Have you checked your link popularity?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
For blogs link popularity index is an important thing. Well, I guess most of you know about it much more earlier than me. I just discovered about this matter 3-4 weeks ago. http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/ is one of the best places to check your link popularity. The figure for my blog is more than 52,000. Well, much credit goes to Know More Media (business blog) Network. If you had not checked your link popularity, you can give it a try.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Wow. I suck.

Google/ AOL: 0
HotBot: 0
MSN: 8
Yahoo!/ FAST/ AltaVista: 21
Dmoz: [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click to View [/font]
Excite / Magellan: [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click to View [/font]
iWon Search: [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click to View [/font]
Lycos Pro: [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click to View [/font]
WiseNut: [font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Click to View
[/font]

Sobering reality strikes again.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
If you are serious about blogging then this thing matters just like Technorati. However, building backlinks take time and effort. One way to increase links is to write comments in other blogs.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
razibahmed - I would caution you that there are different interpretations of 'serious' blogging. For some it's more commercial - like you, but for others it's the social network we're building or the contributions we can make to peers, etc.

Your advice about commenting is well taken - I agree it's the way to build networks, but many of us aren't that interested in increasing links...so just take that into consideration, please.

And, unless you misunderstand, we value and appreciate your participation and enthusiasm, you're an asset to the forum!

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Dawno said:
razibahmed - I would caution you that there are different interpretations of 'serious' blogging. For some it's more commercial - like you, but for others it's the social network we're building or the contributions we can make to peers, etc.

Your advice about commenting is well taken - I agree it's the way to build networks, but many of us aren't that interested in increasing links...so just take that into consideration, please.

And, unless you misunderstand, we value and appreciate your participation and enthusiasm, you're an asset to the forum!

Thanks for your comment. Yes I agree with you that there are different interpretations of 'serious' blogging. I am trying for my society too in my personal blog: http://write-translate.blogspot.com/ ( I am among very few people trying to promote Bangla literature in English language).
Anyway, I got the point and I will try my best to follow your advice 100%.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:cry: The only way I know how to get people to visit my blog is to comment on other people's.

Why, oh why, was I born rich and beautiful instead of tech-saavy like you people? Linkbacks, trackbacks....I can't even get Technorati to work right for me....:Shrug:

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Unique said:
:cry: The only way I know how to get people to visit my blog is to comment on other people's.

Why, oh why, was I born rich and beautiful instead of tech-saavy like you people? Linkbacks, trackbacks....I can't even get Technorati to work right for me....:Shrug:
You're soooooooooooo not alone! I'm in the same boat . . . minus the rich and beautiful part . . .

Flood

If it is really important to you to get link/trackbacks/more traffic generally, Lorrelle from lorelle.wordpress.com has some tips. (And no, I am not Lorelle)

So, here are a few tips for getting those blog traffic stats to skyrocket. And I’ll warn you in advance, it’s a bit satirical.

• Get someone to say something awful about you in a highly visible place on the web.
  • Say something awful about someone in a highly visible place on the web, and make sure to include a link to your blog.
  • Write something argumentative and inciteful. Then spread the word.
  • Write a Top 20 List.
  • Make up a lot of fake name registrations on Digg and del.icio.us and submit your posts there. Score your posts really high.
  • Use a very provocative title. Remember, sex sells.
  • Poke fun or meanness at a famous bloggers with a link to the post you are attacking, so a trackback will appear in the comments highlighting your nasty poke.
  • Get to know a famous blogger and together, plan a big public fight. Involve others in the fight.
  • Invent and/or write about something everyone needs to solve all of their problems all of the time. Then get it put on Digg or Slashdot.

From her blog.

I am new. She might be a member here and/or everyone already saw this earlier. Apologies if this is redundant.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....I think I've got the title thing going on....but being mean isn't my style.

Snarky, yes. Downright rude, probably not. I usually keep my claws sheathed - but I will bat someone about the head and shoulders - in a vigorous kitty cat style.

>''<

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Mine came up average, which pleased me in some respects. I am glad I am not in the suck catagory, but the artist in me doesn't care for 'average.'

I submitted it in Entertainment, because I couldn't see writing or poetry, I didn't think to look for photograpy. It was fun none the less. I get traffic from here, and commenting on other blogs. I use a site meter also. The numbers go up when I am more active with blogging.

Unique: I have seen that cat style! The paws blur don't they?

Flood

Hi Dawno

Thank you for the welcome. I just started a blog this week, but I am not confident enough to spread the URL around the net yet. I am still getting used to the navigation, working on presentation, and of course, filling it up with content.

I do I have a question about blog etiquette though: Is it bad form to add a blog to your blogroll without communicating with the author first? I have added a few to mine mostly for quick reference for me, but haven't asked if that was all right. No complaints so far, but I haven't been around long.

I did add the Water Cooler to my links, though. Great forum.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Flood said:
Hi Dawno

Thank you for the welcome. I just started a blog this week, but I am not confident enough to spread the URL around the net yet. I am still getting used to the navigation, working on presentation, and of course, filling it up with content.

I do I have a question about blog etiquette though: Is it bad form to add a blog to your blogroll without communicating with the author first? I have added a few to mine mostly for quick reference for me, but haven't asked if that was all right. No complaints so far, but I haven't been around long.

I did add the Water Cooler to my links, though. Great forum.

Flood, I'm pretty sure that folk don't mind one bit being added without being asked. You can always mention in the comments on their blog that you liked reading and have linked.
Natasya said:

Welcome Natasya!

I'd like to recommend that you add your blogs and a brief intro up in the Absolute Write Bloggers' thread - that's where folk look for new blogs.

Queen Bee

Yeah, I obsess........ just a little bit. Ok. A lot a bit. ;) Every site i have has to have lots of statistics. :)

Queen Bee

arg, those link pop statistics are scarey!

Here are my two, definitely gonna have to work on them. Not bad I guess for newbie sites though, right?

www.book-bee.com 5 0 0 4 1
www.blogsforreaders.com 439 0 0 439 0

Thanks for the link though. One more thing to check every so often. :) Now to figure out how to get rid of the zeros...