galaxy in Episode I was very different from Episode IV, I wouldn't mind a reused story line so much if the galaxy was in a different state .
The galaxy at the end of ep VII is in almost the same condition as it was in the beginning of the Original Trilogy.

Basically everything that Lucas has had creative control over has turned out as garbage:

Star Wars: Phantom Menace (story by)
Star Wars: Clone Wars (story by)
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (story by)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (story by)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (story by)

The only one that I'll give Lucas a pass on is Willow which, ironically, had the same exact problem as all of his other stories: Written for children but containing extremely child-inappropriate themes.

Lucas has been drinking his own Kool-aid since the 70's. I have no pity for him whatsoever.

Also, Han shot first you lying sack of Jawa dung.

None of those were bad films.

Lucas = not very bright when it comes to the media. I do understand his pain, though. This movie barely moved the franchise forward. I love Star Wars, and I enjoyed the newest movie, but this movie is far from deserving of the glowing reviews showered upon it.

The move catered to people nostalgia and the disdain for the Prequel Trilogy and had a marketing campaign designed to exploit those facts, Disney also likely bought good reviews and suppressed bad ones. There was no way that the media was ever going to report that film as anything less than a glowing return to form, try looking up some independent reviews on the web or youtube and you'll start seeing that you are not alone.