Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
So I'm going through trying to find a place to publish my short stories and I've come across a few places that state "Payment by Paypal only."

Um, Paypal is a no go for me. I refuse to do business with them if I can help it. The last time I tried, the account was breached, even with what it considered a SECURE password.

So this is just a general discussion of what do you find as worthy forms of payment or what forms of payment would you consider saying "not worth the effort" when dealing with a publisher?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Paypal. Never had an issue with them.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly prefer not-PayPal, ideally a good old paper check as an option for those who do not want or trust electronic payments.

I, too, have ethical issues which make me loath to put one cent in PayPal's coffers.

Maryn, who needs to get some coffers

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I use to love Paypal, but recent months is starting to change my view. They keep holding my money for no apparent reason for weeks at a time and their support staff is incompetent. That said, when it works, it is more convenient to get paid electronically (at least for me anyway) then having to wait on a paper check to come through the mail.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with Paypal, either. The first time I had an account breach, I was expecting the resolution to be a nightmare but it was all solved within 72 hours of reporting the issue.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, even Bank of America was breached, and is breached routinely. I deal with markets, not pay systems. Money is money. I'd prefer a paper check, or a direct deposit, but I've had no issues with PayPal, and apparently they have no more issues than any other electronic system. Every bank in my small city has issues all too often, but what can anyone do about it?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I would prefer not to use PayPal, but it's really common and I've never let it be a reason to avoid an e-publisher. Even if a publisher does direct deposit or checks for Americans, if you're international, PayPal is often the only option, unless you want to open a US bank account. Which I don't want to do.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I once had a big headache with a UK publisher because they only issued checks, and it looked like it was going to cost half my payment to get it cashed in the US. Fortunately we managed to figure out another way.

Now that I'm traveling a lot, I much prefer an electronic method of payment even from US publishers.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a solitary problem with PayPal so far. I only keep $10 on account. I invoice, and when notified of payment, I have PP immediately move all but the ten to my bank. It's worth the small fees (under 3%), especially when payments come in US dollars from Canada, Dubai, and Singapore. PP's annual statement is great at tax time.

Like Maryn, I also accept checks. Two years ago, one bounced, but the publisher reissued the check from their right account, including my bank's fee for a returned check. Luckily, my account had enough to cover the temporary loss, or there would have been other problems.

One client pays by Western Union, which is nice because transmission fees are paid by the sender. Another perk is a WU terminal in my bank.

I haven't had to deal with money orders yet.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I had a problem with Paypal once, it left me very leery of using it again. But I've also heard many people say that it has worked just fine for them. Go figure...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether Paypal operates efficiently for most is not my issue with them. They have, in the past, decided they were the arbiter of what adult users could read and would not process payments for erotic fiction which did not meet with their approval. They were apparently pressured by banks and caved immediately.

Not cool.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They have, in the past, decided they were the arbiter of what adult users could read and would not process payments for erotic fiction which did not meet with their approval. They were apparently pressured by banks and caved immediately.

I agree censorship is not cool. In fact, it's downright wrong. I certainly have no ax to grind for PayPal as they're convenient rather than necessary. However, they did update their policies on erotic literature bans, and it's my understanding the original pressure on PayPal to censor was forced by certain controlling banks and credit card companies--not vice versa.

Again, censorship is against my core beliefs, and I wouldn't have knowingly dealt with any of the institutions censoring during or before 2004.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love PayPal. When so much of my writing is flash fiction and pubs usually pay by the word, I really wish they just wouldn't pay me at all because apparently I'm on an IRS list and have been audited three times already. Their ten or twenty bucks is likely to end up getting me flagged yet again because I'm far too stupid to keep up with it all, and anyway having to bother mailing in or delivering tiny checks to the bank is a pain. PayPal is easy and comes with a record at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I pay with all sorts of things: Cash money; Checks; PayPal and credit cards, etc.

Paypal has been convenient for me, and so far, I haven't had too much trouble with it. *knocks on wood*

I prefer credit cards or checks, but if it's a electronic purchase, then I don't mind paying PayPal (unless I run into problems with it).

ETA: Now, if you're talking about payments from pub to author, then I would take either checks or direct deposit.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've also used PayPal for years, and without any problems. And quite frankly, there'd be very few businesses I could work with if I had to agree with all of their "moral" decisions.

If a publisher wants to pay me - hell, I'll take it whatever form they want!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Paypal. Never had an issue with them.

Me either, but what I did do was create a separate bank account just for Paypal desposits. I get an email advising me of the deposit and then I transfer it into my main account. If it gets breached, which it never has, there won't be much in there anyway.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Never had an issue with Paypal and, as a UK writer who has sold a majority of stories to US markets, they're the only way to go if I don't want to lose half my money in bank charges.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Whether Paypal operates efficiently for most is not my issue with them. They have, in the past, decided they were the arbiter of what adult users could read and would not process payments for erotic fiction which did not meet with their approval. They were apparently pressured by banks and caved immediately.

Not cool.

I seriously doubt if anyone has ever been denied the right to read, write, or publish erotica because of PayPal. I don't know whether banks put pressure on them, or not, but I highly doubt it. From my understanding, lawyers did, and it's a shame they caved. But lawyers and lawsuits can put anyone out of business, so it's understandable. .

Anyone who wants to can read, write, or publish erotica, but no one has the right to tell me I have to be associated with it in any way, up to and including processing money that comes from it. Freedom is never a one way street. Freedom means both sides have rights, or neither side is free. You're the abitur of what you want to read, write or publish, but you are not the arbiter of what I, or anyone else, have to associate with.

Your sense of morality says it's fine to read, write, and publish erotica. Fine. But my sense of morality tells me it's an immoral activity, an immoral business, and that I should have no part of it. How about we're both allowed live as our sense of morality dictates?

It's amazing how often people complain that big business has no morals, but oh how they complain when a business makes a decision based on morality.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would use Paypal if at all able to. Just like I use Amazon and my bank. Each is a business with questionable ethics but at the end fo the day I am not going to undermine my own career and well-being by refusing to use a company with a dominant market share.

Yes it is remotely possible I could arbitrarily lose my Paypal account due to having painted a few nudes and written some erotica, but until then I just make sure I download the money to my own account regularly rather than risk losing it.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I've come across a few places that state "Payment by Paypal only."

Um, Paypal is a no go for me.

Then you're not writing for them. :)

I prefer large duffel bags filled with small denominations with non-sequential serial numbers, but I accept anything. I find many overseas (Non-US/Canada) publishers only pay by PayPal and, except for having to pay the fees and exchange rates, I'm fine with it. Never had an account hacked and I've been doing PayPal since the week it was invented.

Most US publishers are now doing direct deposit but some, especially smaller publishers and for smaller or one-time payments, are still mailing a check to me.

For me, it's money. And I can always use more.

Jeff

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Amazon and Barnes & Noble do direct deposits near the end of each months. They also issue paper 1099-R statements (or in email form if you choose that option).

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to can read, write, or publish erotica, but no one has the right to tell me I have to be associated with it in any way, up to and including processing money that comes from it.... You're the abitur of what you want to read, write or publish, but you are not the arbiter of what I, or anyone else, have to associate with.

And nobody here is telling you what you have to associate with, James. No one here is asking you to process their money, either, from what I can see.

Further, no one asked you to defend PayPal. It is every single individual's perfect right to choose whom they do business with, for whatever reason they like. You don't have to approve of it.

Why don't we just drop this little derail/can o' worms right here?

Thanks.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer large duffel bags filled with small denominations with non-sequential serial numbers, but I accept anything.

For any smut exotic literature I write or edit, I'm thinking of only accepting these older US $500 bills featuring the dirty old man:e2brows: and the lady with the wardrobe malfunction:e2file: .

money_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.