PDA

View Full Version : Jamming radio signal with two way

Mr.Letterman
12-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Hello again everyone :)

I have another tech question, but this one is regarding two-way radios.

I want to use two two-ways to create a remote detonator, but their is treachery by another when they try to blow charges.
A third party is jamming the frequency they have set the two-way that is attached to the charge, so they are unable to detonate the explosive.

My question is if someone is jamming a radio frequency, if you pressed the 'call' button on the two way, even though you can't hear the pulse, ring or dial (different for all two-ways), would the signal still go through and cause the detonation?

I've used several different two ways and from memory (was a few years ago now) they all had a 'call' button or something with similar properties. I hope this makes sense. For example, if I was blocking a frequency, a person could scream into the receiver and no one would hear it, but would other radio's hear the actual signal itself, creating an electric spark within detonated two way

Thanks again everyone

Drachen Jager
12-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Are you thinking of when you press the call button how you can't hear the other person on the end talking?

'Cause that's not jamming shit.

The call button just mutes your speaker so you don't get nasty feedback as your signal loops. Jamming is something different entirely and the effect would depend on the type of jammer used. AFAIK, most jammers just pump out a powerful signal on the bandwidth, white noise essentially. That only works if you have a very powerful transmitter within effective range of the bomb.

With all that in mind, can you clarify the question?

Mr.Letterman
12-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I've read up a little so far, and its basically what you're saying. But I think I've shot myself in the foot anyway with that idea because if someone was running on the same frequency to jam said frequency, the explosives would detonate anyway.

Yay....I love plot holes. :(

Thanks again Drachen Jager. Your help has been consistently indispensable.

Drachen Jager
12-21-2015, 08:10 AM
That is the risk of jamming a signal intended to detonate explosives, yeah.

You could put some sort of digital code into the signal, so the bomb doesn't go off for random noise, but how would the people doing the jamming know how it was set up? Also, why use a radio at all when cell phones are ubiquitous and can be easily used to detonate a bomb with nearly zero risk of a premature detonation. Hook the bomb's trigger to the receiving phone's speaker, set that phone to only ring when your call phone's number is the one calling, any wrong number won't accidentally set it off and even someone with a tiny bit of electronics skill can set it up. Setting a bomb to a radio is much more complicated, unless you buy a radio trigger.

What I'm saying is there are good reasons why most fictional plots involving remote-detonated bombs use cell phones these days. The only advantage radios have is you can use them if cell service is interrupted or if you're in an area with no reception, but there's not much worth blowing up where there's no reception.

Oh I forgot another advantage to cells, nearly unlimited range. You don't even have to be on the same continent to detonate.