Including maps in stories / copyright

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
My main characters are on the run across North Africa. I'd like to include maps at the beginning of each chapter showing where they are at that point. I can get fairly decent ones on Google Maps and photoshop them to look old and tattered.

Anyone know what are the copyright issues on using maps?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My main characters are on the run across North Africa. I'd like to include maps at the beginning of each chapter showing where they are at that point. I can get fairly decent ones on Google Maps and photoshop them to look old and tattered.

Anyone know what are the copyright issues on using maps?

Here's the link to the permissions page for Google Maps. I found it by searching for copyright Google Maps.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're hoping for a trade publishing deal this is not something you need to worry about. Your publisher should take care of such things for you.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Permissions aside, be careful about over-Photoshopping. "Old and tattered" can easily be "utterly unreadable", especially if you're e-publishing and the picture will be seen on an eInk screen. (I've also seen some over-dark, illegible maps in print books, too.) As a reader, I'll take legibility over effect any day of the week. If you plan on self-publishing, and you're not proficient in creating graphics for print/e-books, you might consider consulting/hiring someone who is.

JMHO...