PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else walk out of The Force Awakens? (Spoilers for 1st 15 minutes, if that counts)

Kevin Nelson
12-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Things went downhill for me from literally the first frame. The font color on "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...." looked off--sort of greenish. I know that may seem like an incredibly nitpicky complaint, but we're talking about a pretty iconic title card here. You'd think they could at least get the color right.

Then we get the opening crawl, which informs us the First Order has risen from the ashes of the Empire. All right, but do the First Order and the Republic each control half the Galaxy? Is there war between them, or some sort of uneasy truce? Or is the First Order just established on some hidden bases here and there? Is it really asking too much for the opening crawl to clarify that???

Then the first 15 minutes are practically a remake of the first 15 minutes of A New Hope. Stormtroopers come crashing in. A menacing guy in a dark outfit and a mask is revealed as their leader. One of the good guys gets taken prisoner, but first manages to give vital information for a plucky droid to relay. The plucky droid goes out into the desert and winds up being captured by some weird creature. Then the plucky droid encounters a lead character, who would like to be friendly but isn't quite sure what's going on....

15 minutes was all I could take. I was thinking if I want to watch Episode IV, I'll watch Episode IV!!! So I walked out. I'm afraid at this point I simply can't make myself care what plot twists or revelations might await in the remaining two hours of the movie.

I know I have a duty to watch this movie and appreciate it as best I can. It's gotten 95% positive reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, and lots of people are saying things like "It really does live up to the hype!" So there has to be something I'm missing. I'm going to try to get myself in a different frame of mind over the next few days and then try to see the movie again. But I'm not totally sure how to go about doing that. Suggestions, anyone? Is anyone else in a similar predicament?

Sheryl Nantus
12-18-2015, 06:02 PM
You might find this review interesting...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/18/10543196/star-wars-the-force-awakens-a-new-hope-nostalgia

Wiskel
12-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I'm in the "loved it" camp.

Familiar, sure, but different enough.
I got to catch up with old friends but I left the cinema with some new ones.

Not sure if I can add much more without spoilers, and i don't want to be that guy, so i'll just say this:

Speed dates might seem like a good idea, but wouldn't you rather have seen both the strengths and flaws of a person before you ditch them?

I really don't know if you'll like the film based on how strong your reaction to the first couple of scenes are, but it's worth a second date, even if it doesn't turn out to be the next love of your life.

Craig

Cyia
12-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Inconsistencies in color are more likely due to the screen than the film.

LittlePinto
12-18-2015, 08:48 PM
To be honest I can't bring myself to care enough to get down to the theater and shell out my nine bucks. I'm just exhausted by the whole thing.

I am, however, rooting for it to break Jurassic World's record for opening weekend and I hope that it is everything the fans have been praying for.

Stiger05
12-18-2015, 09:36 PM
I commented on this in the other thread, but I feel like the similarities to A New Hope were intentional to ground fans in the type of movies Abrams intends on making. If it were too different, I think fans would be leery, afraid of another prequel trilogy mess. Sure, this approach won't work for everyone, but I personally thought it was a great way to ground the new series in the feel of the original, while giving us something new to look forward to. I'm hoping the next moves twist and turn in ways we're not expecting, but I think it was a satisfying start.

And like Wiskel said, it's hard to judge something accurately if you don't give it a fair chance. Walking out before you can see the whole picture is a missed opportunity. I would give it a second chance, watch the whole thing, and then see how you feel. If you feel the same, fair enough, but at least stick it out.

WriterDude
12-19-2015, 12:50 AM
I thought this was joke nerd rage thread. Is it not?

Diana Hignutt
12-19-2015, 01:09 AM

Has to be, right?

cornflake
12-19-2015, 01:30 AM
To be honest I can't bring myself to care enough to get down to the theater and shell out my nine bucks. I'm just exhausted by the whole thing.

I am, however, rooting for it to break Jurassic World's record for opening weekend and I hope that it is everything the fans have been praying for.

I think it's going to break pretty much every record for openers. I'm commenting mainly though, because... nine bucks?! My local theatre is up to *$19* for a regular, non-3D ticket. The 3D is $24.50 I think. I tend to buy passes but still, sometimes the non-pass theatre is better and that's about the same price.

Diana Hignutt
12-19-2015, 01:35 AM
I think it's going to break pretty much every record for openers. I'm commenting mainly though, because... nine bucks?! My local theatre is up to *$19* for a regular, non-3D ticket. The 3D is $24.50 I think. I tend to buy passes but still, sometimes the non-pass theatre is better and that's about the same price.

Ha, I've got my ticket for tomorrow morning (Sat. Dec. 14) at 9 am in a theater with stadium seating and recliners, Matinee with fandango charges was like !2.50 USD.

cornflake
12-19-2015, 01:36 AM
Ha, I've got my ticket for tomorrow morning (Sat. Dec. 14) at 9 am in a theater with stadium seating and recliners, Matinee with fandango charges was like !2.50 USD.

:e2thud:

Stiger05
12-19-2015, 01:45 AM
Wow, Cornflake, that's high! Ours' were $11.65 each with tax for 3D at the night showing at a theater where you choose your seats ahead of time (the only place I'll watch premiers now--I've gotten spoiled on not fighting for good seats!).

CrastersBabies
12-19-2015, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure what you are honestly looking for. I kind of walked out on your original post after you were complaining about the FONT being off.

I honestly don't think anyone can change your mind on this. Sorry. Probably best if you just skip it. Not trying to be rude, but... Yeah. If you're hyper hung up on every little detail, it's kind of futile to persuade you. Perhaps there is something more to your liking out this holiday that will suffice. Good luck!

Cyia
12-19-2015, 02:26 AM
I honestly can't imagine getting opening night tickets, waiting the average of 3 hours *in* the theater seat before the show started, and then leaving before the half-hour mark. Unless the opening involved lightsaber-practice-by-puppy-decapitation, or skeet shooting for Ewoks, it would take a lot to get me to leave.

LittlePinto
12-19-2015, 02:33 AM

I go to matinees and buy at the box office. I'm a cheap movie-goer. :)

I'll probably see the film when the hype dies down a bit...so when school is back in session in January, I guess.

(Also, I don't concern myself with spoilers. Spoil away, folks.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
12-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Has to be, right?Surely. First the font color's too different, then the plot's too the same. It was only missing something about the droid's vocalizations being in the wrong key.

ETA: Though I mean this as just gentle joshing, Kevin, from a self-professed nerd.

cornflake
12-19-2015, 07:31 AM

I'll probably see the film when the hype dies down a bit...so when school is back in session in January, I guess.

(Also, I don't concern myself with spoilers. Spoil away, folks.)

We don't have matinee pricing 'round here really. I think a couple theatres might but not near me, and I think those are only before 11am.

Roxxsmom
12-19-2015, 08:09 AM
I probably won't see it until after Christmas, and we'll save a few bucks going to a matinee, though it might depend. 3D regular tickets here in Sacramento are going for 15 bucks on Fandango for showings later tonight. Regular shows are 11.50.

Matinee prices are 12.00 USD for 3D and 8.50 for regular. It looks like it really depends on the local economy.

Brightdreamer
12-19-2015, 08:14 AM
I honestly can't imagine getting opening night tickets, waiting the average of 3 hours *in* the theater seat before the show started, and then leaving before the half-hour mark. Unless the opening involved lightsaber-practice-by-puppy-decapitation, or skeet shooting for Ewoks, it would take a lot to get me to leave.

Skeet shooting for Ewoks reminds me of an old favorite PC game, Star Warped (by Parroty Interactive), and the Whack-The-Ewok mini-game, where you used a pole to knock Ewoks off a rope bridge. Nearly busted a gut laughing the first time I played it through, with Darth Vader encouraging your evil: "Use the pole, Luke!" "How can something so bad feel so good? .... Oooh, sooo good!" Sadly, the thing's too primitive to run on my current computer, even in emulator mode...

When I first saw this, I thought it was an issue with the audience; I've been to a couple fan-heavy premieres, and there are a few who can't seem to settle down even when the screen lights up. Otherwise... yeah, don't get going through that to leave that soon. But if it rubbed the OP the wrong way, it rubbed them the wrong way.

Incidentally, someone I know from work got reserved seating for the Thursday night premiere... and, apparently, he got tickets to the next showing and went right back for more.

I can wait for the crowds to thin a bit, myself... besides, I still want to see Mockingjay in theaters, if possible, though holiday stuff's been keeping me busy. Star Wars is gonna be around for a few weeks, I expect.

LittlePinto
12-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Skeet shooting for Ewoks reminds me of an old favorite PC game, Star Warped (by Parroty Interactive), and the Whack-The-Ewok mini-game, where you used a pole to knock Ewoks off a rope bridge. Nearly busted a gut laughing the first time I played it through, with Darth Vader encouraging your evil: "Use the pole, Luke!" "How can something so bad feel so good? .... Oooh, sooo good!" Sadly, the thing's too primitive to run on my current computer, even in emulator mode...

When I first saw this, I thought it was an issue with the audience; I've been to a couple fan-heavy premieres, and there are a few who can't seem to settle down even when the screen lights up. Otherwise... yeah, don't get going through that to leave that soon. But if it rubbed the OP the wrong way, it rubbed them the wrong way.

Incidentally, someone I know from work got reserved seating for the Thursday night premiere... and, apparently, he got tickets to the next showing and went right back for more.

I can wait for the crowds to thin a bit, myself... besides, I still want to see Mockingjay in theaters, if possible, though holiday stuff's been keeping me busy. Star Wars is gonna be around for a few weeks, I expect.

Just a few. :)

I went to the midnight showing of Attack of the Clones. The best part was people watching while standing in line outside of the theater. The cosplayers' impromptu lightsaber duels were hilarious.

It was also pretty cool to be a part of an audience that was reacting to the film as a unit.

Every so often it's fun to go to the first showing on opening night. I just didn't have it in me for this one.

Danehk
12-19-2015, 11:59 AM
THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS : BOTH IN PLOT AND EXPECTATIONS.

I really wanted to like this movie, really bad, but I hated it. It didn't help that the previews were for Captain America number five hundred, I thought how much of this super hero money grabbing crap are we supposed to endure? A good, or bad, indication was that there was a mother with a new born child in the theater. Hearing that baby continually cry was more enjoyable than sitting through two hours of this, which felt like four hours of torture.

If this were a standalone movie, without the baggage and expectation of toy sales, it would have been passable. As a continuation in a series, it was unacceptable. I wanted to walk out after 15 minutes, but I'd paid my 30 bucks for myself and my teenage son, so I was stuck. I tried my best to hide my contempt and boredom from my son as to not ruin his experience, but I couldn't.

The first 15 minutes are a copy of A New Hope - hidden plans in a droid that must make it through. The last 30 minutes are a copy of A New Hope - avoid the guns and destroy the new Death Star through some careless oversight in the defenses. Please, it is an insult and embarrassment to the script writers, and public if you are over 30 years of age. We've already seen it. The middle is some mumbo jumbo unexplained crap to enable Han Solo to be the always reluctant hero. You could see on Harrison's face the expression that said I'm getting paid for this one more time right, then I'm done, correct?

The new young hero cast of Rey and Fin have just graduated from the school of : Should I over act with wide eyed, open mouth angst, then over do it just a bit more?. They pass with distinction. Facial subtlety are not words the director knows how to convey. But I suppose fifteen year old boys don't register subtlety, so … Hayden Christenson? deserves a posthumous oscar compared to this.

Naturally this movie will make billions, the toy companies are relying on it, but isn't that what Hollywood now exists for? Art is secondary, wallets are first? Sell crap and reap the rewards. When people realize they have been ripped off, no one is prepared to give a refund. The cinematography is outstanding though, I recommend you admire the landscapes.

John Williams gives a great musical score, as expected. Would the whole series have even gotten off the cutting floor without him? Possibly not. It is said that the best score will go unnoticed at the time of viewing, only to be appreciated afterwards for the emotional manipulation it provides.

Everyone has already prejudged and decided they will love it ( I did, sadly) and will justify in their mind the reasons so. But as this is a writers forum, I found the script writing to be lazy and too reliant on the past. If you are going to heavily plagiarize the past, be honest and say it is a remake, or reboot in reality, do not pass it off as something new. I find the word franchise to be insulting when it comes to art. This should not be just a money making venture, but an artistic venture. And so the franchise will live on regardless what I think. May the franchise be with you.

Kevin Nelson
12-19-2015, 04:07 PM

Not a joke, and nothing enraged me...the movie just made me feel sort of annoyed and disengaged. It's true, of course, that 15 minutes isn't enough to give it a fair evaluation. I just find it hard to stay in a theater once a movie starts actively annoying me. (Among people who know me, I'm actually pretty notorious for walking out of movies.)

As I said, I'm going to try to adjust my frame of mind and see it again.

WriterDude
12-19-2015, 04:13 PM
^^ The landscapes are pretty much all I ever took from star wars. The characters and story never really swayed me. That and the Falcon, best ship design ever.

Looking forward to this appearing on Netflix or Now TV next year.

Cyia
12-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I find it interesting that I've heard multiple people compare the chemistry between Daisy Ridley and John Boyega to Hepburn and Tracy or Bogie and Bacall. One, it implies that there's a strong fanbase in the groups familiar with those four, and two that's some pretty hefty company to be placed in. Chemistry between the leads is one thing you can't fake, and it's awesome when you get a cast that clicks.

Also, I wonder how much of the early elation (and derision) has more to do with the showing than the film. There's a lot of hype and a lot of stress involved with a mega-property's first showing. There's no way that kind of environment doesn't affect the quality of your viewing experience for the better or worse.

Kevin Nelson
12-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Good grief, did most people really have to wait that long? Where I went, there was no wait at all. In fact, the theater was mostly empty. I was sort of surprised, given that it was opening night for a movie that had so much anticipation built up for it.

WriterDude
12-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Not a joke, and nothing enraged me...the movie just made me feel sort of annoyed and disengaged. It's true, of course, that 15 minutes isn't enough to give it a fair evaluation. I just find it hard to stay in a theater once a movie starts actively annoying me. (Among people who know me, I'm actually pretty notorious for walking out of movies.)

As I said, I'm going to try to adjust my frame of mind and see it again.

Fifteen minutes is a bit extreme, but i sat through You've Got Mail to the bitter end so I guess we're very different people.

I knew some Christians that walked from South Park the movie, and a girlfriend that couldn't bear the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, but that's all.

Oldbrasscat
12-19-2015, 04:22 PM
It's interesting how people take those obvious callbacks to A New Hope. I'd given up on the franchise, but the offer of free tickets was enough to get me in the door, out of curiosity if nothing else. And I recognized that a lot of the elements were similar. But I ended up enjoying it, because it didn't take itself too seriously, and the nostalgia wasn't overdone. It felt, to me, like a film representation of something you see in novels all the time--the current young, clueless hero treading the exact same path as some ancient revered hero, but with hopefully a different ending, since the revered hero was only able to win a partial victory, and at great cost to himself.

I suspect these three movies are going to borrow heavily from The Hero's Journey, just like the original trilogy did. Which means we're going to see a lot more echoes of the originals as we go through the steps.

But, dear heavens, what was up with Carrie Fisher's mouth? She looked like it was wired shut through the whole thing.

Diana Hignutt
12-19-2015, 09:25 PM

I really wanted to like this movie, really bad, but I hated it. It didn't help that the previews were for Captain America number five hundred, I thought how much of this super hero money grabbing crap are we supposed to endure? A good, or bad, indication was that there was a mother with a new born child in the theater. Hearing that baby continually cry was more enjoyable than sitting through two hours of this, which felt like four hours of torture.

If this were a standalone movie, without the baggage and expectation of toy sales, it would have been passable. As a continuation in a series, it was unacceptable. I wanted to walk out after 15 minutes, but I'd paid my 30 bucks for myself and my teenage son, so I was stuck. I tried my best to hide my contempt and boredom from my son as to not ruin his experience, but I couldn't.

The first 15 minutes are a copy of A New Hope - hidden plans in a droid that must make it through. The last 30 minutes are a copy of A New Hope - avoid the guns and destroy the new Death Star through some careless oversight in the defenses. Please, it is an insult and embarrassment to the script writers, and public if you are over 30 years of age. We've already seen it. The middle is some mumbo jumbo unexplained crap to enable Han Solo to be the always reluctant hero. You could see on Harrison's face the expression that said I'm getting paid for this one more time right, then I'm done, correct?

The new young hero cast of Rey and Fin have just graduated from the school of : Should I over act with wide eyed, open mouth angst, then over do it just a bit more?. They pass with distinction. Facial subtlety are not words the director knows how to convey. But I suppose fifteen year old boys don't register subtlety, so Hayden Christenson? deserves a posthumous oscar compared to this.

Naturally this movie will make billions, the toy companies are relying on it, but isn't that what Hollywood now exists for? Art is secondary, wallets are first? Sell crap and reap the rewards. When people realize they have been ripped off, no one is prepared to give a refund. The cinematography is outstanding though, I recommend you admire the landscapes.

John Williams gives a great musical score, as expected. Would the whole series have even gotten off the cutting floor without him? Possibly not. It is said that the best score will go unnoticed at the time of viewing, only to be appreciated afterwards for the emotional manipulation it provides.

Everyone has already prejudged and decided they will love it ( I did, sadly) and will justify in their mind the reasons so. But as this is a writers forum, I found the script writing to be lazy and too reliant on the past. If you are going to heavily plagiarize the past, be honest and say it is a remake, or reboot in reality, do not pass it off as something new. I find the word franchise to be insulting when it comes to art. This should not be just a money making venture, but an artistic venture. And so the franchise will live on regardless what I think. May the franchise be with you.

this is not entirely unfair, actually.

Rufus Coppertop
12-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I know I have a duty to watch this movie and appreciate it as best I can. No, you don't. Seriously. You really, really do not have such a duty.

People can genuinely like it or allow themselves to be swayed by hype until their faces turn blue and the fact remains that neither you nor anyone else has a duty to like a particular movie.

I will not be going to see it. In one of the prequels George Lucas did not consider a sensible script that actually made sense to be important. Apparently the aim was to "find the movie" in post production. In the same or a different prequel, The Force, a mystical, magical, spiritual type of energy turns out to be generated by crap in your blood.......so why not give an IV transfusion to make more Jedis?

AT-ATs that walk when antigravity exists and large ships can just lift off or hover? AT-ATs that have their only guns fixed to their heads so as to severely limit their fields of fire in a civilization that doesn't need to apply such ridiculous limitations?

A plot that repeats large slices of previous plots including yet another Death Star?

Fuck that.

So there has to be something I'm missing. Maybe you're not missing anything. Maybe you're getting something and just not liking it.

You don't have a duty to like it and you don't have a duty to hand a portion of your hard-earned money to someone who has contempt for the concept of good writing.

CheesecakeMe
12-19-2015, 10:54 PM
While I've zero interest in spending money on the franchise, I've been enjoying watching the fan reactions to the movie. Currently those nostalgia goggles are pretty much super-glued to their faces, this movie can do no wrong no matter what right now, but I wonder if people will eventually turn on this movie like they did the prequels? The ratings on Rotten Tomatoes are pretty useless currently, I remember The Phantom Menace had a 90% rating when it came out, too.
It's interesting to watch and theorize.

Stiger05
12-19-2015, 11:01 PM
Just a few. :)

I went to the midnight showing of Attack of the Clones. The best part was people watching while standing in line outside of the theater. The cosplayers' impromptu lightsaber duels were hilarious.

It was also pretty cool to be a part of an audience that was reacting to the film as a unit.

Every so often it's fun to go to the first showing on opening night. I just didn't have it in me for this one.

That's what I love about opening night. The people watching, the cos players, the camaraderie with the crowd, the whole feeling of shared excitement with a bunch of strangers. I went to most of the Harry Potter midnight showings and it was great.

Errant Lobe
12-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Inconsistencies in color are more likely due to the screen than the film.

I saw the film last night. The text color was perfectly according to tradition. It was your local theatre's projection system. They need to have their faulty equipment repaired.

Errant Lobe
12-19-2015, 11:25 PM
I applaud J.J. Abram's decision to deliver a solid story. I was disappointed because I wanted more spectacle to show off the alien worldbuilding.
That is not the movie's fault, no doubt things like time and budget played a role. If I am honest, I will admit that I crave the total immersion of Avatar.
I overheard two young-seeming high schoolers comment as they were leaving the auditorium,
"I came in here expecting more. But, this was just a waste of time."

Sheryl Nantus
12-20-2015, 02:33 AM
No, you don't. Seriously. You really, really do not have such a duty.

People can genuinely like it or allow themselves to be swayed by hype until their faces turn blue and the fact remains that neither you nor anyone else has a duty to like a particular movie.

I will not be going to see it. In one of the prequels George Lucas did not consider a sensible script that actually made sense to be important. Apparently the aim was to "find the movie" in post production. In the same or a different prequel, The Force, a mystical, magical, spiritual type of energy turns out to be generated by crap in your blood.......so why not give an IV transfusion to make more Jedis?

AT-ATs that walk when antigravity exists and large ships can just lift off or hover? AT-ATs that have their only guns fixed to their heads so as to severely limit their fields of fire in a civilization that doesn't need to apply such ridiculous limitations?

A plot that repeats large slices of previous plots including yet another Death Star?

Fuck that.

Maybe you're not missing anything. Maybe you're getting something and just not liking it.

You don't have a duty to like it and you don't have a duty to hand a portion of your hard-earned money to someone who has contempt for the concept of good writing.

This.

I saw Star Wars the first night it opened - my mother, who bounced me on her knee while watching the original Star Trek, took me that night and we were both in awe.

The hubby and I probably will pass on this until it hits Netflix. The hype, the overhype annoys me to no end with the food, the damned car commercials and the endless promotion.

And yes, it seems like a rerun of A New Hope, much like Abrams decided to do with Star Trek's second movie by retelling the Khan story.

I'm sure it's great for this generation - but I expect more. But that's what I get for being old...

;)

katiemac
12-20-2015, 03:07 AM
And yes, it seems like a rerun of A New Hope, much like Abrams decided to do with Star Trek's second movie by retelling the Khan story.

I'm sure it's great for this generation - but I expect more. But that's what I get for being old...

;)

I haven't seen the movie but this is what some of my friends are saying. I've got friends eating it up, others are more pragmatic and saying it's a tad too nostalgic for its own good. (Then again, J.J. himself is sort of turning out to be too nostalgic for his own good.)

But moreover I expect there's some pressure to "play it safe" with this one. We have two more sequels on the way, plus plans for a lot of spin-offs -- we can basically expect a new Star Wars movie once a year until the end of time. They make this one to win back the fans to the franchise and the next movies are the ones that can experiment.

Errant Lobe
12-20-2015, 03:18 AM
No, you don't. Seriously. You really, really do not have such a duty.

Fuck that.

Maybe you're not missing anything. Maybe you're getting something and just not liking it.

Which, brings me back to the question:
You have tons of money, access to the greatest riches of scientific prowess that the golden touch of Hollywood exposes you to,
Yet, no amount of trial can deliver a greatly scripted feature film.

Why? Why? WHY?

Rhoda Nightingale
12-20-2015, 03:43 AM
I agree with katiemac. I saw it on Thursday at midnight and had a blast. There was nothing off or different about the opening crawl except the stars in the background looked a wee bit sharper. And honestly, the opening crawl has never been that compelling for me, in any of the movies--it's a prologue. Half the publishers out there tell you to skip it these days.

It is very nostalgia-driven, but having been raised on the original trilogy, hating the prequels on the first go-round and then warming up to them slightly as the years went by and I started compartmentalizing the things I didn't like about it (Jar-Jar, the dialogue, the love story, the midichlorians) versus the things I actually liked (the fight choreography, the set pieces, Obi-Wan, Ian McDiarmid, the music), I absolutely adored this one and want to go again right now. (Was planning on it actually, but my other party punked out on me and I guess I'm waiting on my rewatch until Christmas. Which is fine--whatever. I had my perfect opening night, and I'm happy.)

SPOILERS for the actual reason I loved this so much: We have a female protagonist. Who is a Force user. Daisy Ridley is everything I have wanted to be since I was ten years old. Is she a bit Mary Sue-ish? Sure. I don't care. This is wish-fulfillment of the highest order, and I can't help but love it for that. I actually deeply appreciate it for that, giving fans like me a character they can see as themselves--rather, for the younger generation who will be seeing this now, and will actually have a character to cosplay as instead of being told they had to be Leia because she's the only girl. Not that I don't love Leia, but she's a politician. I never wanted to be her. I wanted to be a Jedi. Rey is that Jedi.

Bottom line: You don't have to like it. You're allowed to be disappointed by it. Hell, you're allowed to be righteously angry and confused that anyone else did like it. That's all fine. But keep in mind: there's a reason this movie is the biggest thing ever right now, and it's not just the nostalgia goggles. Hell, I have a LOT of questions about how certain things happened or why they were done, and I question the casting of certain characters, but I still loved it.

Celia Cyanide
12-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Not a joke, and nothing enraged me...the movie just made me feel sort of annoyed and disengaged.

That's kind of what nerd rage is. I think many people who express nerd rage would say they are not literally enraged.

Cyia
12-20-2015, 04:18 AM
Sheldon Cooper would approve of this thread. :)

Beachgirl
12-20-2015, 07:26 AM
It is very nostalgia-driven, but having been raised on the original trilogy, hating the prequels on the first go-round and then warming up to them slightly as the years went by and I started compartmentalizing the things I didn't like about it (Jar-Jar, the dialogue, the love story, the midichlorians) versus the things I actually liked (the fight choreography, the set pieces, Obi-Wan, Ian McDiarmid, the music), I absolutely adored this one and want to go again right now. (Was planning on it actually, but my other party punked out on me and I guess I'm waiting on my rewatch until Christmas. Which is fine--whatever. I had my perfect opening night, and I'm happy.)

SPOILERS for the actual reason I loved this so much: We have a female protagonist. Who is a Force user. Daisy Ridley is everything I have wanted to be since I was ten years old. Is she a bit Mary Sue-ish? Sure. I don't care. This is wish-fulfillment of the highest order, and I can't help but love it for that. I actually deeply appreciate it for that, giving fans like me a character they can see as themselves--rather, for the younger generation who will be seeing this now, and will actually have a character to cosplay as instead of being told they had to be Leia because she's the only girl. Not that I don't love Leia, but she's a politician. I never wanted to be her. I wanted to be a Jedi. Rey is that Jedi.

^^^So very much this. I sat through A New Hope as a 10-year old girl in 1977 and fell in love with everything Star Wars was. From the moment that first star destroyer glided onto the screen, I was hooked. I grew up with it, had the posters on my walls, was a card-carrying member of the original fan club, and even majored in Film Production during my first go-round in college because I was convinced I wanted to work in special effects. The first book I ever wrote, back in high school, was a 200-page Star Wars fanfic. I read EVERY DAMN BOOK of the massive extended universe (and may be harboring a tad bit of resentment that they've been unceremoniously tossed in the non-canon garbage heap). Star Wars was a huge part of my world. The original trilogy could do no wrong in my eyes.

When the prequels came out, I was convinced they would be everything I wanted. Unfortunately, they didn't look, sound or feel like the Star Wars universe I knew and loved. I did grow to enjoy them eventually and I appreciated having more backstory, but they never took hold of my heart or imagination like the original movies.

So, while I have been incredibly excited about The Force Awakens, there has also been an undercurrent of trepidation rippling through me for weeks. Was I getting my hopes up again, only to be underwhelmed the way I felt when I finished watching The Phantom Menace?

I bought tickets for myself, husband and son weeks ago ($18.94 each for IMAX 3D). I've been on spoiler lockdown, threatening to unfriend or do bodily harm to anyone who dared reveal even the tiniest detail. We waited in line for almost 3 hours (we were second in line), wearing our vintage Star Wars t-shirts. The excitement was tangible. But still, that nagging fear gnawed away somewhere deep down inside me.

I needn't have worried. Yes, the movie relied very heavily on nostalgia, but I desperately wanted nostalgia. I needed it. I wanted to be 10-years old again, transported to another time and place in a galaxy far, far away. I wanted this movie to be unmistakably tied to the original trilogy in a way that would be impossible to unravel. I wanted the familial conflict, I wanted a continuation of the original characters, I wanted a Corellian freighter-load of throwback references and tie-ins.

The Force Awakens delivered everything I was hoping for, and then some. The scenes that played out so similarly to scenes from the originals were some of my favorites. For 2 hours, I was that 10-year old little girl again, eyes wide with wonder and literally sitting forward on the edge of my seat. Now, much like I was after A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, I'm left with a dozen unanswered questions about what comes next and the secrets yet to be revealed. The next installment cannot possibly come soon enough.

mellymel
12-20-2015, 08:11 AM
^^I'm just going to ditto what Beachgirl said above. I freaking LOVED it. And I thought the actress who played Rey and the guy who played Fin were AMAZING. I loved the chemistry between them and thought their characters and story lines were awesome. I'm still in shock from one of the scenes, but I won't give away spoilers as many have not yet seen the film.

My family and I were entertained completely and we all left with HUGE smiles on our faces because...STAR WARS!

523 days until Episode VIII. :D

cornflake
12-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Good grief, did most people really have to wait that long? Where I went, there was no wait at all. In fact, the theater was mostly empty. I was sort of surprised, given that it was opening night for a movie that had so much anticipation built up for it.

Was it like, a multi-screen theatre running other screens with it? If not, I can't understand that. Tickets were going for big amounts on resale lots of places.

Kevin Nelson
12-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Was it like, a multi-screen theatre running other screens with it?

Yes, at a showing late Thursday night. This particular theater is some sort of antediluvian holdout that doesn't do online ticket sales, so maybe that helps to explain the empty seats.

Cyia
12-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Yes, at a showing late Thursday night. This particular theater is some sort of antediluvian holdout that doesn't do online ticket sales, so maybe that helps to explain the empty seats.

You're in Autsin, eh? Was this by any chance the bathroom-break hating, child-free Drafthouse?

cornflake
12-20-2015, 09:50 AM
One of those opened recently in my area and I'm so on board with the silence policy, but I don't understand how it jibes with serving full meals in the theatre. I haven't tried it yet because of that - and the ticket price, heh.

Kevin Nelson
12-20-2015, 11:47 AM
You're in Autsin, eh? Was this by any chance the bathroom-break hating, child-free Drafthouse?

No, it was the Galaxy Highland. The Drafthouse does do online ticket sales.

Roxxsmom
12-20-2015, 12:05 PM

My husband and I went to see The Martian tonight (yes, it's been out a while, but we haven't been to the movies in ages), and I sort of expected the place be packed, because both 3D and regular versions of the new Star Wars were showing at screens in the same 14-plex. But it was pretty quiet. There were a few people buying tickets for Star Wars, but it didn't appear to be sold out or anything, and we didn't have to wait in line at the ticked counter.

There were a handful of people in the lobby who appeared to be in costume, but the place was pretty quiet. Not very impressive for the first Saturday night of a long-anticipated blockbuster. I think the days of lining up around the block to see movies for a week or more after opening night are pretty much over.

There were more people in the theater for the Martian than I expected, however, considering how long it's been out. It wasn't full or anything, but there were plenty of other people (in a 14 plex).

kennyc
12-20-2015, 04:12 PM
What? There's a new Star Wars movie???

angeliz2k
12-20-2015, 05:06 PM
To the OP: Even you realize that criticizing the color of the opening crawl is nitpicky. So why allow yourself to get thrown off by that?

In any case, having seen the movie, I actually agree about the whole Empire/First Order, Rebellion/Resistance/Republic thing. I'm still not clear on the relationship between these things. Clearly, the First Order is carrying on from the evil Empire, but are they remnants of the Empire? a new group? Do they control the galaxy, or do they just want to? Basically, where do these two sides stand?

And I don't think those who liked the movie are just wearing nostalgia-tinged glasses. It's appreciably better than any of the prequels, and while I have a few minor issues, the similarities with A New Hope isn't among them (I think it's intentional; we're supposed to understand that history is, sadly, repeating itself).

FWIW, I went to see it at the mall last night, and it was an utter madhouse--the mall and the theater. The theater was full, the mall was a zoo, and they were selling all kinds of SW merchandise inside the theater and just outside. Also, it was $15 or so for an evening, non-3D or -IMAX ticket. Barf. There is a great theater near me that has $7 tickets for shows before noon--and they have recliner seats (so amazing).

kennyc
12-20-2015, 05:51 PM

SPOILERS for the actual reason I loved this so much: We have a female protagonist. Who is a Force user. Daisy Ridley is everything I have wanted to be since I was ten years old. .....

Check out this review in The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/12/star-wars-the-feminism-awakens/420843/

Diana Hignutt
12-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Loved Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8, Kylo-Ren and Supreme Leader Snoke. It was the original cast that didn't do it for me. I didn't particularly care for for Harrison Ford's acting nor that of Carrie Fisher for that matter. I can't believe the First Order went with the all disastrous Death Star upgrade scheme...with the exact same weaknesses that doomed it before.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the movie. I liked it. But maybe, I loved it.

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2015, 04:22 AM

It didn't help that the previews were for Captain America number five hundred, I thought how much of this super hero money grabbing crap are we supposed to endure?

YOU don't have to endure any of them. I don't believe anyone is forcing you to watch them. As for me, I hope they do reach number 500.

Roxxsmom
12-21-2015, 04:44 AM
I knew some Christians that walked from South Park the movie, and a girlfriend that couldn't bear the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, but that's all.

I'm always amazed at people who walk out of movies because they turn out to be exactly as they've been advertised. I can completely understand why some Christians (and non Christians for that matter) wouldn't like the South Park movie, but I'm more confused about how and why they'd expect not to be bothered by it, given that it was rated R and, um, based on South Park, a show that's not known for its wholesome family values.

I've walked out of very few movies in my lifetime. Even if a movie actively annoys me, I tend to stick it out (though I tend to be very picky about which movies I attend these days and wait to hear the reviews, both from movie critics and from people I know whose taste are similar to mine).

I think some of my reluctance to ragequit movies is because I've already paid, though that doesn't stop me from putting books down and not coming back to them. I think with movies, it's because I'm already there, and I'm with another person who may feel differently than I do (it would be extremely selfish to pressure them into leaving a movie they're enjoying more than I am), and it's only a couple of hours of my time I've already committed to.

Books are different. They usually take more than one sitting (usually several) to finish, so if they bore me, or even just are less interesting than other things I could be doing, I may just never come back to it. I don't tend to throw books down in fits of rage, even if something about the book really bugs me, as opposed to bores me.

mellymel
12-21-2015, 04:58 AM
I srsly wish we could start a different thread, or continue this conversation from one of the other Episode VII threads because it kills me to come on here and see "Did anyone else walk out of The Force Awakens" as thread title. Srsly, there's only one movie I ever walked out of in my life and that's because it was reeeeaaaalllly baaaaaaddddd. To walk out of a Star Wars movie after 15 minutes? *shakes head* I just don't get it. I seriously don't. I have listened to people pick movies apart to their death (and usually they are movies I love), but sheesh...the color of the lettering was off? Really? *shakes head again*. Confounded, I am. Silly, some people are.

Cyia
12-21-2015, 05:21 AM
I've walked out of two movies. 1, due to a malfunction in the projector and the second because my mother refused to accept that Tropic Thunder wasn't the rated PG comedy she was expecting until I agreed to watch it with her and she lasted approx. five minutes past the fake ads at the beginning.

Maybe asking a mod for a quick post-port would take the convo elsewhere.

Beachgirl
12-21-2015, 06:36 AM
I srsly wish we could start a different thread, or continue this conversation from one of the other Episode VII threads because it kills me to come on here and see "Did anyone else walk out of The Force Awakens" as thread title.

I have started a new thread because I just couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully the MODS will forgive me.

whistlelock
12-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Things went downhill for me from literally the first frame. The font color on "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...." looked off--sort of greenish. I know that may seem like an incredibly nitpicky complaint, but we're talking about a pretty iconic title card here. You'd think they could at least get the color right.

You can watch all 6 films at once here: http://nerdist.com/watch-all-six-star-wars-films-at-the-same-time/

You'll see that the Long time ago bit isn't exactly consistent across the films. Size, color, and position vary in each of the films. I kinda think you wanted to hate it, Kevin.

CrastersBabies
12-21-2015, 08:02 AM
The bottom line that you simply cannot please some folks.

And, well, some people build up their own expectations so high that they're doomed from the start. It's happened to me for sure.

Glad another thread was started.

Kevin Nelson
12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
You can watch all 6 films at once here: http://nerdist.com/watch-all-six-star-wars-films-at-the-same-time/

You'll see that the Long time ago bit isn't exactly consistent across the films. Size, color, and position vary in each of the films. I kinda think you wanted to hate it, Kevin.

That link clarifies the problem! The font and font color were consistent for all films in the original trilogy. Then they were changed, but were kept consistent across all three prequels. (The slight changes in positioning hardly matter, since the position is subject to the whims of the projection system in any case.)

It was the original trilogy that had the deep blue color I remembered, while the font in the prequels was more whitish. After all the talk about how Episode VII would put the prequels behind us and return to the feel of the original trilogy, what subconsciously bothered me was that the very first thing we see isn't like the original trilogy at all and is much more like the prequels.

I'm not saying the movie was bad because the font color was off. This whole thing is, of course, a very small point. I still think it's a point worth making because there was so very much talk about Episode VII returning to the feel of the original trilogy. And for me personally, some of the most thrilling moments of my childhood were when that deep-blue title card first appeared onscreen. So yes, I will notice details about it. (Incidentally or not, blue is a color that often connotes distance. So what better color to use when introducing us to a galaxy far, far away?)

What I wanted was an original story with the feel of the original trilogy. What I seemed to get was the exact opposite: a carbon copy of Episode IV's story, but with the feel subtly off. It was like a note-for-note imitation of someone else's musical performance that still managed to be slightly off key.

Anyway, I think I'll bow out of this thread now. As I tried to make clear, I know I wasn't in the right mental space to give the movie an entirely fair chance. (My sour experience with Abrams' version of Star Trek may be part of the reason, but that's a whole other can of worms.) I'm glad a lot of people did enjoy the movie.

Stiger05
12-21-2015, 06:39 PM
My husband and I went to see The Martian tonight (yes, it's been out a while, but we haven't been to the movies in ages), and I sort of expected the place be packed, because both 3D and regular versions of the new Star Wars were showing at screens in the same 14-plex. But it was pretty quiet. There were a few people buying tickets for Star Wars, but it didn't appear to be sold out or anything, and we didn't have to wait in line at the ticked counter.

There were a handful of people in the lobby who appeared to be in costume, but the place was pretty quiet. Not very impressive for the first Saturday night of a long-anticipated blockbuster. I think the days of lining up around the block to see movies for a week or more after opening night are pretty much over.

There were more people in the theater for the Martian than I expected, however, considering how long it's been out. It wasn't full or anything, but there were plenty of other people (in a 14 plex).

I think most of the hardcore fans went Thursday. Showings in our theater started at 7pm and went through midnight, and pretty much everyone bought tickets online (I know, because the movie theater screwed up and emailed everyone who bought tickets, but forgot to bcc. For two days I got emails of gifs from the 400 ticket holders they cc'ed in my town). The lines weren't packed at my theater for the 11:15 showing, but the theater itself was when the movie started.

It made $238 million this weekend, so apparently people were watching.

kennyc
12-21-2015, 06:51 PM
It made $238 million this weekend, so apparently people were watching.

Apparently. :D

Sheryl Nantus
12-21-2015, 07:06 PM
I have started a new thread because I just couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully the MODS will forgive me.

I'm not sure why it bothers you.

If you don't like the title of the thread and know the discussion, then don't read it. I do that with a lot, especially when I know I'm going to be on the wrong end of the argument.

He's totally within his rights to not like the movie and to post that he doesn't like it. If you disagree, start a Love Star Wars thread - or post in one of the ones that's already here.

JMO.

kennyc
12-21-2015, 07:30 PM

If you don't like the title of the thread and know the discussion, then don't read it. I do that with a lot, especially when I know I'm going to be on the wrong end of the argument.

He's totally within his rights to not like the movie and to post that he doesn't like it. If you disagree, start a Love Star Wars thread - or post in one of the ones that's already here.

JMO.

Yep!

Beachgirl
12-21-2015, 08:31 PM

JMO.

Which is why, in the other thread, I noted that the discussion in this thread didn't feel like the right place to post spoilers, hash out potential future plot points, debate parentage issues, etc. I'm not the only one who felt that way.

It's also why I started the thread with a note to the Mods to please merge if they felt that was more appropriate.

I agree that the OP has every right to post his opinion. As this thread seemed to be more about walking out of movies, why someone might do so, the headspace people were in going into it... I and others were looking for a place to discuss the actual plot, future potential plot points, etc. and this didn't feel like the right place. No big deal, really. Again, if the Mods think threads should be merged, I defer to them.

KTC
12-21-2015, 08:36 PM
I tend to think that walking out on Star Wars is the new perceived---but not really---cool. If everyone likes it, it must be tres coolies to shun it.

LittlePinto
12-22-2015, 04:09 AM
*sigh*

Now I wish I'd gone Thursday night. Some folks I know went to our local theater and said there were only ten people in the auditorium.

:(

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2015, 04:45 AM
I tend to think that walking out on Star Wars is the new perceived---but not really---cool. If everyone likes it, it must be tres coolies to shun it.

I know that's why I don't want to see it. It's not MY movie any more. It's been co-opted by all these pretend nerds. :D

WriterDude
12-22-2015, 11:53 AM
*sigh*

Now I wish I'd gone Thursday night. Some folks I know went to our local theater and said there were only ten people in the auditorium.

:(

This was my experience of Phantom menace, where the hype obliterates the demand. A casual fan or movie goer is going nowhere a place that, by all accounts, had nut jobs queuing outside for a week. Maybe see it the next week and avoid the hassle.

redfalcon
12-25-2015, 06:01 AM
My wife and I spent 23.50 each for the directors suite seats. Well worth it, it would have been better if the Deathstar 3.0 destroyed the planet of the Jar Jars in its first salvo, but you can't have it all.

I must say the Skywalker and Solo families are damn dysfunctional, to bad they don't have a Jerry Springer the Hutt.

josephperin
12-25-2015, 06:53 AM
No. But I did drop off to sleep with 3D glasses on my face. Does that count?

blacbird
12-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Things went downhill for me from literally the first frame.

Yoda. You seek Yoda. Take you to him I will.

caw

Celia Cyanide
12-25-2015, 09:07 AM

That's what she did, isn't it?

Primus
12-29-2015, 10:01 AM
My wife and I spent 23.50 each for the directors suite seats. Well worth it, it would have been better if the Deathstar 3.0 destroyed the planet of the Jar Jars in its first salvo, but you can't have it all.

A part of me was so hoping that that rumor Jar–Jar was a Sith Lord was true. I would have laughed my ass off if when Kylo removed his mask, it was that "please smack me" face of everyone's favorite Gungan. Or if it had been Matt Damon.

So you can't please everyone. I didn't walk out. I loved it and plan to see it again in IMAX.

kennyc
12-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Saw it over the weekend enjoyed it! Can see why some say it is just a remake of the original. Still worth my $7.50 in 3D. :)

Tazlima
12-29-2015, 06:26 PM
... my mother refused to accept that Tropic Thunder wasn't the rated PG comedy she was expecting until I agreed to watch it with her and she lasted approx. five minutes past the fake ads at the beginning.

I feel your pain. We tried to warn her she wouldn't enjoy it, but my grandmother insisted on going to see Bad Boys 2 in the theatre. She was a fan of Will Smith because he was so "cute and funny" in Fresh Prince. She walked out and demanded her money back after the first few minutes.

On the other hand, she and a group of her elderly friends all went together to see Sixth Sense. When she came home, she said it wasn't bad, but the ending was "confusing." There were five or six of them there, and not a single one understood the twist. Her face when we explained it? Priceless.

I guess you take the bad with the hilarious...

Shaba
01-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I find it interesting that I've heard multiple people compare the chemistry between Daisy Ridley and John Boyega to Hepburn and Tracy or Bogie and Bacall.

The people who are saying this might need to re-watch the classics. Great chemistry, yea, but on the level of those actresses and actors? No way.

Myrealana
01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Well, I loved it. I liked the homage to the original movies. I thought it came right up against the line between homage and repetition without *quite* going over. It had the look and feel of the original trilogy without feeling dated. It was a great ride and I was in from the beginning. I had managed to avoid all spoilers, and the shocking death left me breathless and totally blown away.

The bottom line is that, as Tim Buckley of CTRL+ALT+DEL said "For the first time since 1999, when the credits rolled, I found myself saying 'I can't wait for the next Star Wars movie,' instead of 'Maybe the next one will make up for it.'"

People are entitled to their own opinions, of course, but for my money, I haven't had such a good time in a movie since The Avengers. (And for that, I'm obviously a fake geek, because I've never read an Avengers comic in my life. I'll surrender my real geek card to anyone who can identify more episodes of ST:TOS than I can.)

The only real problem I had with it was how can Kylo Ren be so mushy faced and unattractive, given his parentage? What a let-down he was.

GregM
01-16-2016, 01:37 AM
I saw it opening night, and honestly I was really close to walking out after 15 minutes as well. It did get a little better towards the end, only slightly.

It was like watching a movie I'd already seen and loved, but rebooted and ruined with a new 'emo' next gen touch I didn't understand nor connect with, and I felt made worse with poor acting/writing.

I will watch the next ones, but more out of a sense of obligation, then any confidence I have for JJ to bring anything fresh, unique, compelling, or interesting to the table.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just out of touch. My thoughts only.