PDA

View Full Version : Baldy Back Annie

AZ_Dawn
12-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Our weather has been pretty wacky here (in the 80s as late as last week), so most of our chickens decided to molt in December. It looks like a bird exploded in the run! ;) Heck, Chick had a few bald patches on her butt for about a week, which was amusing as long as it was warm.

Most of the girls are growing their feathers back, but not Annie. She's just started molting, and now has a big bald patch on her back. Just in time for some truly cold weather; 29 for a low and an 80% chance of rain tomorrow.
:Jaw:
I know she'll probably be all right. Her feathers will grow back soon, the other chickens will keep her warm at night, etc. I'm still worried for Annie.

Maryn
12-14-2015, 02:34 AM
Clearly you need to knit a small chicken jacket.

AZ_Dawn
12-14-2015, 03:49 AM
It's certainly tempting, though I'm not sure I could 1) get it done in time or b) convince Annie to let me or somebody else measure her. Still, we have the coop packed with straw and the girls will probably cuddled up, so hopefully it won't be too cold for her.

ETA: We also drape a wool blanket on the coop for insulation.

Wicked
12-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Do you have a heat lamp?

It's colder here, but my chickens have been cuddling up under the heat lamp at night. Dinking around with extension cords is a pain, but it takes the worry out of those extra cold nights. :)

Some of my more delicate babies aren't really liking this cold, either. Heat lamp, heated water dish, and probably better insulation than we have in our house, and they still give me the hairy eyeball when I walk in to feed them.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/wicked1991/fa62db53-f1cc-4561-883a-6e01a30f430a_zpsurfmorhg.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/wicked1991/media/fa62db53-f1cc-4561-883a-6e01a30f430a_zpsurfmorhg.jpg.html)

AZ_Dawn
12-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Those are peacocks, right? They look lovely!

Annie survived the night, so my fears were happily unfounded. I know in the back of my mind that chickens have survived harsher conditions, but it's hard to remember that when it's my chicken-nieces.

Do you have a heat lamp?

It's colder here, but my chickens have been cuddling up under the heat lamp at night. Dinking around with extension cords is a pain, but it takes the worry out of those extra cold nights.
Nope, no heat lamp; the coop and run are low-tech.

Wicked
12-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Those are peacocks, right? They look lovely!

Yes, they are. Thank you.

Yeah, where you are, a blanket is probably plenty of insulation. :)
Glad to hear she did fine.

If you feel guilty with worry, just give her an extra helping of corn or treats. It works wonders. There is no such thing as a spoiled chicken. LOL ;)

Maryn
12-14-2015, 11:21 PM
I dunno, that time Mr. Maryn trimmed two of the three chicken breasts for cooking and left the third out overnight, there was too such a thing as spoiled chicken...

MaryMumsy
12-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Glad poor bald Annie seems OK.

Maybe 35 years ago (we've been in this house 40 years, so sometimes it's hard to remember when things happened), one of our neighbors had peacocks/peahens. We're zoned for livestock, so it was OK until they escaped. They were all over the neighborhood. On peoples' roofs, and shrieking up a storm. I have no idea what happened to them, but it was a sight to see/hear for six months or so.

MM

Wicked
12-15-2015, 01:44 AM
I dunno, that time Mr. Maryn trimmed two of the three chicken breasts for cooking and left the third out overnight, there was too such a thing as spoiled chicken...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/vomit.gif That is a different kind of spoiled all together. :P

We only have one neighbor within a half mile of us. Hopefully he's immune to the noise over here by now.
Peacocks, call ducks, guineas, and a son with a beat up old bronco that sounds like it has no muffler.

I don't know, I have to listen to him sing and talk to himself when he's outside, I figure it's a trade off.

mirandashell
12-15-2015, 01:49 AM
You can hear him talking from half a mile away?

Wicked
12-15-2015, 01:58 AM
You can hear him talking from half a mile away?

No, no, he's the only one closer than a half mile. Maybe 1,000 ft from our house. When I'm outside I can hear him.

mirandashell
12-15-2015, 02:06 AM
I was gonna say, that's bloody good hearing!

AZ_Dawn
12-16-2015, 03:23 AM
Yeah, where you are, a blanket is probably plenty of insulation. :)
We put an old comforter over the blanket last night, just in case. We've got hard freeze watches for the next couple of nights and there's weather rumors of a possible White Christmas.

If you feel guilty with worry, just give her an extra helping of corn or treats. It works wonders. There is no such thing as a spoiled chicken. LOL ;)
Oh yeah, they're getting popcorn for Christmas again! Don't think I can sneak Annie some extras, though; the girls are pretty attentive when it comes to treats. :tongue