A follow-up question about subpoenaing a suspect's bank account (timescales), pretty please!

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
So... I've tweaked a few details from my last thread.

New scenario:
It's still August 2009. The bank accounts of two persons of interest were subpoenaed by the FBI, and it's now apparent there's a third person of interest. The team and their beloved Mr Tech Geek ;) investigating the case NEEDS access to this third bank account urgently. It's currently mid-afternoon.

Question:
What's the minimum amount of time it would take to get the subpoena and have it sent to the bank, and then get access to the account? A couple of hours? A day? Two days? Two hours would be wonderful (but sounds unlikely), the next day would work okay and two days later is just about do-able.

Many thanks and Merry Humbug!

:Hug2:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Is the push to get a search warrant a legitimate need or is it a story need?

Basically, the person in charge of the investigation contacts the attorney who is handling the matter. An investigator prepares an affidavit of what the suspected crime is and why the investigator expects the search warrant to disclose evidence that would help the investigator solve the crime. Attorney writes a motion saying why the search warrant is necessary and a proposed court order (the actual search warrant).

Attorney then faxes or emails the affidavit, motion, and proposed order to the court clerk. In a true emergency, the judge can do it a phone hearing. In an emergency, the judge can do this during non-business hours. Judge signs and it's returned to the attorney, who gives it to the investigator to execute.

Investigate can call the bank, and explain to the bank that a search warrant is coming and to stay around after closing. Banks like to keep on good terms with investigators.

In a kidnapping case, you can do this in less than an hour. If there's no rush, like a drug investigation, it will probably take a couple of days. If your emergency is something where everybody is going to be willing to drop everything else, it's quick.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, which I can easily weave in.

It's a: "We need to see if the money actually originated in this account, then we've got sufficient grounds to get a DNA sample and we might learn more about where that bad, bad lad is AND identify a body." Sounds downright weird but it works within the story. The main case is about a serial killer with a body count well in the teens, btw. Sounds even more weird, but it still works. Assorted law enforcement are dropping all manner of stuff, chasing around and generally not sleeping at the moment because an FBI agent is *possibly* one of Mr Bad Guy's targets.

Under those circumstances is 2-3 hours feasible? ;)

Cheers...

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
In the real world, probably not sufficient urgency to cause everybody to move it to the top of their list. You may be able to convince people in a story, however.

Matching the withdrawal and deposit, unless the money is marked or serial numbers are recorded, is going to be difficult. Among other things, is your character dumb enough to transfer the same amount? To get a order to obtain a DNA sample can be difficult. Judges don't like to issue orders to invade our bodies.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
There's already quite hefty circumstantial evidence linking the first two people (A and B), and the third (C) is strongly suspected to be linked to them both (B definitely, A probably). This was confirmed when a transaction from C was paid into B's bank account. The Feds suspect the money originally came from A, who paid it to C, and some of it was transferred from C to B. If the Feds prove the link between A and C they can justify asking for a DNA sample (trust me, it's relevant).

When access to the third account is gained, they'll find the amounts of money being transferred from A to C are always the same and occur on the same day. Person A has always been very careful to cover his tracks, but on more than one occasion he's been arrogant enough to think he'll never get caught because he's too clever. And, now the Long Arm of the Law is a-reachin' he's also making silly mistakes - which will eventually lead to his downfall.

Person A is the Mr Bad Guy, who's murdered nearly twenty people in the last twenty years and they now suspect he's after one of their agents.

And, when the person they need the DNA from learns why it's needed they're happy to supply the goods if it'll help stitch up Mr Bad Guy. The warrant is more for the benefit for the DNA donor's father, who's a high-powered attourney and renowned throughout the city for being a P.I.T.A.

Cheers me dears!

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, judges are doubters, and defense attorneys that can get the search warrant thrown out will sometimes throw out the entire case.

Personally I'd suggest wire transfers as the easiest to track, although it makes your characters idiots. (Caveat here is that America's Dumbest Criminals has a lot of material to work with.)

A bank has a bunch of transactions. A big bank over a thousand transaction each day. So the investigate comes into court and testifies that A withdrew $5k and B immediately deposited $5k into his bank account. Investigates insists they must be connected. Defense counsel gets up and asks investigator how many deposits of $5k were made in all of the banks in the area. Investigator goes, "Duh." Defense counsel whips out a piece of paper showing $5k deposits for the 24 hour period after the withdrawal. Defense counsel asks investigator how many of these the investigator checked? Investigator goes, "None."

Defense counsel spends the next half hour pounding this point home, and making the investigator look like an idiot. Finally defense counsel, tiring of the game, asks the investigator how he knows the $5k is the same? Investigator hangs head, and says, "I don't."

Defense counsel asks the judge that everything from the search warrant be thrown out and the case dismissed. Judge will give the prosecutor a couple of minutes to try to save his case, and then the judge will dismiss.

Our clients may be idiots, but defense attorneys are usually not. So far you haven't convinced me that you're going to be able to use the evidence.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, but to convince you I'd have to give away a large chunk of plot. ;) This is just the tip of the iceberg - there's plenty of more definite stuff coming up later in the story, including a money wire (through a third party) from NV to England. Whilst I'm trying to maintain accuracy, sometimes I'll allow a little bit of slack in the name of fiction.

I might also imply that Boss Fed called in a favour/had some dirt on the Judge in order to get a subpoena for B's account details. Getting one for A's accounts wasn't be an issue, they've had those details for a while and tried to use transactions to track his movements, although A has been crafty and not used his card/made cash withdrawals outside the three main cities/regions he regularly visits.

On paper the link doesn't look 100% conclusive, it's strong circumstantial evidence at best. This is, however, enough to make character B 'fess up. You know the type who are desperate to unload? Yeah, that's B - intelligent, yet a lot more naïve than you'd expect. B hasn't actually commited a crime and is worried that even being associated with A might ruin their career. Tell all and remove yourself from the spotlight.

I know, infuriatingly vague!

Cheers...

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
First off, it's not hard finding a judge to sign off on a warrant. Prosecutors track judges they like the same as the defense attorneys. I had one case where we waited four months for a specific judge to show up. This judge was the only one in the state where the plea deal would fly. (It was very, very good for my client, and the State had made a massive screw up.) So finding a judge for a search warrant isn't difficult.

But here's where it goes downhill for you. Police use search warrant, get some evidence, and have a chat with witness. The police use the evidence from the search warrant to get the witness to talk. If the search warrant is not a good warrant, then the chat becomes the fruit of that bad warrant and the chat is thrown out. (Understand here I'm talking very broad principles and there's a big variety of results here.)

Cop shows use all sorts of stuff that isn't allowed but is great for drama and improving the pacing of the show. Good cops are almost anal about evidence. They make sure that nothing is going to screw them up.

Yes, there are some bad cops out there, and I've gotten lucky and had some of them in cases. Most cops are good at their jobs, and Feds tend to be a higher caliber than local cops. State police tend to be a very mixed bag.

Remember you want problems for your protagonist. You don't want it to be easy.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, believe me when I say Mr Bad Guy is leading lots of people a merry dance.

This is needed to clear up the circumstances surrounding some earlier forensic countermeasures and get a conclusive DNA sample about something else. By the time all the threads are woven together this is but a drop in the ocean! Person B tells all, gets a pat on the back and leaves with their reputation (and that of their family) intact. B's daddy (the hot-shot lawyer) is happy and the police, etc are happy because it means they don't have the hassle of arranging to exhume bodies (in CO) or requesting DNA samples from England.

Like I said, he's not making life easy for them... ;)